World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I've just ordered a 15ft K2 Titanium. Now a few people have advised me to slow down the cast. Is this referring to pendulam only, is it done by physically slowing up the turn or by a shorter drop?
I have been shown how to pendulam quite a few times but bottle out on the beach and just use OTG or good old thump. MY max . distance over grass was 141 yards. This is something I have to work on!
So it'll see a mixture of all 3 styles I reckon! I'd love to try the arealised OTG also, any links to info. on this style gratefully received!
The one style i felt really happy with was the brighton style as it seemed to be a huge overhead thump off the ground with little grace, only thing I couldn't really work out was how long a drop I should use..advice, advice, advice please guys!
Ryan

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Hi Guys,
I've just ordered a 15ft K2 Titanium. Now a few people have advised me to slow down the cast. Is this referring to pendulam only, is it done by physically slowing up the turn or by a shorter drop?
I have been shown how to pendulam quite a few times but bottle out on the beach and just use OTG or good old thump. MY max . distance over grass was 141 yards. This is something I have to work on!
So it'll see a mixture of all 3 styles I reckon! I'd love to try the arealised OTG also, any links to info. on this style gratefully received!
The one style i felt really happy with was the brighton style as it seemed to be a huge overhead thump off the ground with little grace, only thing I couldn't really work out was how long a drop I should use..advice, advice, advice please guys!
Ryan
My advice Ryan: learn to cast :p
No, seriously, yr cast will slow down, its almost automatic with a long rod. The drop needs to be LENGTHENED....not shortened. Do you cast low reel, or are you an "up the butt" man? (oooer Missus :lmao:) Will help slow it down even more with a low reel. Wnen casting a low reel, whether its a standard 12/13 foot rod, or a 15 foot continental style, you need to apply the power progressively, build it up to the final punch/pull.
Hope this helps m8 :thumbs:

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
just got hold of one of the new sonik sk4 16ft fixed spool rods to try.
i find that with the longer rods its important to build compression gradually and give yourself more time to bring the rod into the delivery point before you "hit it". i,m not too sure about the brighton cast but an ordinary off-the ground goes well, and a good old overhead thump went a suprisingly long way. as for a pendulem, i,m working on it. to slow down, as the previous poster said, legthen your drop.

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
Isn't a 15ft+ rod, too long for attempting the pendulum cast??? I know they used to do it on the grass courts with them rod lengths, but that was a pendulum in the backcasting style.
15ft+ is alot of rod for this technique surely???

·
Banned
44,186 Posts
For some of the longer rods, Penn Powerstix for example, pendulum is not recommended, although I think it's OK with the K2.

Experiment with the length of drop as initially I was using a long drop and not getting the distance, but after shortening it a bit, I found I was hitting it a lot further.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Isn't a 15ft+ rod, too long for attempting the pendulum cast??? I know they used to do it on the grass courts with them rod lengths, but that was a pendulum in the backcasting style.
15ft+ is alot of rod for this technique surely???
provided you make the necessary adjustments mentioned in earlier posts theres no reason you cant pendulum cast with a longer rod.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
For some of the longer rods, Penn Powerstix for example, pendulum is not recommended, although I think it's OK with the K2.

Experiment with the length of drop as initially I was using a long drop and not getting the distance, but after shortening it a bit, I found I was hitting it a lot further.
cant really comment on the powerstick cos i,ve never tried one, perhaps you can tell me the reason why not to pendulem with one. the reason the original poster was advised to lengthen his drop was because he said he needed to slow down. but its obvious shortening your drop suits your casting style so why not:thumbs:

·
Banned
44,186 Posts
cant really comment on the powerstick cos i,ve never tried one, perhaps you can tell me the reason why not to pendulem with one. the reason the original poster was advised to lengthen his drop was because he said he needed to slow down. but its obvious shortening your drop suits your casting style so why not:thumbs:
I presume that it's not designed to take the additional power that pendulum casting can put on the rod.

G

·
the idea of 15 or 16 feet of rod, plus drop, being waved about (sorry, pendulum cast) is a bit scary for fishing purposes......unless on a totally deserted beach!

i saw a chap casting with a long rod today. won't say where, to protect the guilty. the lead went further sideways than forward. perhaps we should start wearing kevlar helmets instead of baseball caps.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers guys, part of the reason I bottle it on the beach is through causing carnage to people or crossing the lines of next 50 peole to my side! Cant wait to try it OTG though and see what it adds...hopefully it will add!!
Ryan

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
the idea of 15 or 16 feet of rod, plus drop, being waved about (sorry, pendulum cast) is a bit scary for fishing purposes......unless on a totally deserted beach!

i saw a chap casting with a long rod today. won't say where, to protect the guilty. the lead went further sideways than forward. perhaps we should start wearing kevlar helmets instead of baseball caps.
you will find this happening anywhere with any rod at times.:yeah::yeah:

·
Registered
37 Posts
As metioned slow the cast down by lowering the drop.

As a starting point i always say to people line the weight up in the same place everytime, that point should be about 1/2 the length of the rod.

Move your feet slightly left or right depending on the direction of the cast. i.e to the left feet pointing slightly more to the right.

If i'm casting a 14ft rod i use about 8 1/2 ft drop. but start with 7-7 1/2 ft
What you need to do is concentrate on one particular cast and get good at that then move on to the others.
Start with an off the ground and i wouldn't even consider moving to the pendulum until you can always cast 180 yds.

This is my opinion and everyone will have there own ideas, good rods will get big distances but you'll be amazed that an hours work down a field will really increase the distances when you only cast one style and get the feel of it, as then you can really start increasing the power. Don't purposly concentrate on slowing the cast down, it happens naturally and does not always feel slow to begin with.

I hope that helps

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers Michael, 180 off the ground...now thats the stuff my dreams are made of! I'd be happy with a 150!!!
Ryan

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Cheers Michael, 180 off the ground...now thats the stuff my dreams are made of! I'd be happy with a 150!!!
Ryan
If you wanna come down for a casting/fishing sesh sometime Ryan, let me know m8. I still aint cracked the magical 200 yet(well, not measured, but reckon I'm close). Would be good to get some casts on video :thumbs:

·
Registered
92 Posts
not wanting to put a spanner in the works but....
a 15 or 16ft rod using the simple brighton style cast should carry a sinker well over 200yds .simple to learn and safe for fishing scenarios,beach or pier

·
Registered
818 Posts
I fish with a pair od 14 foot axellerator surf rods, as already said a steady progressive build up of power from an otg (i like the brighton style) will put a lead out as far as you should ever need

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
lot of sense being talked on this subject, the main thing with the pendulum cast is getting the sinker into the right position b4 you start to rotate your body, then not rushing to apply the final hit, just making the drop longer will not automatically slow you down it can have the opposite effect as the lead has farther to travel to get into position b4 body rotation, the biggest mistake made is to rush into the cast you will know instantly if you have because the rod will feel like you have a house brick on the end of your line and not a 5oz sinker, i think anyone who has cast over grass will say that they are surprised when they find their lead 20 metres further than normal after a cast that felt like they did nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone
I cast o.t.g with 16 foot zziplex rods
the drop i use changes with driffernt leads
long drop small leads 50g to 125g
shorter drop big lead 150g to 300g
if you feel happy with the o.t.g just stay with it your distance will get
better with practice.
I have cast big distance o.t.g practice, practice,practice ??????

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Having used my mates 15ft blue metal with my FS I was amazed at how a simple over head with 5oz + 2clipped small baits sailed over
100 yds and caught me my first bream this season.
Although I have since read that the Titanium FS version is a better
quality stronger blank so I will read with interest how you find it before
I part with some cashola.

As for drop length,I have been reading about long rods being a bonus
when you wish to use "washing line rigs" or particularly long snoods
to create movement to your bait when chasing flatties.....Hence
I assumed you would be able to lengthen your drop length to around
8 feet..(5/6 feet being my normal) although as yet I havent tried
a cast with a long rig with drop at 8 feet..ish and would be interested to read if other anglers use the aforementioned long rigs (Or others) with a long drop and can still cast (overhead) with ease.
Make sure you post any results(likes dislikes) with your Titanium
as itll help with my buying decision.

Cheers

Gazza

1 - 20 of 24 Posts