World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
WSF Hardcore Haircut
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a long weekend up from Kent to fish West Pier at Lochaline in mid June, any advice on times,tides, rigs bait etc. would be greatly appreciated. Also standby venues if it isn't fishing?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
That pier was a recent feature in TSF. There is plenty info in that.

Tides aren't that much of an issue a 50 yd cast will put in 300ft of water so make sure you fill you reels up. It will fish on both ebb and flood. Baits squid and mackeral for thornies, conger, spurs doggies. Down the sides of the pier and along the rocks to the right for pollock, wrasse and a host of other species. Take jelly worms for the pollock, rag and sandeels might also be a useful bait under a float.

Rigs are simple running ledgers, pulleys and single hook clipped downs. Nothing fancy is needed.

Good Luck

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
Planning a long weekend up from Kent to fish West Pier at Lochaline in mid June, any advice on times,tides, rigs bait etc. would be greatly appreciated. Also standby venues if it isn't fishing?

Hiya, You shouldnt go wrong at LA Mid June...but make sure you have braid on yer reel, with a mono leader... as you are straight into well over 200 foot off the pier....all sorts of rigs work...Running ledgers, Small Baited Hokkais, Baited Muppets,etc etc, bait is generally Mackeral,Squid, and Rag for Pollock and Wrasse., It fishes all through the tide too........let us know when exactly you are up....we ( Davy and I) should be up there too then.....:):) you can also try Lochs Sunart,and Linnhe which you pass on the way to LA....and also Etive...:)

·
WSF Hardcore Haircut
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
17th to 20 th June - thanks for the info - see ya then

was gonna fish 30lb straight thru on a slosh30, don't like casting braid on multipliers, will the tide be too much for that?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I've fished a few different types of braid over the last couple of years and the only one I've had a problem with has been the most expensive - Berkeley Fireline. Even when wound on loosely, it bites in and is a nightmare. Hunt around on ebay for 30lb Berkeley Spiderwire. It's very thin and doesn't bite in unless you are pulling out a snag.

the main reason for braid at the West pier is the depth. Fish with mono and you will never see a bite all day due to the line stretching over that depth.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

As Norrie has already mentioned.. we should be about then so there is a chance you could be sneaking in some boat fishing also :)

·
WSF Hardcore Haircut
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for the info guys, can't wait to0 get up there, my cousin talks about little else at the moment

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
17th to 20 th June - thanks for the info - see ya then

was gonna fish 30lb straight thru on a slosh30, don't like casting braid on multipliers, will the tide be too much for that?
Hmmm, Might well make it that weekend, AND, as my birthday is the 19th, might let you buy me a pint or three !!!! :):)

As for braid, try and get Powerpro, nothing at all to beat it, its round, and doesnt bed in....I/we used it from the shore to cast whole Mackeral, and a 12oz weight , on an expidition up there once, a couple of years ago,, it did the job extremely well.....also, I have it on a spinning reel...no problems at all...:):) Tide at 2-300 feet might just be too much for mono on a caster, and certainly off the boat it wont be any use at all, not unless you want to fish with 2-3 lbs of lead...:):) and mibbes more !!! :)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Norrie have those big girls turned up yet???? Got a bell off FastD and he is hoping to go over in a couple of weeks time with me as the deckie.It will be a midweek 1/2 day venture so "the boss" aint too bothered about that. As long as I keep off the weekends as that would interfere with our Mull of Galloway jaunts to the caravan.

Cannot complain I suppose as still got "lads week" in Aug to look forward to :) Will return to LA with you and Davy,that is my destiny :)

Looking forward to seeing you all down the MOG shortly :)

·
WSF Hardcore Haircut
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are we talking pints of beer or whisky?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Hmmm, Might well make it that weekend, AND, as my birthday is the 19th, might let you buy me a pint or three !!!! :):)

thats your birthday also norrie :notworthy might just have to pop up an have a wee chuck about that weekend aswell !!:drunk: :drunk:

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
Are we talking pints of beer or whisky?

he he he,,...Whatever you want it to be !!!! :):)

Snatcher, I canny get time off midweek, and why is it just a halfshift ??...bit of a trek for a few hours fishing...IMHO ....but, better than nothing I suppose....good luck on it....BTW, Dave makes you lick the boat clean mate !!!!!:boat:

Guy, Aye , would be good to see you before the Mull mate !!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can use all the fishbaits which will get you conger, thornback and the inevitable Lsd.I use a abu 7000 filled to the brim with 25ib line and a good shockleader. Sometimes carefull timing is needed to avoid being on the pier at the same time that a ship is being loaded with logs.When there is a ship in i travel back into Lochaline village and turn left on the road to Drimnin where there are plenty of rock marks where you will still be fishing into deep water.You can also fish along the south side of Loch Sunart where you will get Pollack Wrasse and doggies.I have had Pollack to Nine pound on float fished crab and spinners.As an alternative you could fish Loch Linnie at Ardgour near the ferry behind the salmon farm. You will get Thornbacks and doggies.The water here is fairly shallow and a little bit weedy. Good fishing!.

·
WSF Hardcore Haircut
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cheers for the info kjm, roll on June!!!

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

There is no need to head away from LA if the wood boat is in.. the rocks to the right hand side of the pier fish just as well, if not better than the pier it's self.

·
WSF Hardcore Haircut
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
we plan to bring enough different gear that we can try various methods all around the pier........I read in the TSF that the sides are good at night for smaller congers?

so what does it feel like hauling up a 200 pounder from that depth Davy?

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

It's interesting :)

The best fish I've had off the pier was a 12lb thornie though I did have an encounter with a decent sized common.. it won :)

I've had congers to 19lb 8oz of the rocks but none off the West pier it's self and Shaun had one of 21lb off a mark I fish up there. last Saturday I had Pollack to 8lb 4oz drifting along in front of the rocks using jelly worms. I'm gonna try it from the shore this weekend while I've got the boat beached for some repairs

·
WSF Hardcore Haircut
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
good luck mate, jellyworms seem to be the thing for pollack from what i've read but have you tried shads?

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,
good luck mate, jellyworms seem to be the thing for pollack from what i've read but have you tried shads?
to quote a well known Scottish Sea angler and member of this site.... "Shads are sh*te" :)

Yup mate tried them a few times with very little success, I always seem to do far better with the jellies, the Calcutta firetails that are sold on here have been doing very well :)

·
WSF Hardcore Haircut
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanx for the info Davy, looking forward to seeing how you get on

1 - 20 of 31 Posts