World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Team Hr jones
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For making weights, been using a namix
5 3/4oz mould for years, fitting short loops. still going good, butbnow ive ordered a skm 6oz what loops do you recommend long or short? Would longer loop be better grip in fast tides?
Also i do alot of fishing over rock and i would need a good quality Loop otherwise it just get bent outa shape.

Also be using 7 inch wires.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
For making weights, been using a namix
5 3/4oz mould for years, fitting short loops. still going good, butbnow ive ordered a skm 6oz what loops do you recommend long or short? Would longer loop be better grip in fast tides?
Also i do alot of fishing over rock and i would need a good quality Loop otherwise it just get bent outa shape.

Also be using 7 inch wires.
Thanks.

always found the short loop n long wires help stop the lead finding those pi55y little cracks in rocks and gaps etc when fishing rough marks
long tails seem to find more snags i have found

wouldnt worry too much about the loop getting bent, just snip it off when is knackered n stick it back in the melting pot lol :)

ps, i find the loops without a bait clip hold up far better than those with the curled over loop end that forms the clip :)

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
They Look spot on,
Question, can you show how you bend the grip wires so neat, ive allways used rollers, less parts for same effectiveness is what i like.
Unfortunately i don,t think i could put it into words how i bend the wires its just years of practice till i got it right Sorry :(, on certain tides i do use rollers but that depends on how much grip and give i want. With out rollers its a fine line where the wires wont release , ie to much pressure on the wires and with a fish on you can lose the fish if the lead is digging into the sand all the time. The SKM leads are better with rollers because of the width across the lead but this makes the SKM lead with that built in bait clip kinder to the bait in flight in a powerful cast .

·
Registered
449 Posts
Unfortunately i don,t think i could put it into words how i bend the wires its just years of practice till i got it right Sorry :(, on certain tides i do use rollers but that depends on how much grip and give i want. With out rollers its a fine line where the wires wont release , ie to much pressure on the wires and with a fish on you can lose the fish if the lead is digging into the sand all the time. The SKM leads are better with rollers because of the width across the lead but this makes the SKM lead with that built in bait clip kinder to the bait in flight in a powerful cast .
Plus one for ditching the rollers for the reasons above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts