World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO...............After planning this trip for early June, we finally managed to reach Lundy on the 8th of August :boat:

Unfortunately we were going it alone, but..... we had a two day break in the weather, lets have it:yeah:

We planned to set sail out of the harbour 6.30am to bash some macky around combe before the 8.30am slack water and run to the island.
Talking to the local skippers, decided macky bashing around Capstone etc was a waste of time, but plenty to be had off the island.....

So couple of hours more sleep Friday night (on the boat), we set sail around 8.30 / 9.00pm. We made our way to the start line (Ilfracombe to Lundy yacht race), the cannon sounded - we took the lead within 10 mins !!!.
No one mentioned rules about using the engine ??:crazy:

The wind forecast was 6 knots, so the Yachts were struggling to make head way, we steamed ahead doing a back shacking, jaw dropping 8 knots :notworthy.

The 24 mile steam was looking about 3.5 or 4 hours, so Mr Green took the helm for the second half....

We left the clouds hanging over combe and set off in to the sun shine !!
Game on, it was like kids looking out the window and seeing snow for the first time :secret:

The tope O'Tope, alias Pykie couldnt wait to try on his leather 'strap on'
(harness) for size.....please any captions to the photo will be most welcome :clap3:.

We caught our first sight of the island, which still makes the hairs on the neck stand up, awesome place..

Mr Green, Pkyie and Tope o'Toole set about bashing the macky on feathers.. what can I say, with little effort the were banging macky left right and centre (I was asleep in the cabin, after taking pills for a bad back, then blowing chunks - but no one needs to know that bit:uhuh:)

They decided catching macky on feathers wasnt enough, so next on the feathers came Red Gurnard, then 'Bart the shark' lands a tope on feathers, using a spinning rod, carp bait runner fixed spool and 12lb main line :notworthy. Good lad for getting that aboard !!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then - the reason we came to Lundy.....time to have a go !!

We need rubby dubby......20 pigs were slaughtered for the trip (no its not a joke !!), but they had a good life :)
Pilchard oil, saw dust and fresh mackeral mashed to a pulp..

The smell on the boat was enough to keep the 50 yachts from crossing our ballons :punk:

The first drift was on......... the tides around Lundy are very strange - nothing like expected, but we were in the area, so its a waiting game.

Unfortunately nothing played ball the first day, so time to anchor up in the bay on Lundy, plenty of grub and beer on board, so game on :yeah:
Hummmmmm all asleep by 10pm :roll1:
Green done good and kept anchor watch at the helm..ALL NIGHT !!:giveup:

Woke up about 6.30am, lifted anchor, straight around the island to bash some macky for day 2 of rubby dubby......
Easy pickings........Bart and O'Toole bashed them out within 30mins..then proceeded to fill another tub with Pollock as bait...
Nice wrasse had by the bart man..

Round two of the rubby dubby chopped, mashed and ready to roll, 5 gallons of blood, a tree of saw dust.

Time to make the move off the island

This time it was planned to drift South of the island towards America !!

, in to the land of Porgies.

The weather was perfect, slight ripple on the water.....what more could these sharks ask for.

We drifted all day, not a touch....... gutted !!!!

Time to leave the island about 5pm and make our way back.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LUNDY DECIDED WE HAD PUT IN THE EFFORT, SO REWARDED US AS WE LEFT......

A pod of 80 - 100 Dolphins decided to join us for the leaving party..

AWESOME SIGHT

The photos dont do it justice (impossible to take the shot at the right time).
They were bow riding, coming to the side of boat, jumping clear of the water.....and there were loads of them !!!
Do we care we didnt catch a shark........maybe a bit....

Did the Dolphins make up for it...........

FOR SURE !!!

One problem with only doing 8 knots is crossing the shipping lanes :g::giveup:

These babies are going faster than we can, and timing the crossing in front of them is abit pant filling, but we arrived home - Tired, but safe and sound.

Respect to all on board, putting 100% effort to everything......A VERY BIG SHOUT to Bro...alias Bart the shark...... he didnt stop chopping rubby dubby all day...... as I said, the reason for not catching wasnt a lack of effort:notworthy Cheers Lads.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Well nick 100% is all you can give it m8 you went you saw did everything right but thats fishn.:notworthyThat chunk of rock is awesome and well done to bart with his tope,:clap2:the dolphins were telling you to return for another shot good luck and tight lines when you do.Aj.:fishing1::thumbs:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Brilliant report and pics Nick, awesome! :thumbs:You guys put in such a lot of effort in the build up to, and over the weekend, :notworthyit is a shame you weren't rewarded with a shark or two, however you did manage a smaller cousin:victory:. Full marks to you all and well done on finally making it to your destination, at least the weather relented at last.:sun:Better luck next time eh.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Jules, AJ and Rab.

Like you say.....you gotta be in it to win it, thats fishing..

Sinbad ran like a dream, didnt cough once & 100% confidence in the engine is needed when crossing the path of boats that eclipse the sun !!.

Didnt catch a shark, but still loved every minute...:boat:...

maybe next time

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
top bloomin weekend mate superb piccys and a first class report well done sinbad !!!!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
top bloomin weekend mate superb piccys and a first class report well done sinbad !!!!
Cheers mate, maybe now I can take the shark goggles off, sort out the lundy tunnel vision and get out after the tope before I miss the whole season !!.:giveup:

Will let ya know when its game on......(bathroom fitting this weekend:yucky:).

G

·
AWESOME reportage, Pixy! :clap3:

BRILLIANT pictures! :notworthy

FAB fishies! :fishing:

But tell us more about the blowing chunks!!!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AWESOME reportage, Pixy! :clap3:

BRILLIANT pictures! :notworthy

FAB fishies! :fishing:

But tell us more about the blowing chunks!!!

Ha ha ha...Jules.........I knew it....someone would enquire..

I reckon a skin full the night before in combe, then taking 2 x 500mg strong pain killers for my severe bad back didnt help......I tried eating, drinking, smoking...nothing helped...:yucky:....so I slept for a Feeeeeeewwwww hours.... then back to normal pix.......eating, drinking, smoking, without yacking !!:boat:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wicked Trip, report & Pics Bro :clap3: The trip started in a strange kind of way.....meeting the boys friday night, a few beers before heading off to sleep on the boat with my little brother:kissing: Then within 5 minutes of getting on the boat Friday night, my phone fell in the water (the water in the bilge umm) and was Donald Ducked :uhuh:
Saturday morning we were boarded by two pirates (Pikey Pirate & Beardy Pirate) one of which thought a great way to wake me and Mr Pix wasto put a balloon under each of our hands, right next too our heads......then stand back laughing before quickly plunging a ciggy straight into them :blink:
Then after we left early morning Mr Pix just went all ill, never seen it before prob never see it again.....but it was not nice to see :g: it was really day 2 in the trip before any life came back to the boy.
We had some nice fish, lovely weather and the most spectacular wildlife & Scenery you could ever have wished for :boat::notworthy
All in all no Shark :g: despite bro chunking up in the bucket:yucky:, on the up side we did not have to see pykie in his strap on again but this was a good learning trip regarding the tides around Lundy etc.
We will again set sail for these amazing creatures, catch one, tag it and release the beast for future genorations to enjoy.
To everyone who has posted regarding this trip Thank you, to all the crew of Sinbad......You snore like Rhinos :yeah: but thank you for one of the most enjoyable times of my life. Next time eh?
P.S A big shout to the boat, she did not drop a stroke all weekend :)

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wicked Trip, report & Pics Bro :clap3: The trip started in a strange kind of way.....meeting the boys friday night, a few beers before heading off to sleep on the boat with my little brother:kissing: Then within 5 minutes of getting on the boat Friday night, my phone fell in the water (the water in the bilge umm) and was Donald Ducked :uhuh:
Saturday morning we were boarded by two pirates (Pikey Pirate & Beardy Pirate) one of which thought a great way to wake me and Mr Pix wasto put a balloon under each of our hands, right next too our heads......then stand back laughing before quickly plunging a ciggy straight into them :blink:
Then after we left early morning Mr Pix just went all ill, never seen it before prob never see it again.....but it was not nice to see :g: it was really day 2 in the trip before any life came back to the boy.
We had some nice fish, lovely weather and the most spectacular wildlife & Scenery you could ever have wished for :boat::notworthy
All in all no Shark :g: despite bro chunking up in the bucket:yucky:, on the up side we did not have to see pykie in his strap on again but this was a good learning trip regarding the tides around Lundy etc.
We will again set sail for these amazing creatures, catch one, tag it and release the beast for future genorations to enjoy.
To everyone who has posted regarding this trip Thank you, to all the crew of Sinbad......You snore like Rhinos :yeah: but thank you for one of the most enjoyable times of my life. Next time eh?
P.S A big shout to the boat, she did not drop a stroke all weekend :)
I for sure hope I never feel how I felt on that day..... !!!

But was good to get back to normal:)

Hows the sun tan bro ??

TO MUCH HAPPY SLAPPING GOING ON FOR THE SHIRT OFF :clap3:

I think my report missed one vital piece of info......the food .

Eating like kings :notworthy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well done lads great report. Rab-UK and I did give you a call on radio on Saturday but no reply.We went out horse shoe then off woolacombe fishing was crap but the new engine never missed a beat and we had a great time.:boat:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well done lads great report. Rab-UK and I did give you a call on radio on Saturday but no reply.We went out horse shoe then off woolacombe fishing was crap but the new engine never missed a beat and we had a great time.:boat:
Hello Tommy & Rab, Sorry we did not pick up the call. When Sinbad is blasting along :g: its quite noisy in the wheelhouse so were prob steaming to new ground when u called. Sorry to hear the fishing was not good for u Sat, we will catch up and steam out some time soon. :boat:

P.s Your right bruv we ate like Kings, just remembered though we ate no fish ????

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Didnt hear ya mate ?, did you hear the mayday calls going all day ?, mostly from the Wales side of channel....I heard 'Orca' had trouble, (I thought Orca is from watersmouth ?) then another boat catching fire off a pier in wales....
followed by the coastgaurd telling them to put life jackets on and drop anchor !!
Seemed manic all day....:g:.

We were ready to help, but at 8 knots.......I'm guessing we were not much help !!:giveup:

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes mate we also heard the knob calling for his mate while a mayday was going on :uhuh:
???? I thought Orca was having his own issues ?, coastguard mentioned casualties......

I'm sure there were a few maydays going down.

I heard the chopper on 16, then he flew around the west side of Lundy towards wales....about 4pm Sunday.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts