World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... I didn't find one.

Rocked up at 11:30 at the lifeboat station, plenty of time to set up for the 15:00 high tide. Conditions looked great, there were tables of coloured water coming in and it screamed bass. Rigs baited up, anticipation high:

WP_20170417_12_17_19_Pro.jpg

As the water hit the shingle, rigs were blasted long and short, conditions still looking spot on:

WP_20170417_13_03_09_Pro.jpg

I had extra help looking for bites today, and there were quite a few, caused by micro pins and dogfish:

WP_20170417_14_50_33_Pro.jpg

However, despite two terrific bass knocks, none were caught today. Dog unimpressed:

WP_20170417_14_49_45_Pro.jpg

Sorry for the disappointing catch report, but I feel that all should be aware that dungie is fickle mistress, despite giving all the right signs. The cow.

Cheers,

Robert

·
TOPWATER BASS LURE ADDICT
4,877 Posts
Unlucky fella, maybe next time.

Personally I would of preferred to fish over low water for bass, first of the flood probably being the most critical time.

Be lucky

·
Registered
587 Posts
Nice pics and report Robert. It is always a hit and miss when after bass.
It is just being there at the right time when the bass comes around.

I used to fish at all times and all states of the tide to see what worked.
Only had bass at certain times of the tide though.
Baits out 4 hrs before high tide and pack up when about high tide as the bass would have left if they did come by. Caught bass between 4 to 1 hour before high tide.
Caught a couple 2 hours after high tide too.
Lovely dog ;)

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
.... I didn't find one.

Rocked up at 11:30 at the lifeboat station, plenty of time to set up for the 15:00 high tide. Conditions looked great, there were tables of coloured water coming in and it screamed bass. Rigs baited up, anticipation high:

View attachment 786257

As the water hit the shingle, rigs were blasted long and short, conditions still looking spot on:

View attachment 786265

I had extra help looking for bites today, and there were quite a few, caused by micro pins and dogfish:

View attachment 786273

However, despite two terrific bass knocks, none were caught today. Dog unimpressed:

View attachment 786281

Sorry for the disappointing catch report, but I feel that all should be aware that dungie is fickle mistress, despite giving all the right signs. The cow.

Cheers,

Robert

Bit scarce on the bait on those hooks ok for flatties!:BigGrin:

·
4,877 Posts
Good report I'd have had whole squid or mackerel on a rod and another with a few rag on each hook.
I quite agree there Chris, that's probably the way I'd go aswell but saying that lug is also a brilliant bass bait along that part of the channel :thumbsup:

If I were using lug I do think I'd of made the baits perhaps a bit bigger though ;)

·
Registered
587 Posts
I quite agree there Chris, that's probably the way I'd go aswell but saying that lug is also a brilliant bass bait along that part of the channel :thumbsup:

If I were using lug I do think I'd of made the baits perhaps a bit bigger though ;)
Yup, caught schoolies last time in Hythe with frozen lug tipped with calamari strips when searching for pin whiting as bait for bass :eek:

Normally whole mackerel or calamari, or a livebait pin whiting for the bigger ones .. ;)

but it is always a waiting game .... sit and relax, and twiddle your thumbs, until the the rod slams down .... :happydance:

It is location, location, location. Easy to catch at times, but blank on many occasions.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

All depends what people can get hold of but I've had most of my bass on rag 1 to 4lb and the larger ones using Squid,whole or in strips,or live bait,or Mackie head and guts

·
4,877 Posts
Yup, caught schoolies last time in Hythe with frozen lug tipped with calamari strips when searching for pin whiting as bait for bass :eek:

Normally whole mackerel or calamari, or a livebait pin whiting for the bigger ones .. ;)

but it is always a waiting game .... sit and relax, and twiddle your thumbs, until the the rod slams down .... :happydance:

It is location, location, location. Easy to catch at times, but blank on many occasions.
And to that is why I've now jacked in the bait fishing completely, got no real interest in it anymore and is why I now predominantly lure fish because as you rightly say Andrew that it's al about location and when traveling light and lure fishing it's all about move, move, move :happydance:

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Caught this one on a bluey fillet tipped off with the head and guts of a bluey.

10 yards cast. Lights of and sit on hands until the party starts :)

View attachment 788457
Can never tell with Bass where they will be some further up beach then you are! or is that Whales with lambrussco/lambrini? but there often prowling gutter/margins for disturbed tit bits or fish preoccupied doing same thing in the wash so don't pick Bertie bass sneaking up on them.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah baits were a little small, but I scaled down to size 2s hoping to pick up anything as I was teaching my young nephew :D

Normally I use size 1/0s at that spot with a large single black - it does work, for sure (gratuitous pic incoming):

WP_20161016_11_46_12_Pro.jpg

Saying that I'm planning on experimenting with bigger baits / hooks chucked very close to see what happens :D

Lots of good advice chaps, cheers :)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
When I was at dungie Thursday and Friday on Thursday fished one about 20 yards to 60 yards out no bass on this one,had the 3 bass on that day on the rod I was fishing at range,fished the same on Friday and all 3 bass on Friday come at range,think I might up the bait size on one of the rods next time I go

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bass when they are there they will be there..dosnt matter what bait you represent to them.they will take anything,but of course local fresh bait is better.in your case is lugworm.its all about wind direction and size of tides and location.you get that wright and you have more chance...but it is still a bit early for bass to show at dungeness in big numbers

·
4,877 Posts
Bass when they are there they will be there..dosnt matter what bait you represent to them.they will take anything,but of course local fresh bait is better.in your case is lugworm.its all about wind direction and size of tides and location.you get that wright and you have more chance...but it is still a bit early for bass to show at dungeness in big numbers
Just hit the nail on the head, spot on, well said arkam ;)

·
Registered
587 Posts
And to that is why I've now jacked in the bait fishing completely, got no real interest in it anymore and is why I now predominantly lure fish because as you rightly say Andrew that it's al about location and when traveling light and lure fishing it's all about move, move, move :happydance:
When I finally wised up and decided to give up chasing the bass like a nutter all over the shores of Guernsey, I started landing the bigger ones above 5 lbs.
Big bass are fat and lazy, and look for easy prey. They are habitual, and visit the same place where food has always been easy pickings for them.

So, did a bit of research, ask around, and target places where big ones were landed. Look at the location, identify the route the big bass would take, ie. structures, outflow, gulleys, etc.

Yes, I set a trap and ambush them. Just drop the big bait right where they would come by.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts