World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn't it about time that lug were sold by weight, rather than number ?

It seems unfair to pay getting on for £20 / 100 only to receive 95 worms, half of which might be of a decent size, the rest made up with worms the size of babies' fingers.

I've no axe to grind here as I rarely buy lug, but why does this practice continue ?

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
I always thought that it was only blacks that were sold by number? I know thats the case here.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
£20.00 PER 100 lUG

I last year was paying £6.00 a rap of 10 so £20 per 100 or 90 sounds good to me.

But yes sell by weight but then will they be adding more sand to the product to increase the weight.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
£20.00 PER 100 lUG

But yes sell by weight but then will they be adding more sand to the product to increase the weight.
Well, they could do, but Trading Standards wouldn't like that.
Under the current system you have no redress as to poor quality as long as you get '100 lug', and most anglers never count them.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Billyfishing - these are lug not blacks, are the wraps lug? - I have had lug about an inch and a half long.

When in Wales, I buy them by weight,when you see the size of them you'd see why.

Different practices to different areas.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Many years ago I used to dig my own lugworm. (If anybody reading hasn't tried it, please go and try. It is very hard work and requires skill by the digger to locate the worms in quantity). Once obtained, if the weather then blew up making boating impossible, the worms were often wasted. A good supplier usually sorts worms into size and again as they start to "blow" obviously some have to be disposed of and many more start to reduce in size. A few of these smaller ones are no doubt mixed in with fresh ones to sell them by some suppliers. Not a good practice IMHO as they then start to degenerate and start the fresh worms on their way to blowing early.

It's a hard thing to keep fresh lugworm. Although I personally am in favour of pushing for suppliers to provide by weight instead of by numbers, we have to be real and allow the digger to make a living. If it became compulsory to buy lugworm by weight expect the realterm price to shoot up dramatically. If wer'e not happy with this we should go and dig ourselves!

Regards

Harry
PS Lugworm is one of the best baits around at times in my area and is well worth trying especially inshore.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
the shop where i buy my lug sells them by weight,but i am not really in favour of it, as he keeps his lug in salt water and the worms are full of water when you buy them. catch 22.
i prefer to dig my own where possible, and yes it is hard work.
i agree with teebee, if you buy your worms by number, how many people count them? and you can sometimes get very small worms mixed in.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Whilst on holiday in Scotland I dug some great lugworm, about fifteen of them.........then my back squeeled stopppppppppp and continued to ache all week!

Apart from the fact I live a good way from the sea I'd rather let someone with a stronger back bear the pain and I'll gladly pay the going rate. Bait diggers are a fitter breed than me!

Having said that billy you was getting fleeced at £6.00/wrap of 10! You should only be paying £3 to £4 tops for 10 blacks! I think fishing republic in Donny charge less than £4.00 for wraps of ten and his freezer has a good few in at the mo.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
There isnt any continuity in E Anglia over this. I can buy 100 rag in Norwich for £20 or 1lb rag in Sheringham for £16??

Id rather buy by weight, then you always know what you're getting rather than the 100 pathetic worms that can be the reality.

Matt

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Whilst on holiday in Scotland I dug some great lugworm, about fifteen of them.........then my back squeeled stopppppppppp and continued to ache all week!

Apart from the fact I live a good way from the sea I'd rather let someone with a stronger back bear the pain and I'll gladly pay the going rate. Bait diggers are a fitter breed than me!

Having said that billy you was getting fleeced at £6.00/wrap of 10! You should only be paying £3 to £4 tops for 10 blacks! I think fishing republic in Donny charge less than £4.00 for wraps of ten and his freezer has a good few in at the mo.
Thanks for that mate going to Waymouth next wk picking up a pound of fresh rag for £12 i think this is good but do not know how many to a pound.

G

·
Are they that much now? Last time i bought blow lug they were £16, and I thought that was a lot! In the winter, I use nothing else but squid, originaly out of principle against the cost and the poor quality of lug.

Then I moved onto 'unwashed squid' and discovered it worked better than the 'white' 1lb boxes and cought at least as many cod as lugworm at a fraction of the cost. Around £18-£20 will buy you 5kg of 'UW squid' or it did last time I bought a 5kg box. One kilo per angler on the boat is suficent.

I have experienced UW squid out fishing lug on a regular bassis, so use the 'hint of dul grey-cream/pink', 'unwashed squid' for an economick winter cod season on your boat.

ET's OPO

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Firstly, let's be clear thatI'm happy to pay the going rate.
I just think the system could be a lot fairer.

I'm also well aware that bait-digging is a back-breaking job, not one that I'd want to do, but that misses the point.

If your tackle dealer wants to bulk up your worm order with empty skins, or dried out and tiny worms, he can do so perfectly legally if you're buying by numbers. If you're buying by weight, he can do the same but at least it'll equate to more hookfuls of bait.

Or perhaps the NFSA could press for a 100mm MLS on lug.......:laugh:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I guess the answer is,(statin' the bleedin' obvious) go to a reputable tackle shop/bait digger and establish and maintain a good relationship with them.
I do most of my fishing at Walton and, almost exclusively, buy my bait from Richard Holgate. He's not the cheapest and, to be honest, not always the best, but if I go on the spur of the moment, Richard will always supply me with bait on demand. Doesn't matter then whether worms are supplied by weight or number, as long as you feel you're getting value for money.

Stu.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
100 scruffy old lug can be good value when the fish are taking 'em. At the end of the day we have to put up with the thick and thin end of the wedge if you want some bait to go fishing. If you put yourself in the tackle dealers position, all you would want would be to supply your customers with top class bait all on the time. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. If you don't think you get value for money don't but them - simple. Think about the effort to dig/farm them in the first place, the transport costs, storage costs, and risks the whole lot will rot and then consider whether it's a rough deal. Most tackle dealers will tell you they don't get too fat selling fresh lug/rag, but like to get people in the shop on the off chance they might buy a few bits and pieces.
Some diggers have very good relationships with keen, regular customers and if top quality fresh bait is a requirement then forge such a relationship.
A few packets of peeler, wraps of frozen black, and boxes of sea squid (unbleached) is a good standby, which can be cheaper and sometimes as good.
Not sure i'd welcome the OFT meddling?

G

·
A few packets of peeler, wraps of frozen black, and boxes of sea squid (unbleached) is a good standby, which can be cheaper and sometimes as good.
Not sure i'd welcome the OFT meddling?
I suspect most of you are beach anglers?? I fish exclusivly from my boat out of the Orwel. I first started using squid, as in those days I lived 2 hours from the nearest salt water. I new no better and kept a supply of bleached (washed squid; 1 pound boxes). It worked as a 'grab and go' weather window bait, but never fished as well as lug worm.

I had un washed squid recomended . . . ??? . . . but surly, the magazines say, frozen squid in 1lb boxes and snow white? Fought it for a while in my mind, but eventualy found a supply of UWSq. Then worms started to get pricy, so I thought, OK even if I dont catch so many, I wont feel riped off:huh: I know, the going rate and all that, this would have been early 2000's, cod were geting scarce. I used to use 200 lug in a session, by this time I'd cut it to 100 + a box of snow white 'fit for human conupmtion' squid.

The change to the UN washed type actuly increased the number of cod I cought. VHF chat was doom and gloom, no fish or very small . . . I had a decent catch on board. Finaly droped worm, expensive, quality was wildly veriable, it was obvious retailers were selling old bait that would not last 24 hours.

As far as the retailers are concerned, they have done themselves no favours in my book. If its old, say so, you have the option of not buying . . . and/or discount it . . . thats painfull:dry: You are more likly to go back to a shop who is honest.

I used to buy rag in the summer from the same shop, 15 minutes drive across town, the shop started dishing up poor quality, despite my loyalty. I now buy from a shop only 5 miniutes walk away, if I give him 24 hours notice, I can order, what size rag worms I want. Depending on bassing up the river or drifting the offshore banks. Quality is always good, up to 'get the lion tamers chair out':roll1:

The other thing we all do is buy our majour tackle items from the internet, or mail order discount houses. I can see the tackle dealers now defending their corner cos we dont buy majour items from them etc etc. Dont know the answer to that one, money is tight and getting tighter, forcing us to look at price??

No not me, its because, I cant get what brand I want from local dealers. Begs the question why, the answer, do they make more profit on brand 'A' compared to brand 'B'??? I know I'm a cynic!!!:spiteful:

ET's OPO

PS Do the magazines still advocate 'snow white squid' . . . not bought a mag for a long time, samo, samo stuff, last one was BFM Aug 20006 @ £2.99. By the way, now live 20 minuites drive from my marina based boat, ah, heaven.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts