World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after leaving edinburgh on thursday night with an overnight stay in oslo we arrived in alta to be greeted with clear blue skies and 20c, a bit breeze and no taxi waiting for us..

a quick call to ian peacock, a bit to-ing and fro-ing and eventually a mini bus pulled up driven by the norwegian rod stewart going by his haircut, a change of driver and a refuel and we were off to oksfjord to miss the ferry by 20 minutes.

we were met by the transport guy who was totally honest and had forgotten to write our trip in the diary, as we had 4 hours til the next ferry he took us to the oksfjord village fair and we were watered and fed with a bowl of reindeer soup and a cold can of arctic beer.

while we were waiting on the ferry davey and liam decided to have a fish from the wharf catching coalies, codling and (a surprise for me) some big mackerel.

on arrival at sandland at 9pm we were met by steinar our host and shown to our digs then on to the boat, it was sunset at approx 9.30pm but still a bit of light around but the fjord was bumpy with the s/e wind whistling through it.

back at the digs the lads were milling around getting settled, unpacking etc when i appeared in the living room with my waterproof strides on, my boat boots on and my fishing smock with 2 rods in my hand, they thought i was winding them up "who's going fishing?"

we left the pontoon at 9.45 and headed out, luckily it was pretty dark and i couldn't see the waves, we headed over to the far side on the fjord behind a wee curve in the shore and started fishing, not great, one nice haddock for supper and we ended with a hairy ride back to sandland in the dark coming in at 1pm in the pitch dark, next morning the adventure began properly...

this trip was arranged by me for my son's 21st birthday and it will be a birthday present he'll never forget...

oksfjord

liams first cod

liam's second halibut, don't ask about the first...

another cod

while fishing for haddock for the dinner he was winding up a small fish which was hit in midwater and taken straight back to the bottom, halibut we thought, no no.... a 43lb cod...taken on a 12lb class kenzaki...

his first catfish

and his second biggest cod @ 38lb which took a small tusk which had taken his pirk and was hit on the way up...

heeeeeelp meeeee!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Cracking pics Les...your son looks well chuffed with his birthday present..well done to him. Les i'm sorry but i have to ..the suspense is killing me...What happened to the first Halibut??

Again well done to your son.

·
Registered
242 Posts
ha ha colin, i'd tell you but then i'd have to kill you....:ph34r:
:laugh:...Ok Les we will leave it at that.. but you have to tell me where you got that bonny looking shad?.. got loads, but iv'e just gotta have one of those:fishing:
Seen your thread in the Scottish forum..so i know part 2 is gonna be good:thumbs: Thanks again for the death threat :cc_surren and the report

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:laugh:...Ok Les we will leave it at that.. but you have to tell me where you got that bonny looking shad?.. got loads, but iv'e just gotta have one of those:fishing:
Seen your thread in the Scottish forum..so i know part 2 is gonna be good:thumbs: Thanks again for the death threat :cc_surren and the report
here you go colin,

http://www.onlinelures.co.uk/shads_...savage-gear-cutbait-herring-25cm-460-puf.html

the puffin one grabs your attention but for me it was the worst lure i tried, i got more fish on the luminous one, my biggest cod came on the small sized one in the herring pattern and daveys 45lb fish came on the same, 260g herring...

i'll never use those horrible sea wavers again, liam didn't listen to me and took one and fished it with a 12" shad, got a cod knocking on for 30lb but ripped his hands trying to get it back from it's throat and ended up having to kill the fish in the end, not a good result...

we don't call liam "the boy blunder" for nothing, i'll spill the beans on the first halibut later...:wallbash:

·
Registered
242 Posts
here you go colin,

http://www.onlinelures.co.uk/shads_...savage-gear-cutbait-herring-25cm-460-puf.html

the puffin one grabs your attention but for me it was the worst lure i tried, i got more fish on the luminous one, my biggest cod came on the small sized one in the herring pattern and daveys 45lb fish came on the same, 260g herring...

i'll never use those horrible sea wavers again, liam didn't listen to me and took one and fished it with a 12" shad, got a cod knocking on for 30lb but ripped his hands trying to get it back from it's throat and ended up having to kill the fish in the end, not a good result...

we don't call liam "the boy blunder" for nothing, i'll spill the beans on the first halibut later...:wallbash:
Thanks for the link Les. Your right those puffins do look the biz, my mates have come back from Skjervoy this year raving about them! and, also the one your son got his first fish on..hence my interest in them mate. I did use a 260 gram cutbait herring last oct, but found i was loosing a lot of fish soon after hooking so reverted back to my old faithful storm shads.

I did buy two of those seawaver lures after reading your report from Vannoya, gave them a go but caught nowt on them but our fingers!!...Wish we had taken your advice regards the sticking plasters!

Les you are being far too hard on young Liam..looks like he done good to me :thumbs: Colin.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I can vouch for the puffin and luminous cutbaits (the herring and orange/gold one also good at times) - produced the goods for us in august. Unfortunately can also vouch for the bumped fish! I would say at least half of the real quality fish hooked dropped off - and a couple of these were most likely good halibut too.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice report Les once again some cracking shots.
Nice to see some big Cod still around.

Wot no 100Lb Halibut!:g:
hi jon,

sorry mate, to be honest we only specifically fished for butts a couple of times but only got 1 in the boat about 12lb targeting them, i did hook a good one right off the tip of loppa in about 140 feet on a norway pirk with a gummi on the top split, it made a couple of good runs then came off, i'll be dumping those fladen gummis long before the next trip as all i was left with was a swivel, liam checked the others in the pack and all of them didn't have the eyes closed properly on the hook after fitting the swivel...sh*t gear...:wallbash:

next closest was when george was was bringing in a 6lb codling and was taken from about 20 feet under the boat at a rapid rate of knots back to the bottom then let go, i think this might have been the big one...

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Les, Glad to hear you had a great trip, looks like Liam did the biz, well done Liam !!! Great pictures mate, look forward to part 2.

Cheers,
Ian Peacock

www.dintur.co.uk
peacock[MENTION=9599]din[/MENTION]tur.co.uk
cheers ian, i've been meaning to give you a phone but its been hectic since i got back..

thanks for the heads up on the venue, truly outstanding fishing...:punk:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hi Les,

Top trip, glad Liam enjoyed his birthday present. Father and son in a fishing mecca, that will be in his memory for a long time. Had to laugh at the Sea Weaver comment, sometimes they just need to learn the hard way:nonono: Did you hand him the electrical tape or did you let the Norwegean salt take its toll ?

Will give you a bell this week.

Martin

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Les,

Top trip, glad Liam enjoyed his birthday present. Father and son in a fishing mecca, that will be in his memory for a long time. Had to laugh at the Sea Weaver comment, sometimes they just need to learn the hard way:nonono: Did you hand him the electrical tape or did you let the Norwegean salt take its toll ?

Will give you a bell this week.

Martin
ha ha, guess who was the only one without black tape on his fingers....

ME!!!

i got my share of cuts but davey was ripped to shreds...lol

some mixed messages here...lol

·
Registered
887 Posts
Indeed there is Les.. could mean a number of things! Saved the day for me on many an occasion and is a Norway essential even more so when the Weavers are in the boat. Volker might get a court case one day...

Off rat fishing in the wild wild west this weekend with Willie and Jamie. The forecast is horrific. I'm up for some storm beach fishing but this might be the next level:wacko: Not the best of weather to put time into a newish venue but that's showbiz.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Indeed there is Les.. could mean a number of things! Saved the day for me on many an occasion and is a Norway essential even more so when the Weavers are in the boat. Volker might get a court case one day...

Off rat fishing in the wild wild west this weekend with Willie and Jamie. The forecast is horrific. I'm up for some storm beach fishing but this might be the next level:wacko: Not the best of weather to put time into a newish venue but that's showbiz.
i can mind 20 or more years ago about double figure bass getting caught regularly on the surf beach there, it was kept pretty hush hush at the time, you might find the conditions are spot on, big lugworm baits is what you want...

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cracking pics Les...your son looks well chuffed with his birthday present..well done to him. Les i'm sorry but i have to ..the suspense is killing me...What happened to the first Halibut??

Again well done to your son.
hi colin, i did promise you the lowdown on liams first halibut....

first full day and we had went to a mark recommended by steinar, liam desperate for his first halibut was fishing intensely, hooked a fish and wound it in, he declared another cod before seeing it as apart from a couple of nods and head shakes it really hadn't done anything...

so to our surprise up pops a halibut in the 30lb class, i scrambled for the gaff which as usual was under jackets, jumpers etc, in the meantime liam has it on the surface, taken a wrap of his leader round his hand and proceeded to lift the fish head and shoulders out the water waiting for the gaff, me and davey shouting NOOOO!!!

now the fish which had done nothing in the water burst into spectacular life before either liam could let go or i got the gaff in it and of course it snapped the 70lb leader...

but thats not the worst of it, he had been using my big 460g lumo cutbait without asking me, the last i saw of it was as the halibut was hurtling for the bottom, i kept seeing the white underside of it's tail then the green lumo shad in it's mouth.... tail, shad, tail shad til it was out of sight...:doh:

i was gutted, my favourite lure gone, but i kept calm and professional, went over to the GPS and marked the co-ords into it for the halibut mark...

next day liam was driving the boat and i suggested we try that mark again, as he neared the mark a name appeared on the screen, i hadn't told anyone i had put a proper name on for the lost halibut mark...

i only had 9 characters to play with so it was called LIAMSADIK...:thumbs:

so for the rest of the week he got it tight about his mark...:fishing:

oh and he still hasn't said sorry for losing my lumo shad, gawd, i really should let that go...:sad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts