World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont know about you, but i loose a good bit of fishing gear every year - experience has lessened the amount but i still loose pilks and assorted gear.
There are several fishing hot spots in this area (west coast of norway ) and the loss is far more than significant.
Saltstraumen is a very popular fishing spot further north - and diving too - the local diving club has for a number of years been salvaging lost tackle - so far they estimate they have pulled in over 7 tons - we are not talking about nets, or anchors - we are talking about pilks and lures.
https://www.nrk.no/nordland/har-fje...r-fra-naturperle-_-hedret-med-pris-1.13366666

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I'm sure the same applies to most of the UK wrecks, with probably many multiples of that given the number of boats fishing them. I've certainly made my contributions!

Could be worth making friends with those divers Bertie!

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
I'm sure the same applies to most of the UK wrecks, with probably many multiples of that given the number of boats fishing them. I've certainly made my contributions!

Could be worth making friends with those divers Bertie!
ive seen some images of the wrecks off whitby mate

they look like xmas trees
hundreds of twisted lines nearly 2" thick, looking like ropes streaming in the tide where they have all spun together
shads, pirks, chrome door handle , the lot, so it shows how long they have been fished over!

·
Registered
11,733 Posts
Sadly We are seeing more snags over some of the plateaus in the areas we fish. Never had trouble before the trawlers were allowed inside.
Some of the popular marks still hold fish But are almost unfishable because of lost commercial nets/lines. Am talking about Northern Norway.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Sadly We are seeing more snags over some of the plateaus in the areas we fish. Never had trouble before the trawlers were allowed inside.
Some of the popular marks still hold fish But are almost unfishable because of lost commercial nets/lines. Am talking about Northern Norway.
Not really experienced that Nick, 9 visits think I've lost 3 pirks ( threw one over side before clipping to my line!! Sleep deprivation!!) lost one big shad on a fish though have lost probably 7 or 8 halibut rigs over the years but to be expected!

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
think I've lost 3 pirks ( threw one over side before clipping to my line!! Sleep deprivation!!)
Bry, we've all done that, my mate did that twice last year and I've done it twice in two trips, you clip the lure to the swivel and throw it over the side before realising you haven't actually attached the trace to the main line, you would think having done it once I would have learnt, that's what Norway does to you and you just can't wait to get fishing, but it does help to have a lure on the end. :):):)

In five Norway trips I've only lost two lures apart from the the ones mentioned above that I was using as ground bait, the first was in Buroysund where I was spooled by a Halibut that didn't even know it was hooked and the second was in Sandland when I broke off over a fast rising pinnacle :mad2:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fredrik who often goes fishing with me likes to use about 20 lures at a time - everything from rubber eels to standard spoons -often with bits of various types of bait attached.
His attitude is to fill the freezer as quickly as possible and he gets more than most here. (west coast of Norway)
His lure lines are kept in a plastic carrier bag - recently he decided to remove the line of lures he was using and attach a new set.
We had been quite busy.
After fiddling around for quite some time, he stood up and threw the pilk on the end over the side - it was rapidly followed by the rest as usual only this time he had forgotten to fasten it to the line coming from the rod.
That is pretty awesome 20 in one go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts