World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As well as my week on the Moray Firth at easter, the missus has just informed me that next saturday (31st) we are going up to my sister in-laws at Lochgoilhead for a week, can anyone point me in the direction of any nice easy sea fishing marks?. Before anyone has a go because I asked for easy marks , let me explain that my only real sea fishing experience is a bit of mackrel bashing in the summer, and to put it mildly I still have a LOT to learn:g: :g: . I'm not bothered in the slightest what I catch, but catching something would be nice . Thanks very much in advance for any help anyone can give me. My missus is 8 months pregnant as well, so I obviously don't want to be travelling to far from home, just in case:yeah: :yeah: . You lads on here were extremely helpful with my questions about the Moray Firth:clap3: :clap3: , and I'm sure somebody will point me in the right direction :notworthy :notworthy .

·
Hardcore Poster
1,575 Posts
Hya Grimmer
I would fish roundabout the small pier at Carrick Castle - possibly with a sliding float and ragworm if possible. Main species would be coalies , pollack and codling - all small (it might be a bit early for wrasse) . I got a couple of tiddlers - pollock and a gurnard there a few years ago . I am not an expert on the area - so hopefully someone else will come on with better info,
Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
i always fish the rocks just by the toilets after carrick be carefull how you park though the owners of the house above the track dont give you any lee way but here you get pollack and coalies on the float and flounders codling pollack on the bottom you can dig bait on the wee beach on the right people spin here all year round for sea trout never seen any getting cought though seen plenty jumping all fish seem to be very small so dont expect much

·
Registered
775 Posts
generally the clyde will be pretty poor for a month or so yet.

wouldn't fish the goil till mid summer, if at all.

but the amrks you've been given are probably your best bet of a fish ot two - tight lines

·
Registered
749 Posts
i fish there in the summer and absolutely love the place! lucky for me the outlaws live on the lochside unlucky for me its a550 mile drive to get there! plenty of mackerel and pollack from the pier although the end of it has been locked by the mod. bottom is quite snaggy. but a beautiful place to fish i want to sell up and move there!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i always fish the rocks just by the toilets after carrick be carefull how you park though the owners of the house above the track dont give you any lee way but here you get pollack and coalies on the float and flounders codling pollack on the bottom you can dig bait on the wee beach on the right people spin here all year round for sea trout never seen any getting cought though seen plenty jumping all fish seem to be very small so dont expect much
At the risk of sounding stupid:help: what bait will I be digging:g: , to be honest I'm not really bothered what I catch, just after getting out and wetting a line. What stage of the tide would I be better off fishing?? Thanks for all the replies lads you really are a helpful bunch on here:notworthy , a lot more helpful than a lot of course fishing sites I could mention, :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

·
Registered
52 Posts
:giveup:
:giveup: This place is believe or not is on a private road and we welcome all fishermen and tourist alike what we don't want is your cars and litter.
:idea: why not follow the code and park in the car park take your litter home with you. the walk is only about 900 yds. everybody and a good time can be had by all.
For interest last year beach clean for carrick was three large skips with the majority being fast food packing , fishing paper of all the tackle you bought before you came food cartons ect beer cans broken bottles.I know it is hard to believe but this is our back garden I am sure you would not like it if every day someone came in and left their crap for you to pick up. play fair and nobody will give you grief .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

:giveup: This place is believe or not is on a private road and we welcome all fishermen and tourist alike what we don't want is your cars and litter.
:idea: why not follow the code and park in the car park take your litter home with you. the walk is only about 900 yds. everybody and a good time can be had by all.
For interest last year beach clean for carrick was three large skips with the majority being fast food packing , fishing paper of all the tackle you bought before you came food cartons ect beer cans broken bottles.I know it is hard to believe but this is our back garden I am sure you would not like it if every day someone came in and left their crap for you to pick up. play fair and nobody will give you grief .
:clap3: Thanks for that, the last thing I want is to upset the locals, if your about next week I'll be the big daft one trying to suss out what I'm doing, :g: :g:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Post how you get on grimmer

one of my inlaws runs the holiday camp there and has invited us to pay them a visit.

i was thinking of taking a rod up

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

no offence i was just making it clear that cars wherent welcome i remember you told us to move the car once and you wherent very friendly but see what you mean it was choca with mackerel bashers i do make a point of taking litter bagsfor my stuff and in case i need to clear my feet though

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well to put it mildly the fishing was a bit pants:yucky: , having said that I did only fish during the day at the side of Carrick castle. The total for the week (3or4 sessions) was the smallest codling in the world (6 inch), various crabs (They were big ones though:) ) and a starfish. The weather was absolutely brilliant though, took some warm gear with me, what I should have really packed was some suncream and some extra shorts, :clap2:. Not much of a catch report, but there you go:fishing: :fishing:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
At the risk of sounding stupid:help: what bait will I be digging:g: , to be honest I'm not really bothered what I catch, just after getting out and wetting a line. What stage of the tide would I be better off fishing?? Thanks for all the replies lads you really are a helpful bunch on here:notworthy , a lot more helpful than a lot of course fishing sites I could mention, :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:
like the p&p forum brian ,i see you found the wsf forum ,good
bunch of lads,and a lot of good tips, i like my piking but really glad to be back at sea angling ,enjoy your stay at campbells kingdom,,neil:) :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been reading this thread, was thinking of popping over and spinning for sea trout, whats my chances in August? Does bait work? ifso which? and will a normal spinning rod and a toby do? I usually fish freshwater so am a newby!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts