World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
just looking for a little help on ray fishing ??? i want to fish the helford for thornbacks and also want to target smalleyed ray as well,
could anyone help me on the times of year they start showing and also when they are scarce ? any info would be greatly appreciated :thumbs:

·
Registered
17,081 Posts
Hi all,
just looking for a little help on ray fishing ??? i want to fish the helford for thornbacks and also want to target smalleyed ray as well,
could anyone help me on the times of year they start showing and also when they are scarce ? any info would be greatly appreciated :thumbs:
Ah, if you'd asked about Devon or even the north coast, I would have an idea, but the Helford, haven't got a scooby do I'm afraid, sorry.

Which I realise doesn't help at all.... :g:

G

·
Hi CC, TB rays in the Helford all year, fish over high water Tollpoint or tank tracks, most fish baits ok, live Eel if you can get it, its a case of putting the hours in and you will get a result.
S Eyes from April onwards, Poldhu with frozen Eel.

·
Registered
746 Posts
There are other lads on here who can help you with the Helford River mate, as I don't know that area very well!! I generally fish the Fal for thornies.....live eel is, by far, the best bait if you can get some. Fresh dead or frozen will still catch, as will peeler crab. I use 3 or 4/0 hooks on pulley pennel rigs.
Small eyes have been scarce over the North coast for a couple of years now! Frozen sandeel is the top bait for these fish.....the choice of rig is up to the individual, but I stick to the pulley type with a pennel or single 3/0 or 4/0 hook. Hope this helps?
Cheers Steve.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
No idea bout the Thorne season seems to co incide with not catching cod, only use bait in the winter, in the deep fast tamar big smelly baits like hole squid seem to find them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts