World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Have fished down walmer since .. im not sure if my memory goes back that far lol, and have also had varied success on Deal pier, samphire along with the admiralty and Hythe ranges. But since I got the Mrs into fishing a year ago. Shes itching to try some different marks to have a go at catching something new and was wondering where else in the dover area would be worth a crack.
Never tried up by Kingsdown yet since wouldnt really know where to start and having spoken to a few people they have also mentioned shakespeare beach. But thats about where my knowledge of the area ends, so just wondered if anyone had some suggestions.

cheers :D

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
if your looking for something new you could try the rocks around thanet for the bass, or go to minnis or reculver for the rays and hounds.

not really the dover area, but not too far away.

if you fancy a go round thanet then your more than welcome to pop into my shop with a map and i'll point out some of the spots to try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the reply, may just nip by since got bankholiday off :)

Never caught a ray myself so would deffinately make a nice change from plague of dogfish infesting walmer at the moment.
What are the rocks like are they easily accesible with no worry of being cut off? Dont think the mrs is up for too much clambering, you know how it is, they want something but only under certain conditions.. hence I seem to lumbering more gear whilst she carries the snacks lol. :)
Im guessing a south westerly wind is best since its on the north kent coast?

·
Registered
115 Posts
well, we have fished Deal, Dover, and Kingsdown, which seems to be a good spot :D

We are going to try Samphire at some point, the missus and myself had a look the otherday on the way back home.

And about your name, well imitation is the most sincere form of flattery lol

Dave n Kez

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
the rocks around the margate area are fishing better than towards broadstairs. most people fish over low or low up. the access is quite easy but you usually have to stand while fishing, because your on chalk ledges. you won't get cut off at most rock venues, theres only one that can be a bit iffy.

if you fish the rocks at minnis over low most people wade out to cast and you have to follow the tide out and in. it can be alot of effort, but you do get the rewards.

the high water marks at minnis are a bit of a walk (half way between minnis and reculver) many people use a trolley. you can fish quite close to the car park at reculver, the most popular and well known venues are a longer walk.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help and advice :)
We didnt get a chance to get anywhere near the north kent coast in the end, kids... sickness... could go on...
But did have some luck on Friday and saturday. Went looking at a few places near Dover on friday took a rod and some rag with a few smelly lug and fished at Kingsdown and St Mary's for an hour each - in between sharing the rod, I managed to catch a small schoolie bass, which is always encouraging the pub with its patrons only car park which forced us inside was also further more enouraging too :D lol.
Fished at Walmer all day through to the night on Saturday, caught a lot of dogfish on the ebb and flood with pouting and the odd whiting thrown in but nothing to really shout about size wise... though the mrs did managed to drag in a large piece of what I can only gather was once a trawlers net lol

Appologies for the similarities in names... just shows how desirable it is :p

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
at least you got out and caught a few, thats all that matters.

the hounds will be at minnis soon and surely nobody can refuse a bash at them steam trains. LOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts