World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one now the best way to keep lug alive once it has been dug, do you put it in news paper straight away(have done this then put it in the fridge and it is dead within 48 hour's) when i go pumping i always go two day's before i go fishing and it alway's die's. help.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Like you Joe, I find Lug a problem, I put 1 worm in 2 sheets of newspaper and then double fold them, every couple of folds I put a worm in....never been able to keep them alive more than 2 days, with Rag I can keep them alive 3 days like you they go in the fridge, wifes not to happy about it :p I havent got the room to keep bait in tanks, sheds not big enough.

Dont think there is much more we can do with the worms.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
hi,
i just put my lug in a bucket so they arent piled up. just one layer of lug in each bucket. i cover the lug in just enough fresh sea water to cover them. change the water every day and they should last for a bit longer.
also . take out the dead and manky lug.

hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Joe,

Im with the newspaper lot of this one. However you could freeze a few of them for future use

Woodster

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
i takeit u are al on about black lug, i put blow lug into packs of 20-25 in the middle of two sheets of paper then fold it into a parcel and put it in the fridge, but again it's got about 48hrs maximum.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Never subscribed to keeping them in water even when the sea was literally at the bottom of the garden! I've always found that putting, them undamaged, in tens wrapped up in plenty of newspaper, and NEVER in the fridge (it kills them!!) I keep them alive in an insulated bait box with one freezer block changed every two-three days (on top of the thick layers of paper), keeps them fit for over a week. Check them every day for dead 'uns and put these in salt. I tried freezing them but found that although they still smelt of lug that there was usually more elastic than worm on the hook. I'd recommend the salting if you've got masses but once salted they must be wrapped up tight to exclude air (salt is deliquescent and will absorb water from the air reducing your lug to a salty but mushy mass!) Once threaded on, the wizened salted lug soon swells and resembles the real thing and catches fish - well I like salt on my food too!!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I now normally get lug that have been dug the same day. I can keep it in good nick for 4-5 days. All I do is keep it chilled and change the paper at least once a day to ensure they are kept dry and away from any wet air. Any dead are removed to avoid turning the others and I try to handle them with some care to avoid unecessary damage. Some lug I have had goes off quickly and I think this may be due to the conditions it was kept in prior to me getting it; perhaps being rained on when dug.

·
Registered
568 Posts
That's interesting Swelly - I usually keep mine in paper in the fridge, but they invariably get used within a couple of days. Thing is, My fridge freezer is on its last legs and I was considering replacing it with a chest freezer - but had been worried about the ability to keep fresh lug. Call me stupid, but I hadn't even considered a cool box... Guess where my next batch of worms are going to be stored :D

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheer's everyone i think im a little bit wiser now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts