World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there.

Moving to Multiplier use from Fixed Spools, and was wondering what you guys thought and used for night time rod tip illumination.

i've previously used tip lights, but they're bulky and would need strapping to the underside of the rod with multiplier use.

I've never used Luminous paint before or Isotopes.

What is the general method used?

I don't own a parrafin lamp, just an electric lamp and head torch for baiting up, etc.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I just use reflective tape, Crazyplums sells some good stuff. I find the moonlight is enough to make it shine or if you use a led headlamp then even better.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
cannot beat the stuff:clap3:
i'll second that!!! brilliant service too. look in the classifieds on here or input crazyplums on ebay... its also good for putting on your mooring bouy... we can spot ours from way off!!!!:)

·
Registered
424 Posts
The 'Mighty Bright' tape from Hugh can be obtained from Drag-on Signs -
01323 440830.

Review in TSF coming up ....

great when illuminated from the side; good idea to put your rod rest slightly parallel to the sea, so that you can still see bites, but give some illumination from side on.

It's not difficult to fix a 6v lamp onto a tripod and run it from a 6v 4Ahr sealed lead acid batter.
Lamp £1 from the pound shop and battery (rechargeable from a car battery charger 6v setting!) £3.90.

http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/lead-acid.html

The finished jobby looks like this .....

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o178/HAYLINGANGLER/tripodlamp-1.jpg

Ada
:)
Great idea!

John

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
i use tape i got ffrom crazyplums starts out red with a blue finish i also have a light which realy makes the tape shine

telling ya dont buy from ebay stuff go crazy plums m8

he does diff colours

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I have tried loads of different tip lights. I started with star lights taped on using the tape that they come with in the pack, and then I tried nearly every LED tip light on the market. I have had countless problems from these, from the light exploding during casts and watching all the guts floating through the air to the bracket falling off or going brittle and snapping off. I tried isotopes for a while after reading countless posts on here saying how good they are but they don't tell you that unless it is pitch black and there is no moon out, you can't see them! I am now using star lights again and have the holder for them now, which is just the job. I bought a job lot on ebay which cost me £4 for 150 star lights and to be honest you just can't beat them, I use them with multipliers no worries.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot to mention tip tapes!!! I use Mighty Bright from Crazyplums, it is blinding stuff. I also think he does a discount for WSF member if you buy some through the classifieds.

·
Registered
24,186 Posts
Like Bagstar says ,

I also found that Isotopes that are available in the UK are next to useless if there is any sort back ground light . or if it is still a grey dusk /dawn

You do not have to put the tip light upside down ..on the top of the rod is sufficient , use self amalgamating tape to " weld " the fixing in place or whip it in place above the second runner down/ about six inches back from the rods top end runner. This helps stop line /wind loops type foul ups especially if your using a fixed spool reel .

Reflective tape is OK if you want to be star gazing for most of your fishing session ...sometimes a combination of reflective tape and a tip light are the best solution for a nights fishing.
I use both on my Penn Fire tip beach caster and an isotope slid in some silicone tube and the extra tails of 10 mm are whipped on to my combo boat/surf caster ( with self amalgamating tape strip 6 mm wide )

It you use battery operated LED tip lights that have a " shoe" to insert the tip light ....make sure that the shoe is open to the butt of your rod other wise WHEEEEEEE your tip light will say good bye fairly quickly .

David

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
lightsticks can be cut open and the contents smeared on your rod tip
no nasty after effects that ive noticed wet line washes some off over time but generally speaking it works ok and is better than attaching a clip every cast

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I do have a nice little cheap LED clip on torch that sits nicely on the top of my rod rest and makes crazyplums's tip tape shine up very well. The only downside to this that I can see comes when fishing at close range for Bass where I like to fish in darkness and don't want torch light reflecting on the water.

·
Registered
24,186 Posts
Stop sodding around with tip lights etc.

White tip and or reflective tape.

1/2 hrs work on a £1-30 lamp and £3-90 rechargable battery.
(see post #6)

5 hrs star gazing last night and even the colour of the blank, every ring and the tip is illuminated for two rods.

Get off yer backsides .......

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o178/HAYLINGANGLER/tripodlamp2.jpg

Ada
Ada ,

I want to go fishing..... not become a Sherpa or have shipping following me!
... tip light = 35 gram , LED head light 50 gram

Your light and battery = 1.5 kg and you will still most likely need a head light

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Hello there.

Moving to Multiplier use from Fixed Spools, and was wondering what you guys thought and used for night time rod tip illumination.

i've previously used tip lights, but they're bulky and would need strapping to the underside of the rod with multiplier use.

I've never used Luminous paint before or Isotopes.

What is the general method used?

I don't own a parrafin lamp, just an electric lamp and head torch for baiting up, etc.
3m tip tape,can't be beaten.........full stop.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
The main reactant in light stick chemiluminescence reactions is 5-amino-2,3-dihydro-1,4-phthalazinedione (LUMINOL) and is listed as:

eye, skin and respiratory irritant.

I wouldn't split open the tubes.

Ada
i got the idea from kids messing with them at guy fawkes splitting bands n rings and painting their faces with it
never noticed any irritation myself coating a rod tip
irritant is a vague way of saying hmmm btw maff and cosh dish out tons of stuff on irritants seams they have to say something at times
what you would be doing sucking on a rod tip i dont know but i bet the same is said of the varnish the rings are whipped on by
sounds like the base is aklaline and thats the irritant but in open air it will evaporate i think

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
3m tip tape,can't be beaten.........full stop.

i tried 3m tape and found it a bit on the thick side, the tape i cut is probably the most reflective tape available (for it class / thickness). the fact that it isn't a thick material, allow for better application, and better tip action,

a little test for you, cut some solas or thick 3m into a 5mm wide strip, wrap it in a spiral along the length of your finger, do the same with mighty bright, see which bends easier ;-)

btw. here's a couple of vids, one application and one showing it in use with a naff single led headlight, and a near flat halogen light !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWDYHC6Zt9M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSfUDNYRJpk

i have no aversion to tip lights, though i wouldnt split one ! i stopped using them because they were easy to forget to buy / take with you / run out of. they were also naff when it was below freezing (except the proper starlights), hence i developed the tape, a cheap led headlight will run for several night sessions without the need to change the batteries, and will pick out the tape a treat.

·
Registered
257 Posts
ive got crazyplums tape good stuff. Also Lidl do boxes of starlights now and again you get fifty for 3 quid cheap enough

1 - 18 of 18 Posts