World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys im new to lure fishing and I'm looking for a 20lb shockleader for my lure rod. I currently have 15lb braid on my reel what are some good shockleaders to use please?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
20lb is too heavy. you will loose your braid instead of the leader.
Not necessarily, the weakest part of the braid is always at the knot so will break there instead of up the braid mainline. I like to use a heavier mono leader to give better abrasion resistance, usually 15-20lb braid to a 25lb leader, I fish rough ground 99% of the time. It works for me, also I have found that after time, braid will degrade quite rapidly with general use and UV exposure therefore your 20lb braid wont be 20lb for long and im not going to downgrade my leader just to suit the assumption that I will lose a chuck of mainline when pulling from a snag, the knot will break first.

Im not flat out disagreeing, its just my opinion based on what I have personally experienced.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not necessarily, the weakest part of the braid is always at the knot so will break there instead of up the braid mainline. I like to use a heavier mono leader to give better abrasion resistance, usually 15-20lb braid to a 25lb leader, I fish rough ground 99% of the time. It works for me, also I have found that after time, braid will degrade quite rapidly with general use and UV exposure therefore your 20lb braid wont be 20lb for long and im not going to downgrade my leader just to suit the assumption that I will lose a chuck of mainline when pulling from a snag, the knot will break first.
@NIrishDane interesting point you make about braid weakening/degrading. May I ask your advice: do you test or discard the first few metres of braid mainline periodically; or just live with the knowledge?

Thank you, Andrew

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
I like stroft too. If you want a cheap fluro trilene 100% is cheap and reliable

·
Registered
73 Posts
i use these : STROFT ABR ( brown ) & SIGLON V ( green ) , diameter 0.40 , about 20 Lbs , very good abrasion resistance ! better than fluoro ( i used to use GAMAKATSU )
@sergeï I know and use Stroft ABR (and GTM) for my flyfishing tippet material. It is great stuff!

I am interested to know which knot you choose to connect Stroft ABR leader to your braid mainline
(I am very new to braid and lure fishing :))

Thank you, Andrew

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Andrew ,
the FG or Peixet knot ( i knot this one faster but it's resistance is a bit less than the FG ) , i must admit that the FG is THE strongest knot i have ever tied ( and i had done a lot of tests ) and it goes well through small guides
yes , the Stroft is very good ! i use the ABR on rough ground (before , it was Gamakatsu fluoro 40% = same abrasion resistance) and the GTM sometimes on clean spots (with "shy" fish)
my abrasion test with the 2 stroft lines have demonstrated me that ABR is twice !! abrasion resistant as GTM (wich is softer )
these colored lines are less shiny than clear ones : like it

since 3 seasons , no more leader when spots are obstacles free

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
@NIrishDane interesting point you make about braid weakening/degrading. May I ask your advice: do you test or discard the first few metres of braid mainline periodically; or just live with the knowledge?

Thank you, Andrew
I usually don't discard the first few meters of braid due to degradation, I do however look to see if is frayed or fluffing up frequently, then discard that as that is much more of an issue. Could be anything from 1ft or 10ft+ just depends on what I find. Realistically you should get a seasons fishing out of a reel spooled once, not accounting for cuts and frays etc... saying that I live in N Ireland so its dull and miserable for 75% of the year! I assume if you're somewhere on the south coast of England the UV factor is generally higher. It definitely is a factor though.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Trilene XT or Amnesia for me both tough as old boots, Trilene fluoro I use in rivers. Found some pure fluoros to be somewhat brittle, do not knot well and I have had several breakages at the knot. FG, modified Alberto or PR knot all with Rizzoto finish. Lipsalve makes a good knot lube and I have never had braid go "off", frayed and beaten up from contact damage at the working end but I expect that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts