World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the forums but looking for some advice. I'm fishing around the Clyde area so it's fairly rough ground, I'm off to the states and was looking to pick up some new reels any advice would be great?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section in advance

·
Registered
294 Posts
If money isn't really a problem then I'd recommend a Shimano Ultegra #10'000 - #14'000 fixed spool reel, to put it simply it's by far and away the best fixed spool I've used and they are capable of handling anything in UK waters - smooth drag, slow oscillation and great retrieval ratio for good line lay and getting end tackle up and away from snags. Also used a Mitchell LC Gold #8'000, Penn Surfbaster #8'000 and a TFGear Delta #10'000 they are decent lower to mid-range priced reels and will do you fine if you look after them, but have found that the Mitchell and Penn have degraded over time, probably more my fault than anything right enough, the Mitchell especially as it's went for a swim twice now.

Multipliers are not really my thing but my brother uses them and loves the Penn fathom 15 for all round fishing and uses a Diawa Slosh30 (that he bought for me to try and convert me!!) for the rough stuff. I recently bought him a Penn fathom 25N but he's not used it so can't really comment on it but its apprently for the rough stuff from the shore and light boat fishing.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Going USA have a look at Penn torques.
Avet reels.Daiwa saltists/saltiga''s saltiga''s jap made but you will find gear over there that don't find here mind we have gear they don't get normally crap! But we got Penn 525T''s which was just a UK reel fettled by Neil McKellow many did find there way else where though.
Shimano have some other USA spec reels to.
Torques though can be used for beach and boat 100 has mag brakes.

Grinders shimano aero technicums mgs ci4 take your pick new ultegra is out there now also look at fliegans/bullseyes if find them there?
Penn have a couple of good ones USA made not the Chinese types we have here but most USA grinders are for short range work as they fish on piers.
Before you go look up shimano.USA shows you what they ship there as not same as eu or far east
Okuma have some nice reels there but spares!!!
Another one is Accurate reels but once there like an aladdins cave see gear never seen before!
Another thing can do is look up some of the USA shops give you some idea of price etc and stock but not everything is cheaper there or if is not by much to warrant paying duty esp if customs get sniffing but there are ways to do things!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just been an the Walmart site this morning, they have some of the reels mentioned above and are about 30% cheaper than here in the UK so will have a good look when I'm there but thanks so far for the advice. Will keep you all posted with my finds. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.