World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mate of mine in Austraila sent me a couple of Shimano Lucanus jigs to try here in the UK.
He has had a lot of succes using them in Port Philip bay on red snapper.
He knows I've a days fishing booked in October at Whitby wreck fishing for cod.
Be interested in seeing if the cod like them.
I got in toach with Shimano but these jigs are not available in the UK or Europe.
Shimano do a whole rage of this jig going from 60gm up to 200gm and in different colours
My mate sent me two 200gm ones. but at 17AU$ each plus 50AU$ postage they work out at 35 quid for the ttwo hey airn't cheap
there are some videos on utube of thes jigs in action.
Beak Gesture Feather Wing Tail

·
Registered
308 Posts
Always good to try something different and new in my book! I've seen a video of a lad using these in warm waters but will be very interested to know how you get on with them out from Whitby (y)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On this topic I wonder why it is that a company with a worldwide reputation for making quality fishing products
like the Stella reel don't offer their customs the same products worldwide in this case they seem to offer this and other jigs only to the usa or Australazie markets.

·
Registered
308 Posts
They divide up their global territories and supply the different market needs using forward orders from trade shows and discissions/sales pitches with bigger retailers to gauge the demand. The Internet has and is continuing to change this but ultimately it comes down to economies of scale - they generally don't supply product to a territory without establishing sufficient prior demand from retailers. A couple of quick emails to both Shimano UK and Europe might be worth anot outside bet? Offer to trial any samples they might have on the understanding that you'll provide a report and pictures and offer to return the samples. You never know unless you ask! I've had great customer service from the Dutch HQ in particular.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
I first started using these about 8-10 years ago and found them particularly attractive to sharks unfortunately. There are numerous similar styles of these that work well on snapper and other reef fish. Will be interesting to hear if you have any luck with them over there, 200g is heavy lump for its physical size. I mostly used them in 40-80g in depths from 50-110m.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
On this topic I wonder why it is that a company with a worldwide reputation for making quality fishing products
like the Stella reel don't offer their customs the same products worldwide in this case they seem to offer this and other jigs only to the usa or Australazie markets.

Not just terminal tackle but rods and reels too, we often have more on offer than the US market over here and better pricing. There are literally thousands of lures on offer from just this one store here https://www.motackle.com.au/our-store these are part of a chain of stores all over the country with similar offerings. We get both rods and reels before they are even posted on the manufacturers websites. For such a small population we have a huge amount of anglers both male female and children. My state alone has over 250,000 registered boat owners (sailing vessels and vessels under 10kts dont need rego).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts