World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys im new to lure fishing and I'm looking for a 20lb shockleader for my lure rod. I currently have 15lb braid on my reel what are some good shockleaders to use please?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
20lb is too heavy. you will loose your braid instead of the leader.
Not necessarily, the weakest part of the braid is always at the knot so will break there instead of up the braid mainline. I like to use a heavier mono leader to give better abrasion resistance, usually 15-20lb braid to a 25lb leader, I fish rough ground 99% of the time. It works for me, also I have found that after time, braid will degrade quite rapidly with general use and UV exposure therefore your 20lb braid wont be 20lb for long and im not going to downgrade my leader just to suit the assumption that I will lose a chuck of mainline when pulling from a snag, the knot will break first.

Im not flat out disagreeing, its just my opinion based on what I have personally experienced.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i use these : STROFT ABR ( brown ) & SIGLON V ( green ) , diameter 0.40 , about 20 Lbs , very good abrasion resistance ! better than fluoro ( i used to use GAMAKATSU )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts