World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm pretty new to all this fishing, and choose to take up LRF. Not had much luck with the lures yet, but I'm not giving up.

What success do you guys have in UK waters when fishing LRF in winter months? Should I stick to bottom fishing with bait at this time of year or will I still stand a chance of catching on lure?

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don’t know about sea but fresh water like canals and so on.. you can catch Perch and pike (try close to walls or under tree branches..). Light tackle, small silicons with 1-3 grams jigheads (this is all depend on depth and current). You can also use weedless style if it is snaggy, weedy or debris. Most important is slow retrieve and to find the right presentation. Sometimes dropshot will be better prevention, spinning can be too “fast” for the winter cold weather. Sometimes they prefer the lure (silicon) at the same place barely moves, just few tiny rattles from time to time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Just before Christmas I was getting whiting, pouting, poor cod and gobies galore drop shotting. Aquawave ami in white was most productive in term of variety, isomes tended to attract gobies a bit too much. Aquawaves jaconail didn't perform well in terms of numbers or variety but did pick out the bigger fish. IMG-20181117-WA0004.jpeg IMG-20181117-WA0002.jpeg IMG_20190103_170016.jpg

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts
Just slow everything down and concentrate on the lower quarter of water for most days. As your on Anglesey, there's still plenty to go at, Pollock, Wrasse, Coalfish, flatfish and now is the best time for Herring on the inner side of the break water. Point Lynas is good in winter, Amlwch,Trearddur bay, Bull Bay and many more, just choose a more settled day for most places and a bit of clarity in the water. Black lures work well if it's not super clear. Have quiet a few vids from Anglesey.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Ye I'm from holyhead and have had a go at the Herring there. Used small day lights on the 1st set of steps a little further along than where you were in the video.

I think this weekend, weather permitting, it may be a trip out with the small lures and plastics then.

Thanks once again

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts
Thanks guys. Ye I'm from holyhead and have had a go at the Herring there. Used small day lights on the 1st set of steps a little further along than where you were in the video.

I think this weekend, weather permitting, it may be a trip out with the small lures and plastics then.

Thanks once again
A bit further along

·
Registered
38 Posts
Night time is usually more productive down my end. Plenty of pollock, herring etc. Also, as I posted the other day, there are shed loads of mackerel about which is unusual.

·
Registered
17,035 Posts
I’m in Norway at the moment and it’s completely useless at this time of year and Iv been here many times in the past blanking on most occasions. Scotland or should I say Edinburgh where I life is terrible in the winter also although you can pretty much pick up a few coalies to save a blank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts