World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ime looking for new pier..jetty..wall or deep water beaches and locations arround the portsmouth are and just outside portsmouth but that far because transport is limated .many thanks shane

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an affinity for pier and jetty fishing myself - but in the Solent area, choices are thin on the ground it seems.

As suggested, South Parade is fishing well, good for a wide variety of species, but you have to accept two things when fishing from South Parade - lots of company - and lots of small fish. There are exceptions to this of course - but don’t go along expecting them, and you’ll be fine.

Millenium pier over on the Gosport side offers some half decent Pollock fishing if there’s a Westerly blowing, otherwise, on a float rig, the pier itself is a tackle trap, although even a 2 ounce lead should keep you in place on the bottom. The trick there is to fish off the end - but once there’s two people already there, either you are good at making friends or you’ve had it as far as space goes. Lots of free bait though - just go through all the Kentucky Fried Chicken and burger wrappers discarded along the length of the pier. Yes - it can be a pretty grim scene - it sure aint holiday country.

I’ve tried Victoria pier on a few occasions - and consistently blanked - along with everyone else in the vicinity, so i’m not taking it personally. The pier itself is so small it just doesn’t seem to attract the sea life the big guys feed from, and in all honesty, you’d probably have more luck from adjacent beaches.

My best advice (and I’ll be trying this myself soon) is to go down to South Parade Pier - stay on the beach - and chuck as far up alongside of it as you can. You’ll have more room - and probably more chance of a decent score. Get your tackle in as close to the pier structure as you can, and fish at an angle, so when you reeling in you’re pulling the fish away from the pier structure. Big baits should give you less bites, but more worthy challenges.

Oh yeah - and when you’re done - post back on here - lol - I’ll be watching - and taking notes ..........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts