World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I am looking for a couple of long cast fixed spool reels, but I am not sure what is the best option for me and would appreciate some advice.
Big pit reels would seem to suit my needs, but the main thing I want is a reel with a manual bale arm rather than automatic one.
I looked at the Penn affinity and surfmasters but they had differing reviews, so I have ruled them out. I had a Shimano but did not get on with it.
I had a look at the H Gun BP10 but could not see anything about the bail arm on the specifications.
Do any of you have any others that you would recommend?
Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
188 Posts
Which bit of the Shimano didn't you get on with? Mine had a nasty habit of closing the bail arm mid cast until I took out the automatic bail closer. Nearly threw it in the sea a couple of times until I sorted it (literally took about 10 mins), then became my favorite fixed spool

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which bit of the Shimano didn't you get on with? Mine had a nasty habit of closing the bail arm mid cast until I took out the automatic bail closer. Nearly threw it in the sea a couple of times until I sorted it (literally took about 10 mins), then became my favorite fixed spool
Same as you bud, bail arm closing during the cast.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh by the way, I will be teaming them with a pair of 16 foot Shakespeare Blue metals

·
Registered
188 Posts
Same as you bud, bail arm closing during the cast.
Yes it's really annoying and I could see an accident happening sooner or latter! If you take the little cover off the side of the rotor then you can remove the spring, nylon ramp and push rod that initiate the automatic bail arm feature, and always put back when you come to sell. I really like the shimano switchgear for the anti reverse and drag adjustment as they just feel a bit more positive than my penns do.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Probably worth mentioning that I was told it was more to do with my casting then anything else. I fish with multis now most of the time, so you can imagine how thats panning out!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably worth mentioning that I was told it was more to do with my casting then anything else. I fish with multis now most of the time, so you can imagine how thats panning out!
I am the same a multiplier guy but want a couple of fixed spools for fishing with my long rods. I go to Alderney every year and would like to try braid to enable further distance and a faster retrieve rate to get the end gear off of the bottom away from the rocks

·
Registered
486 Posts
i have a akios scora 100 with a manual bail arm which i think a is very good reel and effortless to cast,they are made or designed by the person who used to design reels for abu then started his own company i believe. i always was a shimano man through and through but thought i would try the akios. they also make an 80 which is the same reel with a smaller spool, its worth a look

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, some food for thought there

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Reason a lot get them to snap shut is because snatch the cast so give the reel a lot of inertia like with over head thumps so things turn so bail gets released mind some have weak catches like the first of the ABU ultracasts didnt have enough tension on plate so handle turned knocking into gear

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I'd go with ultegras but I'm biased. Got two myself. Aero technium if money is no object.

Regarding bail arm closing I was told to ensure handle pointing down to butt and works for me. Haven't had bail arm close during cast in donkeys years.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have both a Penn Affinity and also a Daiwa Tournament ST, both used with braid. The Affinity has a totally manual bail arm, a long coned "long cast" spool, and is very smooth, has perfect line lay, and has been completely trouble-free, to date. The Daiwa is a bit less bulky, slightly lighter, has a slightly shorter spool, which isn't so much coned as the Penn. Both hold a similiar amount of line, the Penn might have a slight edge, casting-wise, but it's not very much, and the Daiwa is not quite as good line lay, although to be honest, it's never caused any problems. The bail arm is not manual, but has a very firm lock on it. So you would think that the Penn has everything going for it, especially as the Daiwa is twice as expensive, and yet, if I had to choose only one, much as I like the Affinity, it would probably be the Daiwa, - there;s just something about the way it handles, and the feeling of "well-engineeredness" and I know it's totally dependable! Hope this helps,
John.

·
Registered
593 Posts
just like fisherjohn i have a couple of penn affinitys.. only used them a couple of times.. but they are so smooth on the cast ...ive used shimanos for donkeys but the coned spool of the affinity definatley adds some distance...just got to see how long they last,,but short term so far so good..

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Ultegra or Aero Technium better casting reels than the penns. The Penn surfblaster suffers with bail arm closure the shimanos have a a bail lock, just open the bail arm and rotate. You can get the Shimano ultegra for just over a ton and it's a no brainer

1 - 20 of 29 Posts