World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
probably leaving myself open to all sorts of comments here but was wondering what the general opinion was amongst forum members. i have heard all the stories about more distance on casting etc but have yet to see one in use.have read claims about them being useful over rough ground and fast flowing waters,sound magical almost! am i right in thinking its just another fad and that most fish can be caught close in anyway?:g:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I use now 15ft Penns. They give me great bite detection but also longer casting if I need it. Some places you don't others you do.

Remember of course that the length of a rod is its component parts and it is not as long as it says once the two or three sections as the case maybe are shoved into each other. This will knock up to a foot off the length.

Its the old story of centrifugal force or levers, the longer the lever the more power can be generated for less effort, hence the easier casting.

G

·
They are OK - but I find the Penns a little wobbly in the surf/tide making bite detection a little harder! Also a longer rod on a steep beach, rock mark or pier can be a harder to cast not easier!

·
Registered
39 Posts
i use a k2extreme 16'8' with a fixed spool over head thump gets good distance ,its easy fishing.grays triplex mates pleased with his build quality is better and rod tip is great and it sits better in windy conditions.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
K2 Red Metal my dad has one and I'm jealous. With the Poerplay FD7000 it is soooo nice to use. Really scale it down to 10lb main line and you can cast a hell of a long way. I will definately get one to use this summer when i get the money for it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
A long rod can potentially give you greater tip speed, but don't confuse that with 'power', as the same energy input from the caster will actually impart less force on the lead, not more. This force will however be applied over a greater arc, hence 'easier', less timing critical casting.

I often hear anglers say that a long rod gives you greater leverage when casting and fighting fish, this is in fact not the case! The opposite is true; a long rod gives the lead (or fish) more leverage against YOU! This is a simple matter of moments (or turning force) imparted through a lever across a fulcrum. You have hold of the short lever, the fish has the long one! Try and hold a 5lb load on the end of a 15ft beach rod, and compare the physical effort applied to that when you then try with a 7ft boat rod and you notice the difference.

I don't understand why some like to use long rods when rough grounding - I accept they will allow greater control of small fish due to the extra length, but for big fish (usually the target over this type of ground) you are just making things harder for yourself!

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
probably leaving myself open to all sorts of comments here but was wondering what the general opinion was amongst forum members. i have heard all the stories about more distance on casting etc but have yet to see one in use.have read claims about them being useful over rough ground and fast flowing waters,sound magical almost! am i right in thinking its just another fad and that most fish can be caught close in anyway?:g:
i,ve been using a greys triplex, very user friendly, plenty of distance without a load of grunt,easy to transport.:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I bought a "long rod" (15' Century Blackbird) a couple of months ago and matched it to a fixed spool with braid and mono. The outfit is ok but I prefer using my multiplier (low reel) on it.
Its good fun to use though as it casts very smoothly with otg or low pendulum. Bite detection is good and you can keep the line up over the weed and waves.
I did notice the extra leverage hauling in stuff even though the rod is only a foot longer than my other rods.
If you cast with an overhead thump I reckon you'll gain some distance with a long rod but I recommend you try before you buy. They're not for everyone.

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
i use a grauvell hm and tbh is a very light and nice rod to use,but it has its limitations.namely that it moves around in winds to easily and wave action of more 2 or 3 feet can make it hard to detect bikes,yet i've hauled 3 doggies with it no problem.accept its limits and learn to enjoy when is best:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for feedback.reckon its a case of right tool for the job and probably useful in some situations.agree that over rough ground you may struggle targetting larger species, have been told though that it gets your end gear up and out of any snags quicker which is the only plus point in that situation.cant imagine one of these long rods taming a conger!sounds as though these rods are also tippy, so can only really see me using one on the many flat sandy beaches to reach distant gulleys, that i fish in wales, so long as the surf or wind isnt to bad.have i got that about right?

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
thanks for feedback.reckon its a case of right tool for the job and probably useful in some situations.agree that over rough ground you may struggle targetting larger species, have been told though that it gets your end gear up and out of any snags quicker which is the only plus point in that situation.cant imagine one of these long rods taming a conger!sounds as though these rods are also tippy, so can only really see me using one on the many flat sandy beaches to reach distant gulleys, that i fish in wales, so long as the surf or wind isnt to bad.have i got that about right?

pretty well,yeah.thought i would point out though that the rougher conditions don't make the rod fold up or become unusable,they just wobble and move a bit too much when it gets bad

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
I agree with lockstock about the issue with casting a long rod on a sharp banked beach. Or tight area, but then i suppose if you know your going to a beach like that you would take a shorter rod?? Ive got a Mitchell Armada Pro Surf 500 its 16'6" in length. It was reduced in the Veals catalogue from £170 to a great price of just under £80! Im not sure if they have any left? Its a nice light rod but i have to admit its taking a bit of time getting used to it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
hi got a greys triplex 16ft good rod it is alot better on my back and shoulders less effort needed for same distance witch why i bought good build light easy to use tightlines.bob

·
Banned
44,186 Posts
Blanker is right with what he says. Wouldn't use my Penn on a pier or rock mark but on an open flat beach it does come into it's own. Again, more surf = more tip movement but I still wouldn't beach fish without it now.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I bought a Greys Triplex 14' when I was ill. Made a big difference as it managed a decent cast with quite a slow swing from me.
Love the rod but is not the choice for rough ground.
Nice to see so many like the Triplex. Not to sure about using a 16' rod though, but the Greys are very well balanced.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
A valid point there my old man got his K2 Red Metal to aliviate back pains. He found that you could cast alot flatter with a shorter drop. Thus reducing the need to twist to create a greater rod arc and increase speed through the cast.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
as well as Shakespeare, Greys and Grauvell , Shimano make some nice long rods and Conoflex have a model (check with Stan Massey or PhiltheRod if you want to know about it).

They are generally made to bend more easily than 12/13/14ft rods. Even when they are labelled to cast up to 250 gramsd.
You can "always" put support (a rod rest) nearer the tip to steady the rod if it is "wobbling" in wind and tide --- unless you have to stand the tip up high where you are fishing.

If, for some reason, you wanted to use a long rod when strap fishing on rough ground you could consider adding a high-up-the-blank reel seat ("BlackBeard" for USA Stingrays style) so you can have the butt on your foot/the rock and have the reel at chest height for easier leverage. But you would have the nuisance of changing the reel position after & before every cast. And you would lose out (when there's no fish or only a tiny fish on) on the ability to hold the tip very high up to help clear the snags.

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
Blanker is right with what he says. Wouldn't use my Penn on a pier or rock mark but on an open flat beach it does come into it's own. Again, more surf = more tip movement but I still wouldn't beach fish without it now.

i would imagine it depends on the casting weight as well.rocks are pushing it a bit,but i would'nt say i would never use mine for that,just have rods better suited thats all.tidal pulls can put a bit of a bend in them,but still usable in my opinion.as for piers,i can't compare grauvell to penn as i've never used a penn,but the grauvell lifted 2 doggies fine up a pier,3 was a struggle,but the reel was the limiting factor and also trying to lift 3 doggies on the end of 14ft is'nt easy no matter what rod you use:uhuh: .must admit mine is probably a bit stiffer than most long rods as it's rated to cast 250gms,whilst most i think are rated to 175-200gms,although some of the shimano ones can do 250gms as well.it's best feature apart from built quality is the weight,510gms,that is seriously light.as a point of interest i went on a casting lesson with it,the guy giving the lesson thought it would be too soft,but was surprised to find it stiffer than he expected.by the end of the lesson i could do pendulum casts as bad as anybody else there that day.ok it was a bit flexy,but it handled them ok for 150m casts:g:
i would say go for one if you don't need to use it for adverse conditions,and a lazy gentle flick can send it a fair way making the days fishing easier:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts