World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a rant about to occur but humour me cos I need to get it out of my system. :preachon:

I went exploring today with lot of help and directions over the phone from WilkyBar Kid. Thanks also to Foxy and Slippy :notworthy:notworthy

It became apparent only after a mother of a descent that the area I intended to fish was almost totally unfishable due to possible Gill net or longline! Rubbish!! It was about 60yds out from my rock platform and ran parallel to the cliff for about (est.) 60-70yds in either direction. It was marked by very small red buoys and even smaller green ones about 10ft inside the line of whatever it was. B*****d's!!!!!!! :boxing:

I'd hiked all the way there so attempted to fish inside of it against my better judgement. 3 hours up to high and 1 and a half down. I ledgered one rod and floated another. I used maccy, squid, sandeels, black lug and some old salted blow lug. I even used a little peeler I had left over. Not a touch! I adjusted the float until I was touching bottom and back up over time. Nada! Zilch! Diddly ****in squat!!! :uhuh:

Could be the wrong tide, conditions and tactics but my money is on the fact that the whole area was covered by this net or line. I couldn't cast over it cos I would have got snagged up for sure.

I climbed back up having to stop several times to deal with the excess lactic acid situation in my calves and figured I'd go fish what I now know to be the sewage outlet. It looked accesible as I walked past on the way out so I stopped there to set up on the way back.
You ****in B****rds!!!!! :banghead: Another... net/line cutting off all decent chance of fishing. This time the buoys were almost invisible. They were so small but I was looking for em this time. Now do I have my wetsuit in the boot of the car I thought and swim out there with my bait knife??? :idea:
Why are the buoys so small?? Are these nets/lines illegal????

I heard from a friend from Bideford the other day that a couple of guys had claimed to have had 100+ Bass from near here in one session. I think I now know why!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
With the fishing as bad as it was last night near Padstow, it was almost as if there was one streching across the camel lol. 1 whiting and 1 doggy to Glassback, nothing for me and Bigman, from 9pm till 2 am. The complete opposite to the last time we went!!!
Don't know the law on these nets, but how are they fixed??? Could you snag one with shock leader loaded onto reel and haul it in??

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like pots to me mate - with the floats small and a fair distance apart like that.

I suppose it could of been a longline - at the end of the day you can make them any length you like; but with the floats as described - i'd put cast on it being pots :)

SS
Yeah I hear what you're saying and I assumed it was a pot when I saw the 1st one. That is until I noticed the 2nd. All I can say is having seen both sets at both locations I'm pretty certain they were connected together. Legal or illegal I would have no idea. I was just miffed personally cos it interfered with my fishing

I guess 100yds in length was probably about right. I was probably measuring on the man scale

ie --------> <----------- That's 6 inches :)

LOL

It's also ironic that the stories I've heard over the past week should have suggested to me that there was probably something here or it had been over fished recently but I just wanted to explore and thought no more of it.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Yeah I hear what you're saying and I assumed it was a pot when I saw the 1st one. That is until I noticed the 2nd. All I can say is having seen both sets at both locations I'm pretty certain they were connected together. Legal or illegal I would have no idea. I was just miffed personally cos it interfered with my fishing

I guess 100yds in length was probably about right. I was probably measuring on the man scale

ie --------> <----------- That's 6 inches :)

LOL

It's also ironic that the stories I've heard over the past week should have suggested to me that there was probably something here or it had been over fished recently but I just wanted to explore and thought no more of it.
matt as you can see the accesability of baggy is not great also most of us with boats havent been out for a while so i dont think over fishing is a problem there is a long liner working from coombe at the moment I know the biggest crab boat in coombe was out last night one of the lads that came down to plymouth on malcs boat is crew on it I will have a chat and find out I reckon they are not nets as I have never seen them off baggy or croyde

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
With the fishing as bad as it was last night near Padstow, it was almost as if there was one streching across the camel lol. 1 whiting and 1 doggy to Glassback, nothing for me and Bigman, from 9pm till 2 am. The complete opposite to the last time we went!!!
Don't know the law on these nets, but how are they fixed??? Could you snag one with shock leader loaded onto reel and haul it in??
I wonder what that boat was doing around the mouth of the bay at 1am ish?
P.S thanks for not mentioning the birdies (yes, another 4 full scale blow ups!!!!)

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
weird one this matt.:g:.there is pots all over baggy at certain times of the year,but they never are that close in.never in casting distance!would like to find out why?and can probally guess why!.its all to do with greed mate if its nets,legal or not they are there for one purpose and thats to make money!!!..shame

anyway dude you sholdnt of blanked on that mark mate...its perfect:unsure:.lol..the nets if they are there wouldnt of taken the wrasse and pollack etc away.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts