World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have decided this summer im going to try my hand at Lure fishing... appreciate its harder than bait fishing and get many more blanks, but im detrmined to give it a go.. mainly for health reasons..

cos i know i have to be more mobile moving around Whilst lure fishing..... which in turn will help me get more healthy walking along beaches and clambering rocks all day.

anyways... my question is can any1 advise with equipement needed on a shoestring budget... minnimum wage crap job and mrs out of work atm.. doesnt allow me the luxery of unlimited resources. hence im on a tight budget.

have had a look on ebay for items i think maybe ideal for my situation. heres what i found so far. does any1 know of any cheaper alternatives that would be cheaper ? and better ?

heres reel im considering . im sure another regular poster on here uses this and he says its a great lil reel iirc. but as requested above . does any1 know of any cheaper? better? alternatives... ty
SHIMANO EXAGE 4000FC 5,1:1 EXG-4000FC New FISHING REEL SPINNING 022255129848 | eBay

rod im considering..... With the rod im not experienced enough to know which rod length/weight would be best... any suggestons or ideas more than welcome.
okuma lure mania spinning rods! crazy prices! | eBay

Line im considering.... again similar to above unsure on which line weight to use and wether fluro , braid etc .. thinking about this braid atm at 15lb breaking strain
Ron Thompson Hyper-Strong Braid Sensitive Line for Spinning, Boat Pier Fishing | eBay

Lures im hoping to use are..

Abu Garcia Toby Lures
Savage Sandeels
Maria Angel-Kiss
Patchinko
Chug Bugs
Shoreline Shiner

Appreciate i know ill need to build up llure collection considerably due to one may work well one time but not another... any other recomendations for lures muchly welcome also.

i think that completes what i aim to purchase ready for the lure fishing months.. or can anybody spot something that is a neccesity for lure fishing which i have missed out (apart from lure box and somekinda smaller holdall )

all feedback and advice more than welcome..

ty in advance for any "if any" replies

regards steve :)

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Nice one steve, check out second hand coarse reels on the bay, gumtree , you can pick up some good gear which has never seen salt water and sometimes has braid attached could save you a bit.
same with 2 nd hand rods as someone is always upgrading.
I use an old abu for my lure, spinning it even has cork handles ....sounds like the beginning of a sketch.
But always carry a few dexter wedges......great spinners and saved many a blank..

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thnx for input...

any of you more experienced lure anglers able to give me lure advice..ie: which ones best for rock/sand marks.. and also which best for top/medium/bottom spinning ?

again thnx in advance

·
Banned
15,860 Posts
My advice would be to get a Dexter wiggle stick lure, cheap around £6 ish and it does the business

Tony (std) knows somebody who sells lures on Anglesey perhaps contact him might be able to save you postage costs :thumbs:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My advice would be to get a Dexter wiggle stick lure, cheap around £6 ish and it does the business

Tony (std) knows somebody who sells lures on Anglesey perhaps contact him might be able to save you postage costs :thumbs:
yes m8 he toldme about his mate last summer.. i "THINK" he buys those chinese lures that sell on ebay for cheap and then re-sells them (i maybe wrong) .... ive already got a load of those. . ty anyway bud

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Don't overlook the cheap ones straight off , handy to use as scouts in areas you aren't sure off...

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Top lures I would go for are sidewinder sandeels in pearl, 4inch, just tie them on and cast them out, easy.

Chug Bug
Dexter Wiggle stick
Savage gear panic prey
storm wildeye sandeels
toby
dexter wedge
wave worms hooked on weedless texposer hooks, just flick them out and fish them really slowly.

These will all be easy to use for a newbie and are fairly cheap but good quality. If you are that skint I would just buy a few packets of the sidewinder sandeels, a chug bug and a couple of tobys. Wouldn't bother buying the patchinko as the panic prey is an exact copy but half the price.

A good site for cheap soft plastics and some hard lures is agmdiscountfishing

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I've just bought a 9ft okuma octana 10-35g bass lure rod for £65, included in that they give you a okuma trio fd40 for free. The rod retails @ £100 I think it is and the reel @ £75 I believe. Not only that when confirming the order I also got a free pair of polarised fishing glasses and case. All in all came to £66.40 including next day delivery and postal insurance. As far as lures are concerned I'm a bit of a newbie, had a few goes last year (6 and no fish!) but this year going to do much more. I've got a range of lures but over the last few weeks have added;

Yo Zuri duel lipless lure x2
Megabass zonk gartride yoro yoro x2
Tackle house feed shallow x2
Seaspin pro q 120.

Most of these have been bought off the internet and with a saving on most too, it just takes a little searching. My last purchases been the feed shallow lures at £30 for both delivered, I'm just looking to add a patchinko in 500g, some fiiish black minnow in the 10g and 12g sizes and maybe a couple of the ima komomo lures and a smaller Seaspin pro q lure. I tend to mainly bait fish but like the idea of taking a bass on the lures hence the little investment. Hope some of that is of use.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Also you will need braid scissors as normal ones tend to struggle a bit with braid. I use a couple to three foot of 20lb leader to the lure with a lure clip also. Polarised sun glasses are a great addition too, I'm gutted when I forget them. Don't have to be expensive, you can get them for £25.

Maybe get a reel with two spools and fill one with 12lb mono so you can change if you don't get on with the braid, so you can keep fishing. a box with separators to keep your lures in and I think that should be it!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Shimano reels and the Exage is a cracker for the price. As for rods have you looked at the Savage Gear range? I've got a Bushwhacker and a Salt and they're both brilliant rods for the money.

Lure wise the Shoreline Shiner you mention is one of my more succesful lures but though the Patchinko has a great reputation I've yet to catch on the larger version, Savage Gear also do a copy of the Patch called the Panic Prey which is less than half the price. Also at the cheaper end of the market lures like the Chug Bug and the Dexter range are all great value for the money.

Just a word of warning though, no matter how good your intentions to do things at a reasonable cost lure fishing is highly addictive and you run a serious risk of becoming a tackle tart where shiny lures are concerned, I speak from bitter experience :laugh:

Menai Angling in Menai Bridge have a great range of lures and gear and they can offer you some great advice plus Malcs rackle emporium is a great place for a bargain, including a great choice of rods including the Savage Gear range.

Good luck with it all and I'm sure you won't regret it :thumbs:.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
All great advice so far and I don't really have much to add.
Let me tell you what I use as we fish more or less the same area.
9ft rod 10-40g, the length is ideal for extra distance but not too long as some places I haven't the room to cast a longer rod.
Many to choose from depending on you budget from an Abu Vendetta to a Bushwacker that are good value for the price. Mine is a Daiwa Powermesh but that retails at £100 but I did start myself with a Abu Devil for £30 and that came with a reel. Bass don't see the price tag lol and I did catch a 7lb bass on it with no problems.
The casting weight is spot and covers a wide variety of lures unless you want to use super light ones.
Reel I use is the Shimano Exage and yes it's not cheap but it will last you twice or three times as long as a cheap one (buy cheap, buy twice)
With lures you cant beat the real deal branded lures but other cheaper options do come close and cost a hell of a lot less. I suppose it doesn't break the bank if you lose a £5 lure compared to the £20 plus ones.
Lures that have worked best for are mostly copies but I do use the Patchinko, Zonk, Chug Bug and the faithful Dexter Wiggle stick.
If you are ever in Malcolm's ABC Beaumaris then check out his bargain lure box for some good deals. He will also do you a good deal on a rod and reel also.
I suppose I better mention my mates Ebay lures lol. They are mostly copies of the real thing that he gets from Asia then sells them on Ebay.
Mostly good quality and I have caught on them and the Zonk he sells is very good and I cant wait to try it.
I will put a link up for the Zonk which is the most expensive he sells but most are around the £5 mark. Oh and he also does the Maria Angels kiss and I do rate that one and the Duel Dolce in all white, heres the link-

Minnow Lure 128mm 24g (Megabass Zonk Style) Bass, Pollock, Pike | eBay

Minnow Lure 125mm 20g (Duel Dolce Style) Bass, Pollock, Pike | eBay

Minnow Lure 28g 140mm (Maria Angel Kiss style) Bass, Pollock, Pike | eBay

Oh and don't mention my name as he was getting a bit upset with me.
I did say before that if you mention my name he will give you a free lure but he wasn't impressed lol.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Range. By Tesco on Bangor retail park has good range of lures at a reasonable price .

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
All great advice so far and I don't really have much to add.
Let me tell you what I use as we fish more or less the same area.
9ft rod 10-40g, the length is ideal for extra distance but not too long as some places I haven't the room to cast a longer rod.
Many to choose from depending on you budget from an Abu Vendetta to a Bushwacker that are good value for the price. Mine is a Daiwa Powermesh but that retails at £100 but I did start myself with a Abu Devil for £30 and that came with a reel. Bass don't see the price tag lol and I did catch a 7lb bass on it with no problems.
The casting weight is spot and covers a wide variety of lures unless you want to use super light ones.
Reel I use is the Shimano Exage and yes it's not cheap but it will last you twice or three times as long as a cheap one (buy cheap, buy twice)
With lures you cant beat the real deal branded lures but other cheaper options do come close and cost a hell of a lot less. I suppose it doesn't break the bank if you lose a £5 lure compared to the £20 plus ones.
Lures that have worked best for are mostly copies but I do use the Patchinko, Zonk, Chug Bug and the faithful Dexter Wiggle stick.
If you are ever in Malcolm's ABC Beaumaris then check out his bargain lure box for some good deals. He will also do you a good deal on a rod and reel also.
I suppose I better mention my mates Ebay lures lol. They are mostly copies of the real thing that he gets from Asia then sells them on Ebay.
Mostly good quality and I have caught on them and the Zonk he sells is very good and I cant wait to try it.
I will put a link up for the Zonk which is the most expensive he sells but most are around the £5 mark. Oh and he also does the Maria Angels kiss and I do rate that one and the Duel Dolce in all white, heres the link-
T
Minnow Lure 128mm 24g (Megabass Zonk Style) Bass, Pollock, Pike | eBay

Minnow Lure 125mm 20g (Duel Dolce Style) Bass, Pollock, Pike | eBay

Minnow Lure 28g 140mm (Maria Angel Kiss style) Bass, Pollock, Pike | eBay

Oh and don't mention my name as he was getting a bit upset with me.
I did say before that if you mention my name he will give you a free lure but he wasn't impressed lol.
I've had a few off him as well as the branded stuff I've ordered. The zonks look very good, I bought 2. Will try them at £8 before chucking in the real things depending were I am fishing. And I have had a couple of the feed shallow type and comparing to the real deal on first looks there's not much in the shape pretty much the same. Finish on the real one is better, though I doubt very much the fish can tell the difference. You can always use the cheaper lures so 'suss' an area out until your happy to through something in a little expensive. And he's very good, delivered quickly and I've had the odd freebie! :yeah:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Got a few lures that you can have if you want fella, nothing special, but I've had fish on them, I use sp's far more now. Not sure if it will have you money but go a 3000 size reel, better balance.
One lure I would buy is the red and gold one in the links stb put up. Brilliant lure

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Try Cheshire fishing for savage gear, okuma octana, and fish zone black rock hellboy £25.99, cracking rod, plus half price savage lures, and loads of other gear very cheap
Dave

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the input and links guys... will defo be purchasing a few of the above mention items. think ill go for two rods... 1 with a lighter casting weight for the smaller lures and a heavier one for the larger ones..

thnx again , much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts