World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been using a 12ft beach caster for years, thinking of buying a longer road, not sure if I should go for a 13ft or 14ft. I use either and of the ground or over head thump cast. I want it mainly for knocking out silver shrimp and hitting the mackreal.

Will a longer rod, extend my cast by much. And would it effect my accuracy.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
If you want to use a set of feathers/lures for mackerel, the longer rods will be hard to use, as the leverage with four, five or six fish pulling on a 16 footer has to be felt to believe it!!! My advice is to stick to a 12-13 footer, and leave the long rods to the match anglers, where they show what they excel in... light lines, long traces, and delicate bait presentation. I prefer 2 or 3 sabiki lures on a bass rod with a 2-4oz. lead, and have some real fun!!

philtherod

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont intend to go for any rod any longer than 14ft. I do see your point. But I dont see this as a problem. I do realise the work rate is increased, spinning silver shrimp is one thing I am physically capable of doing. My record catch of spinnining shrimp for Macky off a beach is 89.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I dont intend to go for any rod any longer than 14ft. I do see your point. But I dont see this as a problem. I do realise the work rate is increased, spinning silver shrimp is one thing I am physically capable of doing. My record catch of spinnining shrimp for Macky off a beach is 89.
Begs the question, what did you do with that lot:)

philtherod

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The answer is we sold them. In all between 3 of us we had about 180 macky. My Father stood outside a pub selling them. As long as they get eaten thats all that matters.

·
Halfway To the Horizon
1,513 Posts
penn powerstix 18ft should do the job you want it for!:giveup: :g:
then u might not be taken quite as much home with you for to sell.:yucky:
PS

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I have until recently been using 13ft apollos then changed to triplexs 16ft i have found with a overhead thump its increased my distance by about 50-60yrds

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
There is loads of info on the pro's and cons of these in the tackle discussions. Many are probably fed up of typing so a search is worth while.

Are you really sure it's an extra 50 - 60 yds deano? That should put you well over 100yds. 120 at least. Think that's a fairly unique experience with these rods. Most also find that they take a lot of getting used too and don't cast hard well at all.

Maybe that's with just a lead on the end - I am always most interested in what they do with bait on. I found a relaxed overhead thump went fairly well but not as well as that. More effort and a longer flatter arc didn't give the expected improvement.

John

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
hi guys,
i was used to useing a 12ft beach caster. just uprgraded to a 14ft daiwa longbeam fixedspool surf. my casts have improved greatly. you should with practice proberly cast 50 yards further with a 14ft rod insted of a 12ft. was thinking of getting just a 13ft rod but was told many times that it wouldnt put much differance in range but to move up to a 14ft. you can pick up a decent one for under £100. i love mine, has great bite detection aswell and looks the part. bought a penn surfmaster 850 the new model and the bait flies.

get a 14ft you wont regret it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts