World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
just curious as to how many lures ppl lose on average over a season? Thinking more of hard baits rather than SP lures. I only seem to lose a couple generally cheaper deeper diving lures when im trying to suss out a new mark.
just wondered how many ppl risk it all by fishing very close to structure / weed / bottom etc and how many play it safe to keep hold of their shiny new pieces of ( expensive) plastic

WSF Primary Administrator.
Hi all
just curious as to how many lures ppl lose on average over a season? Thinking more of hard baits rather than SP lures. I only seem to lose a couple generally cheaper deeper diving lures when im trying to suss out a new mark.
just wondered how many ppl risk it all by fishing very close to structure / weed / bottom etc and how many play it safe to keep hold of their shiny new pieces of ( expensive) plastic
Just to deviate slightly ......Fantastic Avatar pic :laugh:

Registered
For me, maybe ~5 lures a year ish.
It's normally because I'm being too cocky and trying to swim it too close to a gulley or rocks.

I think I lost 2 zonks last year :(

Registered
To suss out a new spot, i put on a weedless sp and feel for structure, weed beds and gullies. Then when i know where things are i put on the hards. Seems to work as I rarely lose any lures now, maybe 1 every 10 or 15 trips.

Read Only
I would estimate half a dozen HP's if I'm lucky, usually through bad angling! For me it is the more expensive lures I loose.
If I'm trying a new mark I aim to start with surface lures, then work my way down the water column. It's strange but where I fish I loose lots of SP's, mainly Redgills so stopped using them on those marks.
I purchased quite a few cheaper HP's to use as pawns but just like Chess, it's far more fun winging the Knights and Queen around!

Read Only
Lose a few tide minnows in a day one place when it's going off in the surf lures washed onto rocks. Maybe knacker out 10 patchinkos a year cracked arse water logged . And another 10-20 lures snapped bibs ruined finish snagged up, used to lose a few snapping off on a cast doesn't happen anymore.

Registered
Lost 6 last year, 3 of which I'm putting down to a bad choice in braid the others user error, Seems it's always the rarer, always out of stock expensive ones you seem to lose though. Found a few too including a 500g patch I couldn't find in stock anywhere it's always worth walking the reefs/estuary marks at low water, tend to find most near the schoolie marks I'm guessing as it's where beginners gravitate too. Got returned a few mini jigs by the local divers too after I'd had a particularly bad day all for the price of a beer.

Registered
a lot less than I used to. now i use surface lures a lot of the time and if i'm not using them I'm using shallow divers. If i need to go deeper i use soft plastics, and then I lose loads. I dont fish mid water much anymore.

Registered
I lose maybe 2-3 branded lures a year and maybe 5-6 copies.
I lose count how many SP's but there cheap enough.
If I fish a mark with plenty of snags I always put on a cheaper copy to suss it out first as it's heart breaking losing a 拢20 lure.
The cheaper one's are very similar indeed and it's doesn't break the bank or your heart if you lose one.
Just a few of the copies I use but it's hard to find decent one's as the hooks are normally crap-
Minnow Lure 125mm 20G (Tackle House Feed Shallow Style) Bass, Pollock, Pike | eBay
Payo Seashot Minnow lure Pike Seabass Pink Tiger | eBay
Minnow Lure 110mm 14g (Megabass Vision Oneten Style) Bass, Pollock, Pike | eBay
Minnow Lure 128mm 24g (Megabass Zonk Style) Bass, Pollock, Pike | eBay

Registered
I normally lose 4 or 5 lures per sesh... mainly to big 'doubles' reaching/going around structure....and then I wake up !?!?!

Seriously......half a dozen or so per year...mainly deep divers and sinking lures /vibration lures....worked too close to structure.

As my collection has grown so has my willingness to cast em into more gnarly places..and catch rate is up ..so worth the losses !?!

Also lure fishing regularly has help build experience of each lure's characteristics and action.. and the marks I fish are now very familiar to me....so I get 'caught out' far less now by snags.

(Also, I now buy almost all my 'name' lures from Far East retailers and work on maintaining an average price of around 拢11.50 per lure inc. shipping..this alone helps a lot when every so often I lose one !?!?...I just think back to what I used to spend per sesh on rag/lug,fishbait , and fuel for the car!?!?)

Registered
think i lost 2 or 3 last season, the most gutted about was i lost a mint zip baits monsoon breaker to a snag, Ggrrrrrrrrrrr....

Registered
I tend to lose more SP's than hard lures as most of my hard lures are either surface or shallow diving, I lost a hard lure to a snag a couple of weeks ago, luckily got it back at low tide though. I lose quite a few SP's but only 3 or 4 hard lures per season I recon.

Like Kerdiff Ladd, my view is even a 拢20+ lure is nothing compared to what I would have spent on bait in the past for a session.

Registered
Lost 1 patch last year to a poorly tied knot (lesson learned), a few more to my own stupidity/conditions and about 4 to nets or remnants of nets. Snags this year I plan to clip line, tie off and retrieve at low tide if possible. Keeping backing up the braid then replacing when necessary will be cheaper than replacing lures I reckon.

Registered
We probably lose enough Fiiish minnows during the season to make a tidy profit for the company. They're better than any other weedless SPs I've tried but on the reefs we play on it's rare day when we don't lose half a dozen or more. But compared with the cost of running the boat it's small beer ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts