I've been looking at a sonik sk3 14' and an abu 7000i or a daiwa slosh,
I mostly fish bognor or pagham beach so don't
Know if these are right for the conditions so opinions or advice wonld be very
greatful.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Abu 6500 C3 CT Mag Elite.

You'll need a reel with a power handle to cope with summer weed, but this model will do just about anything from hounds to tiddlers. Superb reel for novice (like me) or pro.

Any 12 to 13ft light beechcaster.

And thats it!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hanleyfender is right on the rod length 12 - 13ft will do fine, I use 2 penn 525gsmags and never had a problem, used to use a pair of penn surfblaster guvnors but I broke one and replaced it with an Abu esprit 13ft which seems ok but the reel seat is a bit [email protected] and needs a bit of rubber under it to stop it slipping around! just need to actualy catch a fish on it to see what it's really like.

jim

·
Registered
281 Posts
if you can afford to treat your self try the zziplex hsm ive got 2 and they are defo the best thing ive bought in 22 yrs of fishing amazing tip and very strong and defo go with the abu c3 ct elite perfect combo for nearly all fishing situations :punk:

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I'm looking to buy a new rod and reel
I've been looking at a sonik sk3 14' and an abu 7000i or a daiwa slosh,
I mostly fish bognor or pagham beach so don't
Know if these are right for the conditions so opinions or advice wonld be very
greatful.
For those beaches you don't need a reel as heavy as those. Go for an Abu 6500 or Penn 515 size reel.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have a 14foot sk3 and its a loveley rod really good apart from the eyes are a lil fragile lol but that might be me i use a penn 525 mag and they work perfectley together i really like both rod and reel and make a loveley set up together and once i had the sk3 it put much more distance on my cast

chris

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Both the Abu and penn are fantastic reels, but the Akios 656CTM is a quality piece of kit as well

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm looking at the sonic rods as well. They look really good.and their reputation is excellent too!!

·
Crinkly line
2,643 Posts
Another vote for the Penn either 515 or 525 size, the latter might be a better all rounder and better if you decide to fish a rougher beach and want to up your line diamiter, slosh and especially a 7000 are over gunned for what you want them for.

nothing wrong with a 14' rod either, yeah a 12 or 13 will do the job, but longer rods do make it easier casting long rigs and dont need as much effort, also good if there is lots of weed around as you can get your tip that bit higher up to avoid what you can.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
ive got the sonik sk3 14ft 5-7oz and it is a really good rod for the price, its handled selsey's finest weed no problem, put a big bait out far enough for the doggies (all ive caught on it) , the bite detection was good, goes well with a 525mag there a good combi :punk:,nothing wrong with a 14ft rod imho, helps with the tip being higher up in the air to avoid the weed (if theres any) , been thinking about getting a slosh 20 myself..:drunk:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts