World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been looking for a slightly longer rod for some time now and was just about to convince myself to go for a St Croix legend surf 10'6" (21-113g) when i came across this one;
http://www.odmrods.com/genesis-new---spring-2016.html
ODM Genesis 11' (28-113g)
they appear to be a relatively new rod company in the US and are getting some good write ups from some top bass guys over there. at £260 they are not cheap but not a bank breaker and might be worth a punt, and a lot less than the St Croix at £415.
Still waiting on the weight to be confirmed before i press go, that and the ski season to finish (cant really justify new skis and new rods in the same month :) )

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
been looking for a slightly longer rod for some time now and was just about to convince myself to go for a St Croix legend surf 10'6" (21-113g) when i came across this one;
http://www.odmrods.com/genesis-new---spring-2016.html
ODM Genesis 11' (28-113g)
they appear to be a relatively new rod company in the US and are getting some good write ups from some top bass guys over there. at £260 they are not cheap but not a bank breaker and might be worth a punt, and a lot less than the St Croix at £415.
Still waiting on the weight to be confirmed before i press go, that and the ski season to finish (cant really justify new skis and new rods in the same month :) )
First world problems eh lol
How heavy will you go on your lures? Is the top end for metals?

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Seems to be a bit of a trend developing on this forum, what happened to bass that are caught at your feet lol

Reactions: kernowmatt

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would only go unto 35g+/- over here for "our" bass but the big plugs they use for stripers can be over 120g.

problem is finding a good lure rod in the 10'6 -11' range that is design for 15-50g without paying silly money. if anyone has an answer to this .....

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
i would only go unto 35g+/- over here for "our" bass but the big plugs they use for stripers can be over 120g.

problem is finding a good lure rod in the 10'6 -11' range that is design for 15-50g without paying silly money. if anyone has an answer to this .....
You know what I am going to say - LOL
Vectura 11' - bang between your prices. 10-50g. Nice.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi
Are you after a longer surf style lure rod that can chuck striper sized lures out there?
Henry,
the short answer is yes, 2 reasons first is i have been looking for a nice "long" rod for a while, have looked at a few but nothing apart from the St Croix had really done it for me, second i am planning a trip over to the US in the autumn so would like it to be able to handle things out there for me too.

obviously it isn't a do everything rod, have a few other on the garage wall :), but after speaking to a few guys stateside i think its the kind of rod that would be a happy compromise for fishing the beaches i do here and being up to the job state side.

advantage over shiny Jap rods is as its a small manufacture I can actually talk to them and understand exactly what they are saying

·
Registered
389 Posts

Just to add the yanks tend work plugs differently over there to (not that I'm an expert). Many use softer actions than the fast action jap rods and pump the rod whilst holding the butt between their knees (oh err missus). Lots of rods on Lamiglass blanks over there.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts

See if you can find an Apia Foojin R '116M 'Rock & Storm'.... 10-50g ..
... great rod for around £230 (UK 2014 price)... casts all the usual suspects/stock favourites really well ... and the heavier 30+g lures /jigs
Maybe cheaper online even with tax & handling on arrival in EU/UK

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
I like my Afaw 60 grams
Does nearly anything I want
But would like one a bit longer
It's only 9.3

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
See if you can find an Apia Foojin R '116M 'Rock & Storm'.... 10-50g ..
... great rod for around £230 (UK 2014 price)... casts all the usual suspects/stock favourites really well ... and the heavier 30+g lures /jigs
Maybe cheaper online even with tax & handling on arrival in EU/UK
So wish that somebody would stock a decent range of APIA rods here in the UK, they are such impressive lure rods

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
So wish that somebody would stock a decent range of APIA rods here in the UK, they are such impressive lure rods
Absolutely agree Henry... I have only in recent weeks really got into regularly using my 116M 'Rock & Storm' ... and I absolutely love it!:)

I think Basslures were the only UK company to try stocking a few rods from Apia..... and they have all but sold out their remaining stock now.

Have watched Apia rods perform well in so many lure vids ... and they do seem to be the 'go to' make for many of the pro field staff from a number of Japanese lure makers.

The Apia R series are nice well made quality rods..... and offer two reasonably priced long rod options....even with the UK mark up :)

Plus their new BB series look to have taken long rod design to the next level! .....and at around £380.00 Sterling equivalent (+ VAT and handling)... are not totally 'off the scale' for someone serious about investing in a higher end 'long' lure rod.

http://www.apiajapan.com/product/rod/foojin-bb/

The 'BB' Relyer 113MH gets my vote ! :cool::cool:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Have an 11ft Vectra in my arsenal, good rod for getting some serious distance and really well balanced despite its length.

Reactions: hennie
1 - 20 of 27 Posts