World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAN SOMONE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON LURE FISHING PLEASE? I FEEL LIKE JUST WANDERING THE BEACHES DOWN HERE IN SUNNY SELSEY
ADVICE ON RODS LURES ECT THANK YOU?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hi Fizz. Try a 10ft spinning rod casting around 10-60 gramms or a 2lb test carp rod. Match it to a small fixed spool reel loaded ideally with 30lb braid and a clear mono shock leader. As for lures, a good start would be Abu Toby's , Kosters or Dexter Wedges. If plugging for Bass try Rapala J11 and J13 in blue or brown, Mackerel pattern Magnums or surface poppers like Maria Chicoboco's. Best time is generally low water up, first light or dusk. For the ultimate fun a 6ft single handed baitcasting rod and small multiplier can't be beat.Hope this helps and good luck.

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
hi fizz,i use a 9ft fladen power stick,not the best rod in the world but ideal for light spinning for bass matched with an abu cardinal 45,its a nice cheap set up for about £30,the cardinal range is the best because they have rear drags and anti reverse,i have to agree dawn or dusk on low water is the best times,try to look for rocky outcrops or piers anywhere bass can hide and just cast about 25-30 ft and do a slow retrieve,hope this helps, make sure you have the drag set because if a bass does strike it will strip line of the spool this hopefully you wont lose it

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replys all i,ll have a look for a rod im good for the reels and give it a go thanks again

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hi fizz!
I was new to the lure fishing last year. After trying several outfits I found the best lure fishing rod should be at least 10ft long, even longer - gives you better control over rocks and weed. Get 2-2.5lb carp rod 10-12ft any make. Depending on the cash you have, get the lightest you can afford.
THE BEST REEL for spinning, by my opinion, is Shimano Exage 2500 front drag - light, smooth, powerful, indestructible and CHEEP! I use 12lb braid and 8lb fluorocarbon leader.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Cheapest is a Chinese made Carp rod (£20) and an Okuma for about £15) This will allow you to try this branch of the sport out. Other wise the reel is the Daiwa Regal X Bait runner which is about (£30-35) (The Z has more ball bearings and I've seen that down to £34.99) as it is now gettting old but takes a hammering and the saltwater.

I've got a Ed Schifca(?) Rockhopper to go with the Regal and use Berkley braid. It will cast lures (Dexter Wedges, and Toby's (I like the Brown and Brass ones) and Flying Cs. Obviously Plugs are also good as already mentioned (I like the White with a Red head both small single bodied or the jointed ones with a little more weight. The rod/reel setup is really well balanced and satisfying to use.

I particularly enjoy using the Carp rod however as I can use it for freelining with the same reel and line. I just tie on a swivel and three foot of snood with a link tied to it. This allows me to attach a short snood and hook with a peeler and cast out using the Bait Runner gearing on the reel to detect bites. If Bass or Mackeral show up I can quickly remove hook length and slip on a lure. The Rod has a 2.75lb action which allows spinning although the rod like many has a 'through' action. A well designed spinning rod has a stiffer mid and butt section which allows far more precision in casting I think, but I'm no expert. I'm experimenting with weighted Shads using them sink-and-draw with this setup. It's also great with a dead or livebait. Used for freelining you only ever lose hooks as you don't use/need weights. I can usually cast out about 30yds with a good sized bait/lure.

I've recently bought a 7' Ugly Spin baitcaster and a small multiplier with magnetic braking (£20 second hand) but find that I need much more practice to avoid birsnests (Don't have problems with me Abu Mag so perhaps the far smaller spool spins faster or something! Perhaps i'm getting old!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts