World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a nice fishing area for this summer, 2nd half of July. Looking at Google maps, I found the Galloway peninsula and Google redirected me to several sites about the area, including this one. So, now I’m in search for reliable info on the area: slipways, fishing hotspots, where to fish for what, sleeping accommodation, berths, moorings, do’s and don’ts etc… All info is very needed to make the trip and expenses worthwhile. I don’t want to lose days figuring things out. By the time that works out, it’s time to go back home! Fishing for tope is one of our favourites, along with shadding for pollock, bait fishing for rays and bullhuss and actually anything that will take a bait. :)

My boat is 5,25 meter long and powerd by a 90Hp outboard engine. The boat sits on a road worthy trailer with mandatory periodic controls (like your MOT). Total weight (boat + trailer) ± 1.200 kg. It will be towed with a Peugeot Boxer van, frontwheel drive.

I hope someone can help me out.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
What kind of accommodation will you be looking for? Camping, Cottage rental, static caravan /lodge hire? That will determine where your base will be. Will you be launching alone, or will you be with friends?
I don't know about moorings or any harbours that hire temporary berths, although there is another member (popa ray?) who moors his boat at Garlieston in the summer. He can maybe give you more information on that.
Without a 4x4 vehicle you will be largely limited to slipways although many people manage to launch at Port Logan with normal 2 wheel drive vehicles.
There are not many slipways around the area that you can launch with a 2WD unless you are staying out from around high tide to high tide, so 8-12 hours. The more help you have the better. I use a 4x4 to launch from beaches that have hard packed sand but if you have help and can push or rope your boat and trailer to and from the water from the bottom of a slip you will be ok.
I really only fish in Luce Bay and out from Port Logan.
Luce Bay is virtually carpeted with rays in the summer and there are tope, smoothhounds and bull huss as well.
Port Logan has the same species as Luce Bay plus many good pollack marks that can be fished inshore when the tide is running hard outside the bay and you need 12 ounces and more of lead to hold the bottom.
Brighouse Bay caravan site has its own slip that is virtually "all tide" but is quite narrow for a van. Check it out on Google Earth. That will give you access to Wigtown Bay and marks in the Solway. That area fishes well for tope and smoothhounds and the site has a lot of good facilities.
The facilities for launching/parking are not very good in Dumfries and Galloway as the council just ignore requests for improvements.
If you need any more information, just ask or PM me, and I'm sure there will be other members who have more experience of the area than I have who will contribute.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx guys! Usefull info.
It will be just the 2 of us. We’re so spoiled concerning slipways, you have no idea. This is wat gets us in troubles abroad.  Take a look at the photo’s what we have to play with… Bearings and brake pads last many years…

Brighouse Bay might be the most familiar to what we are used to. It’s hard to see, Google didn’t put much effort in the picture resolution, but I guess the slip is ± 3 meters wide. That’s enough for me. Trailer is 2,1 meters wide and so is the van. Unless it’s so steep we need spikes, it should work out there.

I’ve put in an enquiry to Sands of Luce caravan park. They announce private slipway on their website. Accommodation looks good there. I see Thrasher suggest that park too…
Port Logan could be an alternative on a fair day, it’s not far from the park.

Garlieston seems to have water on the peer all the time. A mooring there could be an option, but do you have the fisheries that far in land? Luce bay sticks out concerning catch reports, movieclips, etc. when searching on the net.

The main concern getting in and out, the available fishing time and where to hide if the weather declines a bit. If that’s figures out, we’ll be good. The fishing itself shouldn’t be a problem. Maybe the actual marks.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
There is also a popular slip at Isle of Whithorn with decent parking but it is often very slippy with algae/weed growth. That gives access to some good fishing areas.
Garlieston slip is tidal and dries very quickly, so you will have to work to the tide there.
Sands of Luce is a good site and many very experienced boat anglers have caravans on it. I've never launched there but the slip gives access to a sandy beach. I don't know if there is an assisted launch service there, but I wouldn't try launching with a van on sand. I tried that with my Vivaro van at Kilstay a few years ago and got stuck. Kilstay is now my preferred launch site with a 4x4.
The launching facilities in Scotland are disgraceful when compared to Ireland and other EU countries. If I was travelling from Belgium, I would be heading for Devon and Cornwall rather than Dumfries and Galloway. Better fishing and launching facilities although they will be very busy in July.
Weather wise, the main problem is wind. If you choose to stay close to Luce Bay/ Port Logan you have the advantage of alternating sides in westerly and easterly winds.
I will be in my caravan down on Luce Bay in July. If you do decide to come here, I would be happy to meet up with you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've fished Cornwall for a couple years and most of the time that was good. One problem over there: no shelter.
Just took a look at Kilstay Bay and with a high tide it looks ok with the trailer on a beld or long rope... Keep the van on the conrete.
That's someting I have to see for my self.
Luce Bay is still on top of my list :)

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Is Ardwell another option?
I forgot to mention Ardwell. Good slip, good parking but tidal and I wouldn't take a vehicle very far off the slip if at all. I've heard a few horror stories about stranded vehicles there.
If there are two people it makes things easier everywhere.
I usually have to launch and recover solo:(.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have been going to the Isle of Whithorn for more years than I care to remember. There are two slips, one into the harbour the other on the seaward side of the pier. I prefer to use the slip into the harbour as it's wider than the other & doesn't suffer as badly from the algae covering. On saying that the outer slip can be used virtually all the tide on small tides or all but a couple of hours either side of low on bigger tides as the approach is over rocks. I'm sure that you could get a temporary mooring if required. Shaun (seafoods on here), is the man that looks after the harbour I'm sure he would put you right.
The local pub The Steam Packet has a few rooms to let & I can recommend the food & beer from it's own micro brewery.
https://www.thesteampacketinn.biz/
An alternative nearby is the Burrowhead holiday park just 2 miles outside the village. It sits on the cliff top between Luce & Wigtown bays so you can see the sea state out of your window.
http://www.burrowheadholidayvillage.co.uk/
Depending on weather conditions you have the choice of either fishing luce or wigtown bays. SW winds are the norm in the summer & blow right to left across the harbour mouth. This wind coupled with the bigger tides can create a nasty swell that you don't really want to be in. Any wind with E in it puts an uncomfortable chop on the sea. Care needs to be taken if you decide to go round Burrow head into luce bay as the tides are fierce coupled with wind it can be a very hairy place to be with no shelter even for the experienced.
If it's tope you're after you don't have to far to find them as they can be caught right from the harbour mouth. The bottom of Wigtown bay can be a good spot for thornback ray & smoothhound as well as flatties and the odd bass. You can get away with 1 or 2 oz leads and a light rod for maximum sport out of the smoothies. Sometimes this area can be overrun with juvenile tope up to 10lb snatching baits as soon as they hit bottom. Apart from needing worms or crab for fishing here nearly everywhere else you can catch just about anything that swims in this area on mackerel strip which should be easy enough to catch in the summer months.
If the wind is to awkward for fishing out of Whithorn then towing to Portpatrick or down the luce peninsula would take less than 0ne & a half hours.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info! It 's good info, helps me a lot. I like the idea of a harbour and a mooring... Come and go whenever we like...
If we just could switch the wind of.... :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention is that the harbour dries out. My mates mooring is about half way down the harbour & we reckon the boat will be floating about 2.5 hrs before & after low. If you pick the smaller tides then there's usually water at the end of the pier all tide. You cross a sandbar about 100m from the pier that On the big tides dries out you could leave the boat on there until you have sufficient water for the harbour.
On days when it's to windy to take the boat out we shore fish for bass around luce bay.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Great post from bobthedog above.
Another issue in the area is the lack of petrol stations, so bring extra storage tanks with you.
Harbour Master Shaun Maguire no longer uses this forum as far as I know.
He is very helpful about all things sea fishing in the area. He is the harbour master at Isle of Whithorn, so there may be a contact number for his office somewhere.
Bring some shore fishing equipment with you for the windy days. There is good spinning for bass and pollack in the area and bait marks for rays, smoothhounds and even tope if you can unlock the safe with the marks in it:whistling:.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nearest petrol station is in Whithorn about 4 miles down the road. You pass through it to get to the Isle of Whithorn.
The next station is in Port William, this has the advantage of being a 24hr card only fuel pump. In either case be prepared for the fuel in this area being about 20p a litre dearer as you are in a very rural area.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Thanks for the info! It 's good info, helps me a lot. I like the idea of a harbour and a mooring... Come and go whenever we like...
If we just could switch the wind of.... :)
Portpatrick would be a good base, you'd need to get the boat launched as it's a beach launch but 24 hour access harbour off a mooring for the duration of your stay. Ard Choille guest house by the harbour is nice inexpensive accommodation, Jonathon and Heather will look after you with big breakfasts :thumbsup:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Some great information given above. An update on fuel availability, the station at Withorn no longer does petrol. The station at Bladnoch Wigtown now has a 24hr card pump.
I have a mooring at Garlieston and find the slip excellent with parking next to it.
There are two sites ,one for campervans the other takes tents both within 200 metres of the slip and about the same to the Harbour inn. The pub also has accommodation and serves good meals.
Sean is also the harbourmaster at Garlieston .
Fishing is great without having to go to far, I get at least five hours afloat from my mooring.
If you need more information drop me a PM.
Ray

1 - 20 of 20 Posts