World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After fishing and you get home what do you do with your reels to maintain them?

I usually just rinse them in warm water and dry them with a cloth before giving them a general spray of WD40...........................

What do you do and what should you do?:g:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
A rinse under a cold tap, slacken off the drag a bit and left to dry. Thats it, plus a drop of oil on the bearings every 5-6 trips :fish:

I do the minimum, usually when I try and get something working "better than new" it ends up knackered :unsure:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Always slacken the magnets to zero on your mag reels otherwise they can stick. Just remeber to turn them on before you go to cast or you will almost certainly birdie your reel.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
After fishing and you get home what do you do with your reels to maintain them?

I usually just rinse them in warm water and dry them with a cloth before giving them a general spray of WD40...........................

What do you do and what should you do?:g:
If it is an ABU with alluminium endplates spray the inside of them with Waxoyl. This dries in and leaves a wax coating. Very good for stopping it corroding.:)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I rinse under cold tap to remove crud and oil it up... only takes a few mins and well worth doing... I hear WD40 can thin the oil on the reel and cause problems.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Fixed spools - Split into spool and body, rinse all parts under warm running water. I often drop the spool into the sink and leave it submerged for a for minutes. Dry with a towel and leave somewhere to dry thoroughly for a few hours (not in the sun). Re-assemble when dry and leave the drag loose.

Multipliers - Split into 3 parts (2 end plates and spool) and repeat the same process as shown above. Leave plenty of endplay in the spool tensioner

I've never used WD40. Some reels I've owned and used heavily for 30 years and none of my reels have corrosion on them. I always store them in a cloth bag (cash bags from the banks are ideal) inside the house.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts