World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:oops:Hey up Lads
Going Fly fishing on Loch Brora at the weekend off one of there boats. You can put your own outboard on there boats but they
take only short shaft outboards, Just wonderd if I could get away with
putting my longshaft 9.8 Tohatsu two stroke on the the back. The boats are 18ft long the keel comes up sharply to the transom. Would
it be possibe to trim the engine to suit , sorry about the info but it,s
the best I can do at such short notice.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I would have thought that trimming the engine out too far will cause the Bow to rise and the Stern to try and bury itself.

You may find that the engine struggles due to the exhaust outlet being too far under the water. The increased water pressure tends to restrict the engine revs.

But hey, give it a try...........it may work for 'pottering' about.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Knowing Scottish fresh water lochs as I do, I'd be wary of having anything sitting below the keel. With all the locals using short shafts it would suggest there are some prop eating rocks in places you would least expect them.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that lads.point taken about the hidden prop eaters may have to rethink the whole idea again. What is the differnce bewtween
a short shaft and a long shaft (clean answers only) possibiliteis of
making a extention plate to clamp on the stern first then clamp the
engine onto that as the engine is not very heavy.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The shaft length is measured from the cavitation plate (the flat bit just above the prop) to the top of the underside of the clamp,( the upside down U shaped bit that goes over the transom).

I believe short shaft means up to 17-18", and long shaft is 20" and above. There is a picture of this on the sticky "buying used outboards" guide on the boat equipment and maintenace forum.

Ideally, the cavitation plate should be level or 1" below the lowest point on the back of the boat.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for that mate, I,ll give ti a look

1 - 6 of 6 Posts