World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having never used a dedicated lure rod before & owning a LOT of lures, I'm thinking to take the plunge & see how I get on with one.
I've always got by with a 9ft spinning rod (4 pce) & although I've never lure fished in the UK, I seem to manage ok when abroad.
Any thoughts on what I can get for around £200, or thereabouts ?
I'l be looking to fish along the South Wales coastline to begin with, mainly from the rocks (yes, fishing in the chocolate water).
I've been looking at the HTO Nebula 12-42g as I imagine I'd need something with a bit of grunt (so to speak), but I am open to suggestions.
Basically, lure rods, I've very limited knowledge of, but I want to start using the correct gear to work the lures properly, as they cost enough to start with !!
Thanks in advance for any info, can't think why I didn't do it years ago. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Likely the end of your bait days.

Just go with that new Majorcraft EU?
£199.
If Mark333 and Henry Gilbey are happy with it, and it has been designed by FishDorset, I would think that is all the recommendation you need.
(If you don't know those names already, you soon will)

Enjoy.

·
Registered
621 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
The nebula is a very capable rod ,with good fittings, very fast action so may struggle with lighter weight softs , but hards at range will be spot on , at 134 quid its a steal,
Ive got 42 and 56 gm ones and use them normally in preference to my shore game , (although that is 30grm)

·
Registered
8,538 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input lads, & yes, I know of those guys & quite a few distinguished names before they came on the scene too (regarding Bass fishing).
I'm thinking it's going to be the Majorcraft EU, as I believe that using something of quality goes a long way in how confident u feel when fishing.
One thing that niggles me tho is that lures came about a very long time before specific lure rods, & plenty of fish were still being caught back then, on rods more powerful than a lot of the spinning rods we use today.
My biggest concern tho, is watching the rods in use in the video's & how alien the action of the rods seem to me !
Bearing in mind that I'm primarily a beach angler, & compared to my beach casters, bass rods & spinning rods, these lure rods seem...well...."floppy."
I understand it's all about finesse & controlling what lure your using at the time (especially SP's), so it's going to be the case of biting the bullet & c'ing for myself what the hype is all about.
I really appreciate your help here guys, thanks again.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Having never used a dedicated lure rod before & owning a LOT of lures, I'm thinking to take the plunge & see how I get on with one.
I've always got by with a 9ft spinning rod (4 pce) & although I've never lure fished in the UK, I seem to manage ok when abroad.
Any thoughts on what I can get for around £200, or thereabouts ?
I'l be looking to fish along the South Wales coastline to begin with, mainly from the rocks (yes, fishing in the chocolate water).
I've been looking at the HTO Nebula 12-42g as I imagine I'd need something with a bit of grunt (so to speak), but I am open to suggestions.
Basically, lure rods, I've very limited knowledge of, but I want to start using the correct gear to work the lures properly, as they cost enough to start with !!
Thanks in advance for any info, can't think why I didn't do it years ago. :thumbsdown:
And don't forget the discount at Art of Fishing for being a member here..

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Thanks for the input lads, & yes, I know of those guys & quite a few distinguished names before they came on the scene too (regarding Bass fishing).
I'm thinking it's going to be the Majorcraft EU, as I believe that using something of quality goes a long way in how confident u feel when fishing.
One thing that niggles me tho is that lures came about a very long time before specific lure rods, & plenty of fish were still being caught back then, on rods more powerful than a lot of the spinning rods we use today.
My biggest concern tho, is watching the rods in use in the video's & how alien the action of the rods seem to me !
Bearing in mind that I'm primarily a beach angler, & compared to my beach casters, bass rods & spinning rods, these lure rods seem...well...."floppy."
I understand it's all about finesse & controlling what lure your using at the time (especially SP's), so it's going to be the case of biting the bullet & c'ing for myself what the hype is all about.
I really appreciate your help here guys, thanks again.
Hiya mate,
If you go for one of the Majorcraft EU range...and bearing in mind where you'll predominately be fishing... imho...I'd consider the 9'6" 15-42g ..... (TCX-962M/EU Custom – 9ft 6in – 15-42g)
The old Skyroad 9'6" 15-42g is a class act... very versatile..and with 'grunt' that lighter rated L or ML rods do not have
If this new EU 'M' version emulates that rod in any way.....it should have the necessary 'grunt' I think you'll need!
Good Hunting!

p.s. once you've nailed and beached a 7lb bass on one of these rods ..second cast into a session... you'll wonder why you spent all those years and cash on bait ..'beachcasting'! I did!

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I had a go of the eu 30 yesterday, not as fast as a nebula and softer in the tip, its bit more versatile imo, still, i also had a go with 12grm bfms in 20 ft of water at 40 yds on the 42gm neb and could feel it touch down.and bump

1 - 9 of 9 Posts