World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The screen on my plotter has decided not to light up and is just flickering !! Is it foofed? What should I do? Typically the garentee has just run out, so is it fixable. Anyone had this happen to them?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The screen on my plotter has decided not to light up and is just flickering !! Is it foofed? What should I do? Typically the garentee has just run out, so is it fixable. Anyone had this happen to them?
Can't help with your screen problem but as this is just out of warranty - Check the last part of your consumers rights on the page link below and have a chat with whoever sold it to you. I'm sure they will be willing to have a look at it as it has just happened. You have a receipt I assume?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/guides_to/law_goods.shtml

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must have the receipt somewhere, cheers for the link, I will phone the place I got it and see if they are willing to help. I was hoping someone out there was going to say its just an LED problem or something easy, it probably needs a new screen

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
It will probably be something simple. The lcd screen ribbon connector may be like those on a laptop. They are always giving trouble with poor connections. It will be fixable I'm sure. I have a new Lowrance - same model - a friend visited me today with his 4 year old one to show me how he sets his up They seem reliable.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love mine, been a great tool and once I admitted to myself that I had to read the instructions it opened up a whole world. I still only use it for basic tracking and plotting but it has been 100% reliable up to now, great bit of kit for £300

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I had a Lowrance FF once, problems with it and absolutely no joy in the UK.

I contacted the parent compay in the US and they were superb, told them the fault, they told me the fix. I knew this already but couldn't get their UK franchisee to supply, Simpson Lawrence at the time. Now Silva, but for how long? Ordered the part from the parent company and emailed them my story. The part arrived 5 days later by fedex. Day after I complaind over the poor service from their franchisee they offered to send the part FOC.

Just my luck but saying that wasn't looking for a free fix, out of warranty like yours, just wanted backup and had no problem with paying.

Unfortunately customer service is sadly lacking in the UK and if Silva continues with their current abismal IMHO aftersales policy I forsee them loosing their franchise on Lowrance products.

Contact the parent company, tell them what is wrong, they will help.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I had a Lowrance FF once, problems with it and absolutely no joy in the UK.

I contacted the parent compay in the US and they were superb, told them the fault, they told me the fix. I knew this already but couldn't get their UK franchisee to supply, Simpson Lawrence at the time. Now Silva, but for how long? Ordered the part from the parent company and emailed them my story. The part arrived 5 days later by fedex. Day after I complaind over the poor service from their franchisee they offered to send the part FOC.

Just my luck but saying that wasn't looking for a free fix, out of warranty like yours, just wanted backup and had no problem with paying.

Unfortunately customer service is sadly lacking in the UK and if Silva continues with their current abismal IMHO aftersales policy I forsee them loosing their franchise on Lowrance products.

Contact the parent company, tell them what is wrong, they will help.
Silva are no longer the UK agents for Lowrance, you need to speak to.....

NAVICO UK LTD
Premier Way,
Abbey Park,
Romsey,
Hants,
SO51 9DH
or 01794 510010

I recently had a problem with my Globalmap 3500c, and also thought that it was out of warranty, so much so that I bought a new one,anyway I sent the faulty one off, 10 days later it came back repaired FOC, it turns out that all Lowrance kit has a 2 year warranty,consequently I now have a spare Lowrance Globalmap 3500c sat in my garage gathering dust!!!

cheers Ian

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
i had a problem with the antenna on my lowrance 3500cc plotter, thought it was out of date. went and bought a new 5200c plotter, sent the old antenerr away ourt of interest, a new one arrived yesterday.

·
Registered
842 Posts
i had a problem with the antenna on my lowrance 3500cc plotter, thought it was out of date. went and bought a new 5200c plotter, sent the old antenerr away ourt of interest, a new one arrived yesterday.

DITTO

That was the problem with mine , apparently the earlier receivers had a history of early failure!!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Mick, my 5150c did exactly this last year.
Luckily replaced under waranty.
Just returned it to Cactus Marine, they sorted the rest.

Hope you get yours sorted mate.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys thank you all so much, this is great info and I appreciate it all. I will get on the case tomorrow and hopefully one of these roads will lead to it getting sorted. In the mean time I am back to landmarks and knowledge, but I am sure those darn rocks move about sometimes just to **** me up and keep me on my toes. Thanks again to you all.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an up-date, I sent my plotter back to where I had bought it, http://www.jgtech.com/webshop.htm , and they got it sorted by sending me a brand new one, which is nice as the plotter was over a year old. I explained that my Navionics Gold card had always acted up a bit too since new (it wouldnt load automatically when I swithed on, I had to take it out and slide it back in whilst the plotter was on), and they replaced that too!! Great service, nice guy on the phone and cheap prices.

Not having my GPS for a couple of months cost me and my mate £4000 though, I was not paying attention and was complaitant in an area I shouldnt have been, whacked my engine, decided I needed a new one and we bought a 40 Etec, nice, went out saturday to try it, nice bit of kit and very little fuel burnt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts