World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small tide, bitter NW wind, sea temp back down to 9.7C - I must be crazy to go bass luring in these conditions.
But one of the joys of being retired is being able to go fishing at odd times.
And one of the joys of living a short walk from your boat is that brief sessions are viable, even in unpromising conditions.
So, muffled to the eyebrows, I motored on a gently flooding tide today to a favourite mark where lure selection was the first decision.
In cold water, the bass were unlikely to come to a surface or shallow-diving lure, while over the shallows a deeper diver would be dredging up weed.
Although the water was clear, the afternoon was dark and stormy, so I picked out a colourful Hound Glide and whacked it out across the tide, aided by a stiff following wind.
After several casts, it was hit hard by a feisty schoolie, which was joined by two more after a lot of casting. All the takes were at long range, but eventually the Glide was walloped just 30 feet from the boat by a fish which surfaced in a flurry of foam and head-shaking and promptly fell off. Do my barbless trebles cost me some fish? Don't know, don't care!
After numerous unproductive lure changes, I moved a couple of hundred yards up-tide, where I lost a fish on a Flatbacker in similar circumstances.
Then it was back to the original spot once the tide changed, picking up a fourth fish on the Glide.
Once the water warms up and some baitfish arrive, we can look forward to many more and bigger bass.
For now, four hard-won early-April schoolies feels like a result to me. PH

Attachments

·
Registered
8,505 Posts
well done knocking out a few early season fish in difficult conditions

1 - 6 of 6 Posts