World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I recently opened a service hatch in the cockpit locker of my Jeanneau Merry Fisher 605.
In the compartment behind this hatch runs o.a. the mechanical steering cable that starts at the helm in the cabin, and continues to the outboard engine at the back of the boat.

I noticed that this steering cable is not running in a straight line, but contains a huge, 360 degree loop.
The loop measures a circumference of no less than 140cm...

I'm wondering if this loop is the correct way to install this cable, instead of a straight line.
My steering wheel turns heavy, it's quite possible this loop could be the cause of this problem.

I've heard of loops in steering cables close to the outboard, to enable better tilting/turning.
This loop is in the middle of the cable: only explanation I can think of is that the loop merely serves to force fit a too long cable
???

I understand the steering cable has been pre-installed in the factory.

How is this on your boats?

THANKS,V.

·
Registered
23,810 Posts
Doesn't seem right to me?

Reactions: JonD

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
I’m surprised a Merry Fisher 605 doesn’t come with hydraulic steering.
But to answer your problem, try disconnecting the engine and checking it’s not the engine swivel being stiff that’s causing the heavy steering.
You can of course get different length steering cables, so if all is well with the engine swivel you could replace the cable (or upgrade to hydraulic steering)

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Agree with above comments, steering cable is to long and hydraulic is far better, that being said manual steering cables should still work relatively freely.

Is the steering heavy all the time or just at certain speeds or more heavy turning to one side more than the other.

Cables are relatively cheap, you could estimate how much cable is in the loop and buy a one that much shorter. What size engine do you have ? bellow 150 should be ok on cable steering but hydraulic is simply so much nicer. I managed to fit hydraulic myself pretty easily (in fact very easily).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree with above comments, steering cable is to long and hydraulic is far better, that being said manual steering cables should still work relatively freely.

Is the steering heavy all the time or just at certain speeds or more heavy turning to one side more than the other.

Cables are relatively cheap, you could estimate how much cable is in the loop and buy a one that much shorter. What size engine do you have ? bellow 150 should be ok on cable steering but hydraulic is simply so much nicer. I managed to fit hydraulic myself pretty easily (in fact very easily).
Thanks! Hydraulic will happen for sure someday. I'm just disgusted about -another- poor install on my boat of that famous brand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts