World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived about 9 a.m.armed with some monster lug and good sized rag. Game plan today was to try and pick up a couple of bass for the pot.
Low tide was around 9 ish so decided that best way to fish was with a large bait on a 3/0 at various ranges. Fished one rod just beside the groin and one rod well out. Long story short the first hour saw 5 big pout 20-24cm and a few undersized all well out. as tide picked up fishing slowed down with just an odd pout and a small basslet close in. About 1.30 it all changed and around the groin i managed 5 sizeable codling best at 43cm 4 sizeable bass best at 49cm. Total fish 6 sizeable pout, 7 undersized, 5 sizeable codling, 4 sizeable bass, 1 undersized bass, 1 undersized whiting. All fish reurned except 2 bass for the pot. Best summers days fishing for years.
Dabslayer

·
Registered
535 Posts
well done dabslayer,its nice to here someone is catching.hoping for a good winter on the cod grounds this year still a few being caught and its still summer cant waite. cheers
Tony

·
Registered
983 Posts
Were they ready frozen for ya Steve, lol.
Seriously, nice one mate, was there much/any beach for ya to fish?
Anyway many congrats.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At low water Shaun there was loads of beach. Last couple of hours it was difficult to cast as it had pushed me almost back to the steps. (Very little vermin activity either.) However most of the fish were coming inside the groin so less of a problem. Bumped a couple of decent fish off as well but could have been anything. The codling were no grat surprise as i had a good bag of them there August time last year and they didnt half scrap. Again no snaggs that you cant pull off and all but one of the fish gave a good bite. I think i mentioned to you last week about not getting many bass this season. Had a look back through the archives and realised i had a few from the groins at birds eye last couple of years. Strangely no codling or bass on rag only on lug. Same old adage got to be in the right place at the right time.
Dabslayer

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well done Steve:clap:
sounds like you had a pretty good day and a good variety of fish with it!
Spratty:clap:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks chaps it genuinely was the luck of right place right day and i did pick a place i know produces when the fishing is generally quiet.
Dabslayer

·
Registered
249 Posts
well done Dabslayer!
Just thinking about that area myself this weekend, but you actually get to fish!!

It must have been hard work, it was bloomin hot!!

When you say "well out", or "at distance" in your posts, just how far is that for you?
I've got a feeling that it's probably way further than i can manage...at the moment but i'd like to get an idea.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Early on at slack water i was around the 140 yd mark. As tide incease went just 20 yards past the end of the groin. Best fishing was always around level with the end of the groin or just inside it so dont worry to much about the distance. Word of warning though there are one or snaggs close to the groin luckily i was using aberdeen blues and managed to straighten my hooks out. Changed my trace 4 or 5 times until I ended up with a single hook length about 2 foot long connected to my leader line about 4 foot up. So the hook in theory is never closer than 2 foot to the lead.
Good luck if you go you know which spot it is
Dabslayer

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Lol, old habits. No good running on about hole and fish while the moderator is away finding his own. Keep at 'em, corking summertime catch.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not often I say it but I was quite chuffed that I took the time to research my journals, mixed in with boyish excitement with every bite i had, summed the day up.
Dabslayer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts