World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Im a keen angler down here in west cornwall. I've recently been having some nice fish to spinners from the rocks here on the North Coast, but I have always wondered if lure fishing is a strictly dawn/daytime/dusk activity or can it be practiced in the dead of nite!! Has anyone ever tried lures at nite?? what species should I target, and any other tips gratefully recieved!! ta.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Up here in the Menai Straits we only ever caught Pollack when it was dark when I was a lad! The fish were small - 1-11/2 lb but masses of them. The lure was the simplest going, an inch of bicycle valve rubber (brown) on a size 6 hook. The rubber is cut to resemble a Norwegian eel and tied to form a cutve. Great at high water off the local pier. I now use a standard spinning rod and a Flying C (red).

If you chose a safe spot and fish are chasing fry/sandeels then they'll take anything you put in their way if it's in amongst the food.

There's been a thread on this forum regarding spinning for Mackies at night (amongst other things!!!) so have a look. Won't be long before you get a more athorititive post!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi Frags

Lure fishing at night is very underated, I fish into and out of darkness for Bass and Pollack with good results.

I find evening time into darkness best, the basic principles are;

To make your lure stand out you need light or vibration, a full moon or photophoresence in the water, to use artificial light such as a small starlight placed inside a redgill, or my favourite to use a glow in the dark redgill behind a bubble float.

Use lure like flying condoms or jointed and rattling plugs like the rapala sliver (deep water) J11, J13, the new X rap have fished well in the dark for me. Or a nice simple 1 is to use a large mepps spinner behind a bubble float.

If you decide to give it a proper go then P.M me and I will go more into depth (I can get carried away when it comes to lure fishing)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx for the info guys!! I will have a bash at it over the high tides late evenings this week!

Hey lurelover, I will be in your neck of the woods next sunday onwards for a few days!! Are there some good spots for lure fishing in Pembrokeshire.....im fancying talking a few strolls with me ed shcliffke plugger and a box of me old faithfuls!! :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
frags said:
thanx for the info guys!! I will have a bash at it over the high tides late evenings this week!

Hey lurelover, I will be in your neck of the woods next sunday onwards for a few days!! Are there some good spots for lure fishing in Pembrokeshire.....im fancying talking a few strolls with me ed shcliffke plugger and a box of me old faithfuls!! :)
There are loads of good marks around here for lure fishing, if you fancy a session then let me know and I will take you to a couple of good marks. The tides are a bit on the small side then, but I know of a few good low water marks that fish well in the evening.

E mail me before you set off if your up for a trip.

GB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts