World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK everyone has this ever happened to you, Last year I was fishing at
South-Gare (Redcar / Teesport) and the amount of times we/I got a Mackerel on the spinner then a seal got hold of it and this is all that is left,
One morning the score was:
Sammy the Seal 23
Me (fish landed) 4 :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
never happened to me yet,but I have a friend who is in the navy and he was fishing 1 evening about 2 yrs ago off the ship-he had caught a nice fish(cant remember type of fish) he was in the middle of bringing in and looking forward to fresh fish for dinner when another fish/seal decided that he was hungry and left him with just the head. He was not impressed and am not allowed to say what happened next!!

nige

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Amazing story! Sounds like you found an idle seal who depended on you to catch its fish. I can imagine it resting (on the sea BED) and only stirring to say 'thank you' as its lunch flashed past. Console yourself by realising that it was probably an old, infirm seal unable to get up the speed to chase the shoals! We had a Fox on our golf course that, because it had lsot it's teeth, was digging up the ground around the greens after worms. It was only unusual because this was not Winter when pickings were thin, but in the middle of Summer.

You could of saved the heads for dead baiting because it was obvious the seal didn't want them!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it is an old seal, cos it's a large male, when we look round for it we cannot see it anywhere, but as soon as we "Connect" with a Mackerel he get's hold of it befor we can land it.

I think he lays on the sea-bad just waiting for his chance, I also think he can tell the differance between a "Free Swimming Mackerel" & one that's fighting cos it's caught on the spinner.

Last year on the odd day we never saw him at all, but now & then if we got over 10 Mackerel we cut some up and fed him he comes very close at times.

He will most likely be here again this year so I'll try to get some photos.

J

·
0 Posts
ive seen a seal been hauled up a breakwater because it digested a conger bait 6/0 in its mouth. in the end the line was cut and it waddled back and plopped back into the sea. 20mins later it was eating big whiting right infront of all the anglers :mad:

·
Registered
568 Posts
I know just how frustrating that can be :(

To make matters worse, joe public seem to insist on calling them sea lions more often than not ... arghhhh

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Lol bummer m8, yeah saw the same thing happen last August when I was fishing at Methil in Fife, a crowd of us were spinning with feathers off the breakwater, it was a toss up to see who got the fish 1st...the seal or the angler, very frustrating as the Mackerel were few and far between. :eek:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
not happened to me yet

but i have seen seals on the inside of spurn point on a flat calm summers night trying to catch scoolie bass,
it was a sight and a half seing a 300lb seal trying to swim after a small bass at hi speed in 2 foot of water

imagine the wake

lol

macky

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Fishing on a boat off South Africa we were catching very nice tuna of around 30lb odd but every so often all that was landed was the head the crew just shrugged and said "shark attack" , sometimes the whole fish was taken. My problem was if they could take a thirty pound tuna in one hit "How big was the bloody shark?" I must admit that I made damn sure I didn't fall out of the boat. On the way back we came across a Southern Right whale and her calf now that redefines everything you always though about big - especially viewed from a small boat.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts