World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been told that a long tail lead will help a little with my distance as its more stable in flight. would I be right in thinking this wouldn't be the case when fishing a pulley rig with whole squid and id be better using short tail so bait sits closer to lead?
any thoughts on this and any info on short/long tails greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi ,

i personally prefer to keep the bait and lead as close as possible to each other on cliped rigs , that's why i don't like long tails .
... not sure about distance gain (... are casters using longtails ???) , but long tails are suposed to give a better grip , that might be the reason why they are so popular on our sandy beaches (very difficult to find short tails in tackle shops up here , i use to modify long tails!) ... not that i've ever noticed a difference ... !

Cheers , Gert

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I prefer short tails as like Gert I like my bait tucked tight behind the lead, if I need more grip I use stronger longer wires, can't see how long tails give more distance

G

·
I prefer long tails as I find they hold the seabed better.Also when casting I find I get better distances, not that much better but enough that along with better holding ability they are all that I use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts