World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

As some of you know I am quite new to fishing the Scottish east coast....most of my experience is on the Yorkshire and Norfolk coasts. Some risks are the same here as in Yorkshire and Norfolk and some are unique to these places.

What I'd like to put out there is this.....is there anything we can do, as a group, to prevent deaths like those which occured last week from happening again?

Heres a couple of thoughts of mine:

1) Quite obvious...don't fish alone and if you do, tell someone where you are going and what time you'll be back, and inform them if you move or are going to be late.
2) If rock fishing carry the minimum of gear with you.....so that you can pack up and get out of there quickly if things turn nasty. If the weather gets up you don't want to be taking half an hour to get packed up.
3) Wear a floaty or a life jacket.............what are peoples thoughts? Is a life jacket better than a floaty or the other way around?
4) If it looks dodgy, don't risk it. I'm very much aware that what looks dodgy to me will look fine to someone with more experience, so fish within your abilities and comfort zone.
5) If you are unfamiliar with a mark fish it in daylight before you try a night session.
6) Know the tides so you don't get cut off
7) Check the weather forecast for worsening weather...it might be fine when you start a session but forecast to get bad later on
8) Carry a mobile phone and check you can get a signal if you need it

If anyone would like to add other measures we could take to reduce the risk of this happening again that would be great. The above are just some things which came to mind....

Cheers, and like everyone on here my thoughts are with the families and friends of those killed last week. R.I.P. lads!

Jonnie

G

·
Accidents will ALWAYS happen no matter how hard we try to avoid them, there will always be a freak wave or gust of wind to take the angler by surprise.Considering the man hours put into sea angling there are a very miniscule percentage of fatal accidents.
I personally don't think anything will help more than common sense.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I dont think we'll ever stop things like this happening, we can only minimize the risk using the measures pointed out by Jonnie.
I use all of the measures mentioned apart from not fishing alone (yeah i'm a loner!).

·
Registered
198 Posts
To me its quite simple if the weathers bad dont go out on the rocks !!! its not rocket science it really does get on my nerves when you read about these poor guys getting swept to there death in the name of fishing , it smacks of sheer stupidity to be out there in bad conditions !!!!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
To me its quite simple if the weathers bad dont go out on the rocks !!! its not rocket science it really does get on my nerves when you read about these poor guys getting swept to there death in the name of fishing , it smacks of sheer stupidity to be out there in bad conditions !!!!
You maybe don't know the areas or the conditions up here on the East Coast, nor the circumstances regarding the recent tragedy. On the same weekend a motor cyclist was killed and a hill walker was swept away by an avalanche
Accidents can happen, it does not mean people are not being careful when pursuing their sport or hobby, people jump out of aeroplanes for fun. It is not stupidity that drives people to do these things and your comments could be seen as disrespectful.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Well said burnie!

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
Heres a couple of thoughts of mine:

3) Wear a floaty or a life jacket.............what are peoples thoughts? Is a life jacket better than a floaty or the other way around?

Jonnie
I am not commenting on the rest but on the quoted part -

A properly worn lifejacket as well as providing buoyancy when inflated is also designed to physically turn you the right way round, face up, and keep you that way, even if you are unconscious.

Floatation suits or buoyancy aids as far as I am aware do not, as such it's a lifejacket for me every time.

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
I am not commenting on the rest but on the quoted part -

A properly worn lifejacket as well as providing buoyancy when inflated is also designed to physically turn you the right way round, face up, and keep you that way, even if you are unconscious.

Floatation suits or buoyancy aids as far as I am aware do not, as such it's a lifejacket for me every time.
Absolutely spot on Steven, floaty suits are great for keeping you afloat but proper automatically inflating lifejacket will float the right way up, essential for anyone who is unconcious. Many folks like the floaty suit for the added bonus of it being warm to wear on poor days/nights but for all the cost of a decent lifejacket I would recommend wearing both.

·
Registered
752 Posts
To add to the points already made. Mobile phone down the cliffs have either poor signal or none at all. And not a hope in hells chance of working when in the water. So a life jacket with PLB fitted and waterproof GMDSS Vhf Radio if you wanted to go down that route.

Cheers Jim

·
Registered
393 Posts
All sensible ideas and worth thinking about
I have started to carry a throw line prob only because i won it at raffle at sick kids
Thankfully never needed to use it ! But if it ever does save someones life and prevents that persons family from going through what
The two families of the lost anglers must be
Then will be more than worth the little bit of extra weight to carry
Condolences to both families involved

·
Registered
155 Posts
Life Jackets to me is a good way to have some sort buoyancy aid to have, if going out fishing, alone or with a group or fishing club. In this day and age I know quite a lot of us who enjoy the sport can barely afford reasonable tackle to participate in this pastime we all like, but to purchase a Life Jacket for some of us may not be within our means. So what about a petition of some sort being sent to relative authorities of fishing associations, to purchase ample quantities of these garments, so that either the individuals or groups, or clubs, can purchase them at reasonable prices to help to keep anglers safer. This is only a thought going through my mind, but what do you guys think.

G

·
i can only echo burnies thoughts. i doubt even a life jacket is going to help much if you are unconcious and there are ten foot waves rolling over you.without a doubt it may help in some situations,if someone wants to volunteer sherpa services for carrying that,some radios along with the already trimmed down kit 200 feet down and up a cliff i will be quite happy to use them.

there is nothing anyone can do to stop this happening again.just the same as people will always fall off ladders,planes ,trains and cars will keep crashing. the main thing in recent years was to highlight the dangers to newbies and some of the eastern european lads who just didnt realise how dangerous a big sea was.there does not appear to be a problem in that area now.

experienced anglers will continue to fish alone and fish the areas where the fish are.thats the way it is,always has been ,and always will be.
no one sets out to have an accident,and to my knowledge there is no way to stop people slipping,tripping and having the odd fall on the rocks,other than stop fishing off rocks.that is not going to happen.
cheers rab

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Sorry for popping in here to post but with all the sad news recently this has been on my mind a lot.
I always go fishing alone but try and take care however accidents do happen.
Maybe and this is just my thought a memorial thread where the names of anglers/members who are sadly lost whilst out fishing will be a constant reminder of the dangers out there and make people think how easily these things can happen.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Someone mentioned mobile phone signals earlier, you can register your phone with the police and coast guard by texting a number (for the life of me I cant remember it). Anyway if you are in teouble you can text or phone this number even without a signal as it uses any satelite it finds no matter which network.its on.

You need to register your phone.with the number first and you will find it if you Google it.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Rab you've got it in one, I think a lot of people have not read your thread informing people that the lad was not a novice, sorry to all if this sounds a bit harsh, but please read Rabs thread with regards to afore mentioned it's on the the other site. I don't mean to be hard hearted because after reading Rabs thread it was an accident
Ps mods if you's think I'm out of line please delete this
Bert(old yin)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Someone mentioned mobile phone signals earlier, you can register your phone with the police and coast guard by texting a number (for the life of me I cant remember it). Anyway if you are in teouble you can text or phone this number even without a signal as it uses any satelite it finds no matter which network.its on.

You need to register your phone.with the number first and you will find it if you Google it.
You could also get a Manx mobile sim which roams all major networks finding the strongest signal

·
Registered
25,001 Posts
Exactly!!!!! I get really peed off when i see another tragedy!!! Having lost a family member and two mates to the sea through the work they were doing i just dont understand the need to go shore angling for fun when its rough!!! There was a fairly big campaign when coarse anglers got electrocuted when hitting power lines with carbon poles,why not have a big shore angling safety campaign after the recent tragedys???:boxing:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Exactly!!!!! I get really peed off when i see another tragedy!!! Having lost a family member and two mates to the sea through the work they were doing i just dont understand the need to go shore angling for fun when its rough!!! There was a fairly big campaign when coarse anglers got electrocuted when hitting power lines with carbon poles,why not have a big shore angling safety campaign after the recent tragedys???:boxing:
:marinheir the only time i go fishing is when its ruff !! its the only time i catch a fish , maybe i am alone on this one !! lock me up !!:lock:
i must stop riding ma motorbike too !

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i can only echo burnies thoughts. i doubt even a life jacket is going to help much if you are unconcious and there are ten foot waves rolling over you.without a doubt it may help in some situations,if someone wants to volunteer sherpa services for carrying that,some radios along with the already trimmed down kit 200 feet down and up a cliff i will be quite happy to use them.

there is nothing anyone can do to stop this happening again.just the same as people will always fall off ladders,planes ,trains and cars will keep crashing. the main thing in recent years was to highlight the dangers to newbies and some of the eastern european lads who just didnt realise how dangerous a big sea was.there does not appear to be a problem in that area now.

experienced anglers will continue to fish alone and fish the areas where the fish are.thats the way it is,always has been ,and always will be.
no one sets out to have an accident,and to my knowledge there is no way to stop people slipping,tripping and having the odd fall on the rocks,other than stop fishing off rocks.that is not going to happen.
cheers rab
I agree that there will always be SOME risk involved with whatever you do.....but, would you drive your car at 90 mph on an icy road, try and climb a ladder with the foot in slippery mud or get on a plane with a drunk pilot that was willing to fly in a hurricane!!?? No, you wouldn't........ I'm just trying to point out some things that will make it safer. If one of us goes into the sea its not just us at risk but also the people who are called out to help us, and its not just us who suffer, its our families and friends we would leave behind. I'm not trying to stop anyone from enjoying themselves, just attempting to get a conversation going to try and make it safer. As per your comment above, that a life jacket isn't going to help with 10 ft waves rolling over you.....should you really be putting yourself in a position where 10 ft waves COULD roll over you? No one ever fell into the sea, for whatever reason, in a storm with 10 ft waves, that WASN'T by the sea in the storm in the first place! The majority of these incidents CAN be avoided and we owe it to our families and friends and also to the coastguard and Lifeboat crews to make every effort that they are avoided.

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
I agree that there will always be SOME risk involved with whatever you do.....but, would you drive your car at 90 mph on an icy road, try and climb a ladder with the foot in slippery mud or get on a plane with a drunk pilot that was willing to fly in a hurricane!!?? No, you wouldn't........ I'm just trying to point out some things that will make it safer. If one of us goes into the sea its not just us at risk but also the people who are called out to help us, and its not just us who suffer, its our families and friends we would leave behind. I'm not trying to stop anyone from enjoying themselves, just attempting to get a conversation going to try and make it safer. As per your comment above, that a life jacket isn't going to help with 10 ft waves rolling over you.....should you really be putting yourself in a position where 10 ft waves COULD roll over you? No one ever fell into the sea, for whatever reason, in a storm with 10 ft waves, that WASN'T by the sea in the storm in the first place! The majority of these incidents CAN be avoided and we owe it to our families and friends and also to the coastguard and Lifeboat crews to make every effort that they are avoided.
I have lived, worked, and played on or beside the sea for my entire 49 years on this planet.

I have witnessed more close shaves and had more friends and colleagues taken by the sea than possibly most.

As always I will continue to enjoy the sea, doing as much as I can to manage risk, but always appreciating that by enjoying the sea I am always going to place myself in a fair degree of danger, for me the enjoyment outweighs the risks a million times over.

In answer to your original question, what can we do, we can be as careful and risk aware as possible, just the same as we have always been, bad things can always happen when dealing with the unpredictable, and they do not come any more unpredictable than the seas around our shores......:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts