World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'll be down in north devon for a few weeks soon and besides fishing ilfracombe pier before, haven't really ventured out in the area.

Could anyone recommend some good places to fish in the area and any advice/tips to go along with it would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
58 Posts
Woolacombe beach is always good low tide in the night for Rays Staunton beach or rocks are good. Capstone in Ilfracombe us always producing fish

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi thorney,
I'll start with a few marks around 'Combe itself.
Back of Capstone. Go to Wildersmouth beach, next to the theatre ( upturned
yoghurt pots) and follow the path by Preachers rock ( big sloping rock) go to the sharp bend & access the steps down to the rocks:- bait or lures work, makkies, Wrasse, pollock and bass, watch out for the lobster/crab pots.
Pier:- Nice venue, but you'll struggle to find a space, have to put up with litter, passing boat traffic, and gobby prats. If you're lucky you might even catch something ( small) or maybe the more usual used nappies, jonnies, & chip wrappers!
Raparee:- It's the beach opposite the harbour and pier, the area where everyone casts to (or tries to), just park in the harbour or at the swimming pool and walk down. Species:- makkies, small bass, flatties, occasional ray, wrasse. Baits or lures work fine off of the rocks.
Lee Bay:- Not too much competition as its not often fished. Go to the rocks either side of the bay & concentrate on the clear channel in the centre. Pollack , dogs, makkies, wrasse, conger etc. Bait and lure work here. Fiish black minnow has been a killer. & the Grampus serves lovely local beers and ciders
Hele Bay:- Another beach with a pub! Stick to the rocks beneath the holiday chalets . Rocky patches, so a bit of a tackle looser. I've had some decent stuff on lures here , but some guys prefer baits ( squid, fish combo works well) you don't have to cast to the horizon & the target species are as above.
That's all for now,many more to follow when I get home, as sending on the phone takes an age ( in Cornwall fishing Falmouth Roads for a week):)
Cheers
Rob Westcountryman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts