World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Thursday (18/10) I have the job of dropping my youngest daughter and her mates at Thorpe Park about 10am. Then I get to lose myself for the day until pickup around 9pm at night.

The obvious direction would be to head down the M3 to Southampton / Portsmouth area and fish somewhere down there.

Tides arent helpful high water at 7am and 7pm and the day looks to be a bit windy and I dont know any of the venues down there.

Any suggestions for somewhere that fishes over low, bit sheltered and with a chance of catching something in daylight?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Terry,

might be worth giving Thorpe Park a call as they used to do day-tickets for Pike fishing.
Old Bury Hill at Dorking well worth a look for Pike and Zander.
River Thames at Old Windsor/Runnymeade, free fishing, pay for parking, a few pubs and eateries [Harvester and Toby carvery] close to the river.

Steve.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Terry,

might be worth giving Thorpe Park a call as they used to do day-tickets for Pike fishing.
Old Bury Hill at Dorking well worth a look for Pike and Zander.
River Thames at Old Windsor/Runnymeade, free fishing, pay for parking, a few pubs and eateries [Harvester and Toby carvery] close to the river.

Steve.
Thank Steve, now that you mention Zander I think I saw a Totally Awesome episode filmed at Bury Hill for Zander I will have a look on YouTube tonight.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Twynersh day ticket waters are right next to Thorpe Park...has been known for good pike

If you turn right out of Thorpe Park,down to the roundabout,3rd exit and it’s on your right after the pub

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Twynersh day ticket waters are right next to Thorpe Park...has been known for good pike

If you turn right out of Thorpe Park,down to the roundabout,3rd exit and it’s on your right after the pub
Thanks, that place does look good and local but maybe a bit daunting. I can seldom find the pike in my local lake without giving me a choice of 3 different pits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're not far from where I used to live and fish - Sunbury On Thames. A short drive there and plenty of parking spots in Lower Sunbury right next to the Thames on Fordbridge Road. I've had some nice pike out of there and it's super easy access. The Phoenix pub is good for grub, you can follow the river down through the village.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, not the usual sea fishing report. Today I had to drop my daughter and her mates at Thorpe Park then hang around until 9pm to pick them back up again. I looked at fishing Worthing or Southampton area but both are 60 miles plus from Thorpe Park and the tides and wind forecast wasn't promising for a daylight session. Instead, I decided on a bit of Pike fishing and decided to try Bury Hill Fishery in Dorking to have the chance of a Zander and so that I could take the dog with me.

I arrived about midday and Pike fishing was slow to non existent. In fact all fishing was slow to non existent, there must have been 20 puddlefishers around the lake and I didn't see anyone catch anything all afternoon. The dog started out dead keen, mostly keen on eating my bait, but soon got bored so every half hour or so she was demanding longer and longer walks around the bank. On one of these walks I was lucky enough to bump into Graeme Pullen of Totally Awesome Fishing fame. Graeme wasnt catching either so we had time for a long chat and he gave me a few tips for Zander fishing, which I hadn't done before. The fishery closes at 18.30pm but darkness is the best time for Zander so Graeme advised speaking to the bailiff to see if i could fish a bit later as the regulars can stay on until 9pm. This was solid gold information as I was still on a blank at 18.30 but by 19.15 when I packed up I had landed two Zander and could have caught more if I had taken a headlight. I stopped after two as the second was quite deep hooked and it was difficult to remove the hooks with a long set of forceps whilst using my iPhone as a torch and trying not to get bitten. Nice to get a new species, nice to dodge the blank and a nice place to fish. I will never enjoy coarse fishing as much as sea fishing but a bit of predator fishing can be a nice day out

1 - 20 of 24 Posts