World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just seen this on nrk the Norwegian news service
It talks abouty the biggest ever concentration of cod in one place - they recon that there was between 50 and 60 thousand tons of fish in a 3 square kilometer area - the average weight of the fish was 8 kg.
Here is a fishfinder picture
torsk lofoten..JPG

The full article
https://www.nrk.no/nordland/oppdage...ite-omrade-i-vestfjorden-i-lofoten-1.14975018
Just a little tip - signs of interest make it far easier to make future posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Shame to think the uk used to have stocks like that many years ago and won’t recover any time soon. Norway may appreciate having that food resource when other food sources become scarce or heavily inflated price with Covid-19 likely to be affecting productivity in a lot of countries.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! Spawning cod, do you think?
spawning surely but here there have been some very dense accumulations of fish based on the swarming of sand eels, in the last few weeks.
Fishing trip planned for saturday - the weather has been really foul up until now but there is a little hole appearing then.
Fridges are pretty full from dumper diving but there should still be some room.
Cheers from the west coast.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
You are making a lot of us UK anglers very envious, not only due the usual better stock and quality of fish, but now also our ability to get out fishing, with that activity currently banned in the UK. Hopefully we'll be allowed to resume in a few weeks time.

Do you think the Norwegian government will be allowing fishing tourists to visit by August?

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
The Sandeel shoals will determine how many fish there are in the Fjords during the summer months, if they are there in numbers then the fish will follow and they are easy enough to find by watching the birds.

Reading the Norwegian newspapers (translated to English) I don't expect Norway to see any Unlock measures until early May, although many Northern municipalities have started to complain to central government that the bulk of their income is made from tourism and they will go bust if the lockdown is in place for too long, but this is a fact the world over.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i cant see any letup - not for a loong time.
Yes there are complaints and surely sooner or later people will be let in - but what is appearing in the us is that the virus has been with us for some time. By checking sewage it is possible to determine how many people are infected. In Boston they found that some 2500 people should have been infected when the reported number was a fraction of that - that means that if these figures are correct then there are many people infected who dont know they are and presumably carry the possibility of infection with them.
Picture the scenario - Norway opens its gates and immediately some people start to die - The state will have these reports too.

Here on the west coast most of the shops are normal - travel is pretty normal and people are keeping their distance - EVERYONE seems to be playing their part even though we hear otherwise from time to time. One infection after the all clear -----

Very few are going to go bust - the state has come up with generous packages and the amount is massive.
I dont think we will see many visitors this year -

Tomorrow its lug digging - been considering some long lining but not so sure as the weather window is pretty small.

Got a jigging machine to try - 24 volt, the programs seem easy enough to understand and the boat come complete with some extra rigging for this - weel see. Lot to learn, dont seem to be any books or good videos on jiggers so will have to make it up.

The sand eels seem to be pretty closely followed by predators - yes they do go up the fjords, but normally it would be a little earlier here - jan/feb - my usual fishing places out to sea often are pretty empty - april, may they return to normal.
Our fjords here are pretty heavily fished - the nearest by the atlanterhavsveien is often so heavily fished there is a lot of friction. In one place there is a permanent longline. Quite useful as those fish that are not taken are fed.

There is one place in the nearest fjord where it is some 200 meters deep where large numbers of fish of different species appear - it is only some 100 meters by 30 so netting is not possible. Ive had squid,cod,lyng,whiting,pollock all in that narrow area and pretty much all at once - week later, nothing.
Fredrik and me - apolagies for the editing, a bit soupy but grannies love it.

·
Registered
15,328 Posts
spawning surely but here there have been some very dense accumulations of fish based on the swarming of sand eels, in the last few weeks.
Fishing trip planned for saturday - the weather has been really foul up until now but there is a little hole appearing then.
Fridges are pretty full from dumper diving but there should still be some room.
Cheers from the west coast.
Good luck! Not jealous at all :( :cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
15,328 Posts
By the way, I always appreciate your posts and find them interesting. :)

Sorry, I should respond more often really

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
I hope you are wrong hyse as most countries populations are supporting the advise to stay at home for now, but if the lockdown goes on for too long then I can see a lot of unrest and possible riots as people become more interested in the economy than their health as there is little point being alive if you can't afford to live and even the wealthy countries cannot afford to pay their help packages indefinitely.

Imposing a lockdown is one thing, but there has to be an unlock strategy that everyone knows about or the population will start to get nervous the longer it goes on and I'm certain that many countries governments will have their own battles as those that fight for health restrictions are being met by those who fight for the economy.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Please keep the posts coming ,I'm still hoping to get to Hammerfest much later in the year. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
11,726 Posts
Yes there are complaints and surely sooner or later people will be let in - but what is appearing in the us is that the virus has been with us for some time. By checking sewage it is possible to determine how many people are infected. In Boston they found that some 2500 people should have been infected when the reported number was a fraction of that - that means that if these figures are correct then there are many people infected who dont know they are and presumably carry the possibility of infection with them.
Picture the scenario - Norway opens its gates and immediately some people start to die - The state will have these reports too.

Here on the west coast most of the shops are normal - travel is pretty normal and people are keeping their distance - EVERYONE seems to be playing their part even though we hear otherwise from time to time. One infection after the all clear -----

Very few are going to go bust - the state has come up with generous packages and the amount is massive.
I dont think we will see many visitors this year -

Tomorrow its lug digging - been considering some long lining but not so sure as the weather window is pretty small.

Got a jigging machine to try - 24 volt, the programs seem easy enough to understand and the boat come complete with some extra rigging for this - weel see. Lot to learn, dont seem to be any books or good videos on jiggers so will have to make it up.

The sand eels seem to be pretty closely followed by predators - yes they do go up the fjords, but normally it would be a little earlier here - jan/feb - my usual fishing places out to sea often are pretty empty - april, may they return to normal.
Our fjords here are pretty heavily fished - the nearest by the atlanterhavsveien is often so heavily fished there is a lot of friction. In one place there is a permanent longline. Quite useful as those fish that are not taken are fed.

There is one place in the nearest fjord where it is some 200 meters deep where large numbers of fish of different species appear - it is only some 100 meters by 30 so netting is not possible. Ive had squid,cod,lyng,whiting,pollock all in that narrow area and pretty much all at once - week later, nothing.
Fredrik and me - apolagies for the editing, a bit soupy but grannies love it.
Happy days Bertie. Fantastic video footage.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I hope you are wrong hyse as most countries populations are supporting the advise to stay at home for now, but if the lockdown goes on for too long then I can see a lot of unrest and possible riots as people become more interested in the economy than their health as there is little point being alive if you can't afford to live and even the wealthy countries cannot afford to pay their help packages indefinitely.

Imposing a lockdown is one thing, but there has to be an unlock strategy that everyone knows about or the population will start to get nervous the longer it goes on and I'm certain that many countries governments will have their own battles as those that fight for health restrictions are being met by those who fight for the economy.
Yes you are quite right - however it is clear that nature is making a statement and continued abuse will lead to more. Consider our oceans - florida is suffering considerably from harmful algal blooms - nerve toxins carried on the wind - there was in incident of this in the channel a couple of years ago - dear old beeb said it was from a factory spill as they clearly didnt want to alarm the population - however most of the daily papers printed the truth.
Consider most peoples lives - just the same as always, no change - theyve got to. Global warming!!! for a start.
Mortgages,debt - yeah ive had a mortgage to pay - pretty heavy stuff that, but ive lived a very alternative life found ways to sort problems that ive never seen anyone else do - if i can do it so can anyone.
Now i have very little income but i have 2 boats on the sea - nice house,car How do i do it?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Happy days Bertie. Fantastic video footage.
Many thanks Nick - some time ago - enjoyed making the music but am all grown up now(hihiii)
Cancelled fishing today, the prop pitch altering gear needed sorting and i changed the oil - most of it anyway.
Some others were out and it was pretty poor according to them - well until they got about 9 km out - i recon the fjords are pretty full right now.

Found a whale - poor thing - been finding quite a few - this one was about 15 foot - the last one was 30 ft.
The nearest whale catching deppo is not far from here - they are having a hard time selling their catch (hihi)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts