World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I am often asked by different people if I can supply them with lug and other bait.
I have only lived here a few years, before then I lived in Cardiff where bait was freely available to anybody who had the money to buy it.
I started to dig because as far as i am aware there is nobody in the West of Ireland selling live bait,so I have two questions,
1. Does anybody in Ireland sell live lug?
2. How is it sold ( per kg or by the dozen) and how much does it cost?
O.k so its three questions really!
Any help you can give will be greatfully recieved. thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am often asked by different people if I can supply them with lug and other bait.
I have only lived here a few years, before then I lived in Cardiff where bait was freely available to anybody who had the money to buy it.
I started to dig because as far as i am aware there is nobody in the West of Ireland selling live bait,so I have two questions,
there isnt many places in the west of the country that sell live lug.. something to do with the whole supply and demand, and there's not much demand for it, which is surprising.. although us anglers in the west dont mind going out and digging our own lug..

however it is available to buy in the south and east coast, usually in packs of 20, 50 and 100 and price varies as well

the most i have ever paid was 20euro for 100 lug , but it was also in the middle of winter too..

i have had people willing to buy lug off me at 5euro per 50, but i think they were chancer's from the south east coast trying to get a quick one over me :wacko:

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Hi Guys,
normaly about a £1 per hundred, drop me a line if you start and ill give you your first order.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
normaly about a £1 per hundred, drop me a line if you start and ill give you your first order.
Cheers kenny, I,ll put you down for 50, and i'll pay delivery costs.
What part of Ireland is Algeria anyway?

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Cheers kenny, I,ll put you down for 50, and i'll pay delivery costs.
What part of Ireland is Algeria anyway?
Just up and round the corner and across the water from you...

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just up and round the corner and across the water from you...
Thats blown my ideas a bit, I got my son a BMX for his birthday and I hoped he would be able to do deliveries for me. I can still get you the worm but cannot guarentee live delivery to Algeria is that O.K With you. I can do a trial run with 25 small blow lug F.O.C.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
there isnt many places in the west of the country that sell live lug.. something to do with the whole supply and demand, and there's not much demand for it, which is surprising.. although us anglers in the west dont mind going out and digging our own lug..

however it is available to buy in the south and east coast, usually in packs of 20, 50 and 100 and price varies as well

the most i have ever paid was 20euro for 100 lug , but it was also in the middle of winter too..

i have had people willing to buy lug off me at 5euro per 50, but i think they were chancer's from the south east coast trying to get a quick one over me :wacko:
I have travelled to the West of Galway for over 30 years and have been unable to souce and buy Lug when over there, I don't have the time when there to find and dig my own, especially if flying in for a quick week-end

If you can point me in the right direction of where to buy any or sell me some when there I would be very much oblidged

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have travelled to the West of Galway for over 30 years and have been unable to souce and buy Lug when over there, I don't have the time when there to find and dig my own, especially if flying in for a quick week-end

If you can point me in the right direction of where to buy any or sell me some when there I would be very much oblidged
Smokey, if you give me a few days notice I'm sure i can sort you enough lug for your trip. Let me know when you plan to come over and I will P.M. you my phone number, Also let me know where you plan to fish and I can probably deliver them to the waters edge. If you are flying to Shannon you are only 30 minutes from me.
Kenny the joiner assures me £1/ 100 is the going rate:roll1::roll1:

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Smokey, if you give me a few days notice I'm sure i can sort you enough lug for your trip. Let me know when you plan to come over and I will P.M. you my phone number, Also let me know where you plan to fish and I can probably deliver them to the waters edge. If you are flying to Shannon you are only 30 minutes from me.
Kenny the joiner assures me £1/ 100 is the going rate:roll1::roll1:
Cheers will do

·
Registered
824 Posts
Just back from a fishing holiday in ireland,and i could,nt belive what i saw, there are sign posts everywhere telling you where to get bait,crabs lugworm and ragworm:thumbs:.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just back from a fishing holiday in ireland,and i could,nt belive what i saw, there are sign posts everywhere telling you where to get bait,crabs lugworm and ragworm:thumbs:.
Those brown signs are great, unfortunatley they all point to my house!
:blink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey!
I'm in Sligo for just one year of studies.
What do you think is the best way to get hold of fresh bait (lug and peelers)? Digging by my own? Lug seems to be in the harbor...
Thanks in advance!
flo

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey!
I'm in Sligo for just one year of studies.
What do you think is the best way to get hold of fresh bait (lug and peelers)? Digging by my own? Lug seems to be in the harbor...
Thanks in advance!
flo
From what everybody tells me I dont think you have much choice, if you want fresh lug you are going to have to dig for it. Have you checked if there are any local tackle shops? they can normally point out good places to dig if they dont stock lug.
In some areas they can be funny about digging in the harbour itself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes there is a local dealer, but he hasn't got fresh lug.
Nevertheless, today I bought myselfe a suitable fork in the diy store and at the end of the week I'll find out myselfe if there's some lug in the harbour... It's weird... In almost every German cost tackle shops you can buy fesh lug every day.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its pretty much the same in the Uk, lug is available at nearly all coastal tackle shops, but the total population of Ireland is under 5 million, the majority of Irish nationals that say they go sea fishing really mean they go mackerel bashing in the summer so there just isnt the demand for it here on the West coast.
Look at the tackle shops around, most of them carry a limited stock and cater for mackerel fishing or spinning. Most regular bait fishers send away for their gear. Im sure there are some better shops in areas of higher population density such as Dublin but as thats at least 3 hours away I may aswell go to the UK.
Having said that my local tackle shop ( which is also the post office) in Fanore does a good range of frozen bait, quality leads and enough bits and pieces to keep me going so I am greatful for that.
Digging has become part of the ritual for me and you soon get in to the habit of including it as part of a days sport.
Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts