World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,i am looking for a charter boat for the 1st week of october before the comps start.In cabo san lucas.
It must be a boat that releases all billfish ( without me paying extra for that ) i prefer bertrams or similar boat about 31 ft.This is my first time to cabo ,so any recommendations on boat and crew would be most appreciated.
When i have fished in other parts of mexico billfish have always been released but most of the photos from cabo show a lot of dead fish sadly.
thanks ian

·
Registered
157 Posts
hi most of the skippers release the billfish unless they spit their guts then they are good as dead anyways and will be used for locals food or some off to the restauraunts ...they dont tend to release dorado or tuna as good eating fish roosters and jacks are released as not good eating ....try cheers boat a skipper called noel ramon garcia he has a 30 footer+ now but always fished out of pangas before been on both and always caught plenty of sails and stripes all released apart from one sail who spat his guts ...i did have business card somewhere but if u ask in tackle shop under mar de cortez hotel the mexican guy is his mate will give u his number

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi most of the skippers release the billfish unless they spit their guts then they are good as dead anyways and will be used for locals food or some off to the restauraunts ...they dont tend to release dorado or tuna as good eating fish roosters and jacks are released as not good eating ....try cheers boat a skipper called noel ramon garcia he has a 30 footer+ now but always fished out of pangas before been on both and always caught plenty of sails and stripes all released apart from one sail who spat his guts ...i did have business card somewhere but if u ask in tackle shop under mar de cortez hotel the mexican guy is his mate will give u his number
Hi Micky,thanks for the info.most appreciated.ian

·
Registered
222 Posts
The Tackle shop, Jansen Inshore Tackle, has moved from in front of the Mar de Cortez to the Plaza San Lucas Mall which is on the left as you head from Cabo to San Jose. It's about 2 kms from downtown Cabo.
If you tell the skipper before departure that you don't want a trophy shot if you land a billfish, (there's there's a very lifelike enormous model marlin on the marina for that), we've never had a problem with tag & brag, excluding gut hooked fish.
Even the tournaments now will accept video evidence of size and release.
Unfortunately our American cousins love to pose with their fish, or have it smoked or frozen to take home.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think this is who Micky means www.cabofishdogs.com I don’t know what your budget is or how many days you’re hoping to fish but my favourite two boats and skippers are the Dreamweaver with Ramon (there are lots of them in Cabo ) although he is a bit pricey ( he’ll do a deal though for a few days) and the Fin Addict (they got my buddy a 225lb yellowfin a few months ago plus several more in the mid 100’s. Both boats and their tackle are top notch. The Dreamweaver is a 33ft Bertram and the Fin Addict is a 32ft Bertram. If the big tuna are there, the guys on the Fin Addict will get them for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Tackle shop, Jansen Inshore Tackle, has moved from in front of the Mar de Cortez to the Plaza San Lucas Mall which is on the left as you head from Cabo to San Jose. It's about 2 kms from downtown Cabo.
If you tell the skipper before departure that you don't want a trophy shot if you land a billfish, (there's there's a very lifelike enormous model marlin on the marina for that), we've never had a problem with tag & brag, excluding gut hooked fish.
Even the tournaments now will accept video evidence of size and release.
Unfortunately our American cousins love to pose with their fish, or have it smoked or frozen to take home.
Thanks for the info,never had a gut hooked billfish,But your right the yanks do love to pose with there fish.ian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think this is who Micky means www.cabofishdogs.com I don’t know what your budget is or how many days you’re hoping to fish but my favourite two boats and skippers are the Dreamweaver with Ramon (there are lots of them in Cabo ) although he is a bit pricey ( he’ll do a deal though for a few days) and the Fin Addict (they got my buddy a 225lb yellowfin a few months ago plus several more in the mid 100’s. Both boats and their tackle are top notch. The Dreamweaver is a 33ft Bertram and the Fin Addict is a 32ft Bertram. If the big tuna are there, the guys on the Fin Addict will get them for you.
Hi Hector,thanks for the info,i have bookmarked the link you have given.I think it will be very useful as i prefer smaller charter set ups to the multi boat ones catering to the cruise ship trade
Funny i had already seen Fin addict and liked the look if it.
I know how much these charters are,thankfully my wife doesn,t mind.
As for the tuna,im a billfish guy.Need to get a black to complete the set.
thanks again,ian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://thebluemarlinsportfishing.com/

100% Mexican owned & operated C&R preferred.

Also I'd like to correct a common misconception posted up thread-Billfish Do Not Die just because they throw up their stomach that's an old wive's some unscrupulous operators use to justify killing fish.
Hi Canada,thanks for the reply,they look like my kind of outfit.but would of prefered one proper chair on the deck.Totally agree with you about the old wives tale.Tagging programs have proved they recover.Which is why a dedicated C&R crewed boat is very important to me.
I dont need any more dramas with captains releasing fish.Had that once in florida keys with an american captain and a large shark.He came out the wheelhouse with a rifle ready to shoot it.
Not much fun standing between a crazy guy with a gun and an angry shark:BigGrin:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just like to say that I know The Blue Marlin too and it’s is a nice boat with nice gear on board. Very good on price too but I’ve not been out with them.
If you fancy a cheaper day out on a panga, the best guy in town is Jaime Gonzales on the Jessica ‭+52 162413738001‬. He’s not cheap but he’s a fish magnet and goes the distance too (and quickly) sea conditions permitting. He’ll do a deal for a full 8 hour day if you’d prefer that to the standard 5 hour panga day.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
http://thebluemarlinsportfishing.com/

100% Mexican owned & operated C&R preferred.

Also I'd like to correct a common misconception posted up thread-Billfish Do Not Die just because they throw up their stomach that's an old wive's some unscrupulous operators use to justify killing fish.
From my one experience there I completely agree. Mexican owned and crewed is the way to go. In my experience many American operators can be very cutthroat. I wish I could remember which Mexican outfit I went with because they were a joy to be around. Unlike the arrogant and sullen yanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Whalebreath said:
Also I'd like to correct a common misconception posted up thread-Billfish Do Not Die just because they throw up their stomach that's an old wive's some unscrupulous operators use to justify killing fish.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct. They evert their stomach in an attempt to vomit up the thing that's preventing them from excaping. The increasingly accepted use of circle hooks has almost completely eliminated the risk of deep hooking and injuring billfish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just like to say that I know The Blue Marlin too and it’s is a nice boat with nice gear on board. Very good on price too but I’ve not been out with them.
If you fancy a cheaper day out on a panga, the best guy in town is Jaime Gonzales on the Jessica ‭+52 162413738001‬. He’s not cheap but he’s a fish magnet and goes the distance too (and quickly) sea conditions permitting. He’ll do a deal for a full 8 hour day if you’d prefer that to the standard 5 hour panga day.
Thanks Hector the blue marlin looks nice,my kind of boat.and yes i do intend having 1 full day on a panga as i ve never had a roosterfish.With 3 full days on a big boat ( gotta see the wife at least a little bit):D
Mi habla un poco Espanol so will give jaime a ring in a couple of weeks.Got dates sorted will fly down from L.A 1st october.Just trying to sort a hotel,got that down to 2 choices.
Hector,just asking.
i see you are scbi do you know simon in plymouth the shark guy,he knows me well.i think he knows some of your guys and also i think andy another shark man in cardiff might have something to do with you. he was popping in panama recently.( not my kind of thing).
thanks for all the help,ian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whalebreath said:
Absolutely correct. They evert their stomach in an attempt to vomit up the thing that's preventing them from excaping. The increasingly accepted use of circle hooks has almost completely eliminated the risk of deep hooking and injuring billfish.[/QUOTE]
Only used circles for just about everything for the last 15 years.Perhaps thats why i dont lose fish and i dont get any dead ones.:BigGrin:
scores me loads of brownie points with my vegan wife.
ian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Absolutely correct. They evert their stomach in an attempt to vomit up the thing that's preventing them from excaping. The increasingly accepted use of circle hooks has almost completely eliminated the risk of deep hooking and injuring billfish.
Only used circles for just about everything for the last 15 years.Perhaps thats why i dont lose fish and i dont get any dead ones.:BigGrin:
scores me loads of brownie points with my vegan wife.
ian[/QUOTE]
Sorry whalebreath,getting you mixed up with hectors reply.thanks ian

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The skippers I've used from Cabo and San Jose now use circles almost exclusively when livebaiting for marlin, and they return nearly all the stripies they catch.
However ... the bigger cruisers going the long way out for bigger blacks and blues still use, as far as I can see, a lot of skirt lures with J hooks, which is not such good news.
Just saying ... TripAdvisor has a lot of advice from Baja regulars on fishing from Cabo, and which boats are hot and not. And I've personally stopped fishing from Cabo; those 120-boat morning starts with everyone milling around queuing for bait, burritos and fuel do my head in. It's more civilised, IMHO, out of San Jose or the East Cape.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don’t know if you’ve been on the BD Outdoors forum but in the Cabo/East Cape section there’s a new report from a guy who went out with Jaime. Some nice roosters and pargo.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi I spend a month, sometimes two, a bit further north fishing the East Cape out of Los Barriles. Catch and release for all billfish is standard unless a client chooses to take a fish home, they even have a bonus scheme based on how many bill fish they release each month. . Just make it clear what you want and do not want before you go out -

I like to throw my own live bait and hook the fish myself, also if my partner is with me I insist that ALL fish, including tuna / dorado / wahoo are released. At first the crews looked a bit puzzled but go along with it as they know that if they do not there will be NO TIP! The crews in that area are used to working with Americans who expect a high level of service so you do not get the arrogance that some tolerate from UK charter boat operators.

If you fancy trying that area I could recommend J&B as a cruiser of Rosa Maria as a panga, book them via Eddie or Annibal at Palmas de Cortez and they will pass on your requests.

PS They are very good at working with fly fishing for Rooster fish if you want to try that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts