World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Ummm, long :thumbs:
Usually about 4 inches...I'd say, about 6 inches if you include the part thats actually in the lead :thumbs:

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
looking for longer wires than that, I suppose old bile spokes cut down and re formed will do the job
I suppose that would work, as long as theyre solid...many are tubular. Just dont forget to bend the part that goes into the lead into a hook or similar for security.
Also, could try using grip wires I suppose, thats 18 gauge stainless normally, would probably be easier to form/bend :thumbs:

·
Registered
485 Posts
The only tubular bike spokes I have seen in 25 years in the bike trade are either aluminum or carbon fiber.
DT or Sapim are the best two brands and ask your shop for plain gauge 2.00mm or 14 gauge ones.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was thinking of being a tight arssseee and going for a scrap bike wheel, pair of snips and off the local recycle centre

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Most are usually 4 or 6 inches.

Buy the 6 inch and cut them in half and you half the price.

I find an inch n half of wire in the lead and an inch n half as a tailwire works well enough for me.

You can buy 500 wires for under £20,so thats under 2p each wire when halved. Strong ,safe,fits the moulds and cheap enough to not bother with the hassle of making up wires yourself.

If you want (if the mould allows e.g namix , or other moulds can be drilled to fit) you can make up a built in baitclip to the tailwire using stainless welding wire.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am after longer wires for a home made weighted cod perk 7-8 inch long.
most wires i have sourced are about six inch

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Problem with long tail wires...with a good cast, the turn-over of the lead at what I call the transition point is so quick that the wire gets bent, and the lead then "flirts", as the tail no longer stabilises the flight of the lead.
Thicker wires can help, but a hefty cast can easily bend these. Long, rather than dumpy leads, if made with pure lead, can also be deformed with a powerful cast.

philtherod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.