World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a long rod (15ft or more) for the summer and a new reel to use with it. I was wondering about a long rod for use with a multiplier and which multiplier to use for clean ground, also a long rod for a fixed spool reel and which fixed spool?

There is a good chance that the fixed spool rod would only be used for mackie bashing at chesil with feathers.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Thinking of getting a long rod (15ft or more) for the summer and a new reel to use with it. I was wondering about a long rod for use with a multiplier and which multiplier to use for clean ground, also a long rod for a fixed spool reel and which fixed spool?

There is a good chance that the fixed spool rod would only be used for mackie bashing at chesil with feathers.
If you go for the Penn Powerstix 15 it is designed for both multi and F/s , Ive got one that I use with an ABU chrome Rocket, really goes very well
Bungy

·
Registered
85 Posts
I too use a Powerstix with a Supermag xxtra 525 but I prefer a Fixd spool and I use a Penn per my details

B

·
0 Posts
I have a pair of RT XSymmetry 15 footers and they are suitable for use with both Multipliers and Fixed Spools.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
In my experience, anything over 12' is too soft for macky bashing, I'd stick with a 12' FS for that mate

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have a 15ft 2inch WR300
and two 15ft 4inch TT-Rs
all good rough ground tools.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Something that came as a bit of a surprise to me with the 5m K2 rod (not very floppy at all) is its usefulness on rock marks when catching mackerel and pollack. Although a long rod might seem inappropriate for such ground, it in fact gives a big advantage when bringing fish in through the graunch that inevitably grabs at your line close-in as you can get the fish to the surface a bit further out and keep it there. Gives you better control. Also you can lift the fish from the water and swing it up to your rock-ledge rather than dragging it over rocks - good thing if it's going back.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
11,121 Posts
yes but they are working rods not sticks of rubub that you can only over head thump. real fishing rods
exactly which is why i dont own one.

they were designed to get light leads on light line a long way out after small species with bite detection built in for that purpose.

might be a nice summer rod for clean beaches though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
K2 blue metal. ideal for mackeral with 3 or 4oz of lead will send the feathers out over 100yards easily. use a fixed spool with 10lb line and tapered shock. try 'piongdesteres'. 100 sterling for the 5m. great rod for fishing, great for casting and has many uses. good with long rigs for fishing up in the water or scratchin on clean beach for coalies, flounders and dabs. highly recommend it. for the price its a steal. it has boost my catches- cant say that about many rods!

any good quality fixed spool will do the job. penn or mustad. enjoy!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I was thinking about either the 15' or 16'8'' K2 Blue Metal for fishing this summer. Which one is the better of the two?
I was also loooking at F/S reels. i like the look of the new Penn Surfmaster 750 for only £50. Are they a good buy or are there any other eels of a similar price which are better for the money?
I was also going to go for 20lb Fireline or Whiplash braid with the combo. What do you people think is best line wise as some people say mono and a few others say to go for braid?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Something that came as a bit of a surprise to me with the 5m K2 rod (not very floppy at all) is its usefulness on rock marks when catching mackerel and pollack. Although a long rod might seem inappropriate for such ground, it in fact gives a big advantage when bringing fish in through the graunch that inevitably grabs at your line close-in as you can get the fish to the surface a bit further out and keep it there. Gives you better control. Also you can lift the fish from the water and swing it up to your rock-ledge rather than dragging it over rocks - good thing if it's going back.

Cheers - John
I have the 18ft new Penn powerstix for just that reason John, which is surprisingly stiff, also have 16ft AnacondaThe 18ft came into its own recently and enabled me to guide fish and rigs clear of ledges and snags and lift to hand without tears and tantrums----------------well OK a few tantrums when I dropped me sandwich when I struck ! LOL Cant wait for macky time, my legs have no mountain goat abilities but I think I have found the solution, can easily fish long rigs as well to cover more water !

If I could only keep one long rod, it would be the 15ft Powerstix, match it with the new 750 reel and I would be happy---------well with a full lunchbox as well ! The Powerstix 15ft and 18ft are combo rods that take fixed or multipliers, so best of both worlds Baggy !

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I was thinking about either the 15' or 16'8'' K2 Blue Metal for fishing this summer. Which one is the better of the two?
I was also loooking at F/S reels. i like the look of the new Penn Surfmaster 750 for only £50. Are they a good buy or are there any other eels of a similar price which are better for the money?
I was also going to go for 20lb Fireline or Whiplash braid with the combo. What do you people think is best line wise as some people say mono and a few others say to go for braid?
Pass on the rod question, but the penn 750 is ace and I have a pair of the old penn 70s which took some beating. I personally dont get on with braid on the long rods, but use it on all my spinning, baitcasting and light work reels. The Whiplash is ace and does not suffer at first quite so bad from wind knots, but it soon softens up and is equal to most brands. On the long rod a phart of wind and I found the braid knotted quicker than a Man United supporter could crack a tinny. When its calm, very calm I have used it with great success but I always change over to mono if the clouds start to kick their heels up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts