World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
living in the south of england, sussex area, i want to try lure fishing this year.
bought all the gear already.

can someone advise what times of the year along with which species i can expect to go for.

cheers

·
Registered
22,142 Posts
I'd like to help but apart from catching a very small bass out side Poole Harbour September last year and a sea gull in October at Budliegh Salterton. That's about it from me.Good luck but I think after all my research you need to find out for your self.Try the top of this page on lure fishing ect it's full of information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in a very similar position... sussex area, want to learn more about lure fishing. I'd figured I could learn some from books and the web and then I'd have to start making my own mistakes...
If you fancy learning from each other's mistakes, do let me know.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Go as much as you can even if it's for an hour once you've found a venue that produces.I learnt to lure fish at Port Eynon on the Gower going down every weekend for a whole summer!I now feel confident that I can catch on a lure anywhere!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in a very similar position... sussex area, want to learn more about lure fishing. I'd figured I could learn some from books and the web and then I'd have to start making my own mistakes...
If you fancy learning from each other's mistakes, do let me know.
where do you fish. sounds like a good idea, blind leading the blind and all that :)

·
Banned
400 Posts
two things you need to remember about lure fishing, no matter where.

1) you dont need deep water for it.

most of the fish caught will be targeting smaller species that live in shallow water close to the shore.

2) the same lures will not always catch the same fish.

Mackerel will take anything that shines but pollock will take more natural looking lures, same for bass, trout etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
where do you fish. sounds like a good idea, blind leading the blind and all that :)

Ive just started as well i live in brighton and just brought the kit off a mate. I went for my first time last night in Shoreham it was nice to start off away from the public beach in Brighton, didn't catch anything but it was good just to have the rod in the water, some beers and stalking the shore

not too sure what sort of times are best i went at 5.30 yesterday til about 8.30 when it all got a bit dark, started off on the beach but couldn't really cast far enough then went to the estury type place which was better for spinning

i used to fish fresh water tho so im not a complete novice if you fancy coming along give me a shout ive also just joined the shoreham anglers club (SAS) im going to go to one of their meets and learn first hand

·
Registered
213 Posts
Dawn and dusk are always the hot times i find but i fish right through the day.Remember to keep moving about on the rocks and do not get in the rut of repetedley casting to the same spot with the same lures cast as close as you can bear, to rocks(be carefull not to get snagged it makes me feel sick when i lose a rapala) try all sorts of lures and you will find a favourite that takes fish.Travel light just a rucksack and rod and reel in your hand.Have fun Fly Caster

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice one.

apart from bass, macky and pollack, are there any other species that will readily take lures and plugs?

does anyone know if mullet can be caught this way?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello I live in Shoreham and have done a limited amount of spinning on the beaches between Brighton and here with reasonable success; mackerel, gars and the odd school bass. Conditions I've found that bring the fish in are the usual sunshine, flooding tide. My top lure is the old faithful 28g Dexter.
Mullet are a favourite target of mine, however I've only caught them on float fished bread. I've just bought some samll spinning rigs with tiny hooks from the Brighton angler, the fellers in the shop tell me these baited with bits of rag worm catch well in the rivers and estuaries. We'll see.

·
Banned
400 Posts
you wont catch mullet with a spinner. like mike said, flaoted bread on the very lightest tackle is the only decent method for catching the buggers.

mullet should only be fished for if you have hours to spare and an unlimited supply of patience.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
you wont catch mullet with a spinner. like mike said, flaoted bread on the very lightest tackle is the only decent method for catching the buggers.

mullet should only be fished for if you have hours to spare and an unlimited supply of patience.
Oh yes you will !! :)

small Mepps and bait the hook with maddies or small bit of rag, then spin back in as per normal.

www.kentcharterfishing.com

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
It's a great method for mainly thin lips,often sorts out the biggest from the shoal!

·
Banned
820 Posts
really?

ive never tried that or seen anybody else try it.
Yes worth a try here.
I saw this being used succesfully for Mullet when I was in Greece. Local anglers were using a tiny green sand worm on very light gear with a small mepps type spoon with the treble removed and a 6 inch mono link to a single hook baited with the worm. The mullet could be seen following it clearly and bullying each other out of the way to get at the worm.

Baited sppons have been used for years for flounders and plaice here in the UK. so why would it not work on Mullet?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Baited spoons are very successful for mullet. Even John wilson has done a show catching them this way in Christchurch harbour.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Baited spoons are very successful for mullet. Even John wilson has done a show catching them this way in Christchurch harbour.
Yes your right Flyguy I remember it now.

Folks tend to be a bit disparaging and doubtfull about new or unusual methods they haven't heard of. I would tend to do my homework first and possibly try it before passing comment.
Fish don't think like humans. Personally I would try anything just for the fun of it. That's what makes fishing interesting for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts