World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having re joined my local club after a 5 year break. I have been inspired by the recent catch reports. Plenty of Bream and some biggish tench to be had was the word on the street.
Baring in mind that I have fished this lake for 50 years or so Match style tactics.
First effort was a month ago where I had 3 Bream of about 6 lbs. Loads of liners but not may hook ups.
Next time out fished the same swim and spodded out lots of particles. A big fat blank was my reward on that trip with only a liner that pulled my rod off the rest.
Did a little recon sesh yesterday and saw 4 guys fishing a different area of the lake on adjacent pegs all fishing feeder style.
Well rude not to take advantage of a previously fed area.
I got to this area early doors (Six in the morning) and put out 15 feeder fulls of bait.(pellets corn/hemp). Got my box sorted out and settled down to the obligatory 2 hr wait before the fish turn up.
Err no. 8 in 8 chucks was more than i expected. All averaging 7lb. Went a little quiet for a time But had little bursts of them up till 11.30.
Icing on the cake was a lovely Tench of easy 6lb. Final tally 19 Bream..1 Tench..1Hybrid of a lb. All fish caught on hair rigged double corn or a 6 mil boilie. at 60 yds using a 40 grm rocket feeder in 16ft of water.
And apart from the fishing..Spitfires flew past all morning..And am pretty sure that a Pike attacked a Moorhen building a nest in the reedbeds next to me. The reed warblers were giving it some also. As I was packing up i met one of the 4 guys that fished this area the previous day. Was gobsmacked to hear that 2 of them had only a handful of small Roach.
The guy that fished the next peg to mine had a foul hooked 2lb Bream and nothing else. The guy that fished my peg yesterday BLANKED.
Thanks for the prebait guys. 馃槑

Registered
Just hope our beach session on Saturday evening down in East Sussex will produce some flatties.
Well I am sure it will, but wish you very tight lines, and bag up an some stunning fish.

I will be on the fly rod after mullet, just preping myself for another blank lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I am sure it will, but wish you very tight lines, and bag up an some stunning fish.

I will be on the fly rod after mullet, just preping myself for another blank lol
All the best of luck Gavin. Mullet are crafty sods.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had another go in the same swim today. How times change. 21 fish last week...only 6 today. But more than happy with 3 Bream to 6lb12 oz. and 3 Tench to 5lb 14oz. only had 6 proper bites in 6 hrs fishing with the odd twitch. Another lovely day out.

The Cheeky Essex Lure Fisher, joined March 2010
Having re joined my local club after a 5 year break. I have been inspired by the recent catch reports. Plenty of Bream and some biggish tench to be had was the word on the street.
Baring in mind that I have fished this lake for 50 years or so Match style tactics.
First effort was a month ago where I had 3 Bream of about 6 lbs. Loads of liners but not may hook ups.
Next time out fished the same swim and spodded out lots of particles. A big fat blank was my reward on that trip with only a liner that pulled my rod off the rest.
Did a little recon sesh yesterday and saw 4 guys fishing a different area of the lake on adjacent pegs all fishing feeder style.
Well rude not to take advantage of a previously fed area.
I got to this area early doors (Six in the morning) and put out 15 feeder fulls of bait.(pellets corn/hemp). Got my box sorted out and settled down to the obligatory 2 hr wait before the fish turn up.
Err no. 8 in 8 chucks was more than i expected. All averaging 7lb. Went a little quiet for a time But had little bursts of them up till 11.30.
Icing on the cake was a lovely Tench of easy 6lb. Final tally 19 Bream..1 Tench..1Hybrid of a lb. All fish caught on hair rigged double corn or a 6 mil boilie. at 60 yds using a 40 grm rocket feeder in 16ft of water.
And apart from the fishing..Spitfires flew past all morning..And am pretty sure that a Pike attacked a Moorhen building a nest in the reedbeds next to me. The reed warblers were giving it some also. As I was packing up i met one of the 4 guys that fished this area the previous day. Was gobsmacked to hear that 2 of them had only a handful of small Roach.
The guy that fished the next peg to mine had a foul hooked 2lb Bream and nothing else. The guy that fished my peg yesterday BLANKED.
Thanks for the prebait guys. 馃槑
went on the blackwater
sunday
so long since i heard loads of skylarks singing

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now that's a top session Nick,aint been among a shoal like that in many a year,well done fella.

Gazza
Cheers Gazza. The Bream in this lake have thrived on the bait put in by the Carp anglers over the years. A 4lb bream is regarded as a Skimmer now. And the Tench average 5lb.
Checked out some swims today that are very deep. Ideal for a big bag of slabs on the sliding float. We used to use that method on there before feeders were commonplace.
Have set my fishing buddy a challenge.....100lb of Bream on the slider. Hope all is well with you mate And looking forward to some of your river reports.

Registered
yer the usual Diabetic crap coming and going but hanging on in there matey....used to love the slider Nick,a forgotten art .......made many for fishing the Thames @ Teddington weir when punt fishing in 33 ft of water around 80 to 90....my mates son after school would fish the Longford river in Feltham for small live baits and once in an airiator bucket my mate would be on one end of the punt catching Perch to 3 1/2 pound whilst I was on tuther end with big sliders ....20 big balls of mole hill soil wetted and filled with shingle and 2 kgs of chopped lobbies and fished over with 1/2 a lob....the 100lb bags of slabs was regular....never over 8lb I guess but when your holding them up to take a guesstimate it was brilliant fun before sliding them back in...........god I miss them days ....ho hum........wish you well with 100lb from your lake......this season is gonna be hard chubbing,back end of last year I was catching regular 6lb fish on drennan clear loafers weighted and a 8mm halibut pellet fished on the drop with regular 6mm feed ....much like maggot fishing trying to hit their greed button....walked a few sections of the Avon and Stour and seen 7,s here and there so they are my target this year.......seen lots more Otters and a few dead Barbel remains so im leaving the whisker fishing alone,,,, .likewise matey hope this post finds you well.....Gazza

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well mate it looks like we both have a target to hit this season. I never thought i would be using pellets and Boilies to catch Bream. Much the same as you with the pellet approach for the Chub.
How times have changed. Adapt and bag up eh.?

Registered
Well mate it looks like we both have a target to hit this season. I never thought i would be using pellets and Boilies to catch Bream. Much the same as you with the pellet approach for the Chub.
How times have changed. Adapt and bag up eh.?
well I bumped into a fella who regularly catches good barbell and chub using his own products so I started to try pellet and boilie for the Tench and carp on the stills and also the chub.....had some success on the tip...but a few locals were persevering with the float ....its a Shiite or bust approach and one I try when on the move....still prefer the maggot to draw fish to a peg though....so its soft hookers on 14,s 4 lb line straight through ....lets see what happens ...once the weed dies back and I have some some clear Avon to attack.....good hunting them slabs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another lovely couple of hours observing But not fishing. Went down to the lake at 5.30 am today to see an old mate of mine. He had taken 3 other guys down there to sample the Bream fishing.
All was tranquil and flat calm. Not ideal for Bream but hey ho. Was sitting with my mate and the reed stems close in started knocking. Was the same for the other guys too in the other swims.
It was unbelievable to see loads of Tench of all sizes cruising up and down in the margins.
Change of tactics with a float close in resulted in 7 tench between them to nearly7 lbs. Only 1 Bream on the feeder and a lost Carp between all of them. It lashed down with rain after 0700 hrs and i was soaked walking back to my car. But cunning plan in the offing for the tench in the next few days.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sounds a good mission in the offing mate,eeerrrrr I take it your on the ponds now then.

Gazza
No mate. Still the big inland ocean 300 acres plus that has shallow margins and some reed beds. Saw quite a few Tench cruising close in again yesterday. Plumbed it up today with a float rig. Just a meter deep where the Tench are showing. Was thinking of fishing Pole and paste...but that would be Sacrilege on a natural water. Gonna get the weed rake out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts