World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the island for my 41st birthday and son's 6th birthday (born on the same day, good timing by me , ha ha). Took the kids to Robin Hill amusement park and then went in search of a spot for some night fishing.

We settled on the south end of Luccombe beach, just where the cliff starts to rise. With the whole family in tow fishing was a bit compromised, lights blazing and kids hooking themselves etc. However, I waited till everyone else had settled down and then had a go on the rising tide with high about 11pm. Conditions were flat with a very slight swell.

I was fishing squid and rag baits at 30 to 50m, both on the sand bar and in the gully which I noticed was full of lug casts. I had left my no 6 hooks and beads in the car and had a nasty headache from the sun, so didn't bother to make a proper sole rig, instead just fished a very short ledger to a no 4 hook.

Anyway, as the light faded the pout came in, stripping or taking the baits on every cast, and that was all the action I had on squid. As for worm, eventually I was rewarded by the gentle tapping of a flatty and in came a five inch plaice, returned in good condition. Ten minutes later I had a better pull and this was a plump sole of 29cm. I thought about it for a minute and decided to keep him for breakfast as the wife likes a sole and there seemed a good chance of catching afew more. For some reason I decided to wash the sand off the fish before killing him and he wasted no time in escaping back to sea ! I immediately felt happy to see him go and took it as a sign to stop fishing and go to bed.

All in all, a nice relaxed evening, and now I'm back on the mainland and in the mood for a serious sole bash.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Went to the island for my 41st birthday and son's 6th birthday (born on the same day, good timing by me , ha ha). Took the kids to Robin Hill amusement park and then went in search of a spot for some night fishing.

We settled on the south end of Luccombe beach, just where the cliff starts to rise. With the whole family in tow fishing was a bit compromised, lights blazing and kids hooking themselves etc. However, I waited till everyone else had settled down and then had a go on the rising tide with high about 11pm. Conditions were flat with a very slight swell.

I was fishing squid and rag baits at 30 to 50m, both on the sand bar and in the gully which I noticed was full of lug casts. I had left my no 6 hooks and beads in the car and had a nasty headache from the sun, so didn't bother to make a proper sole rig, instead just fished a very short ledger to a no 4 hook.

Anyway, as the light faded the pout came in, stripping or taking the baits on every cast, and that was all the action I had on squid. As for worm, eventually I was rewarded by the gentle tapping of a flatty and in came a five inch plaice, returned in good condition. Ten minutes later I had a better pull and this was a plump sole of 29cm. I thought about it for a minute and decided to keep him for breakfast as the wife likes a sole and there seemed a good chance of catching afew more. For some reason I decided to wash the sand off the fish before killing him and he wasted no time in escaping back to sea ! I immediately felt happy to see him go and took it as a sign to stop fishing and go to bed.

All in all, a nice relaxed evening, and now I'm back on the mainland and in the mood for a serious sole bash.
Nice one matey. He had a lucky escape then haha.:eek:hmy:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts